Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 17:35   #1

Boat: Dream, 16 - 30 ft
G'day, Stepping Aboard Today...

Hello All,
Thanks for the opportunity to step aboard. I'm new to forums and new sailing. I don't have a boat just a dream and desire to sail the coastal waterways around Australia. I'm transitioning to retirement, adventurous in spirit and creaky in the knees. My beloved is more interested in wandering around the coast in a motorbike with sidecar, which is beginning to happen. She's a great passenger, but doesn't have quite the interest in things that go bob in water as myself, so I'm in the exploratory stages of identifying a way to wander around the country on land and sea sometimes with my mate and sometimes on my Jack Malone.
So while we are doing our sail training, I am cruising the Internet looking at everything from kyaks with sails to cruising liveaboards and back to trailer sailers.
I guess I'm not the only one to sail in circles not sure how to get to where I think I want to be!
On this circle I am again considering trailer sailers and would appreciate stories about boats that can be managed single handedly on land and sea. I have sufficient tow capacity for all trailer sailers I've researched but am getting swamped between glorious reviews by manufacturers and advertising critics and shock critics shooting down everything that sails.
So in joining the forum I'm hoping to learn from those who's interest is in enjoying the wind, the sea and the stars.
Cheers, Ava.yak
Ava.yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 19:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Welcome to the forum. Do be careful hanging out with sailors and general boat bums as the disease is quite contagious.

Maybe you can get the other half interested if you bring her along slowly. Try a charter in calm, protected waters in nice weather. I'm sure the sight of the clear, blue tropical water will get her interest.

Good luck,

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 21:29   #3

G'day...
Am also transitioning to retirement (early 2010) with the plan to buy the best liveaboard yacht I can afford.
Good luck with your dream. Don't have an "other half" to consider so it's just a matter of "biting the bullet". Have told so many people of my plans however, that not to do it is not an option!
markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 00:59   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome aboard...

Trailer sailors are generally protected water boats so i suppose that is the shooting down your getting living in the rough and tumble environment of Australia.

Not that there cant be or isn't suitable trailer craft you just have to look harder or build one.

A compromise might be a trailer for a standard fixed keel boat of 28' or so...you cant launch it per say from a boat launch but have to have it lifted in...but at least you could eliminate moorage fees and most of the maintenance and babysitting associated with keeping a boat in the salt all the time..and by having it at home its easy to work on as well and your free to pursue other travels without managing a boat in the water back at home.

The only real draw back is spur of the moment day sailing is almost impossible due to rig up time stepping the mast and getting the boat ready to sail...but there again options abound...maybe rent a slip for 3 or 4 months and sail the pants off of it... then put it away for the season..and go side caring..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:31   #5

Nice to hear from you guys.

Skip, I appreciate the wisdom of a charter on tropical lagoon but alas, we sort of blew it with the beginners sail class. Beating into a thirty knot southerly and the pale green complexion No 1's Took on sort of tainted an otherwise great weekend. So I guess the tropical lagoon once I get my competent crew certificate is a good plan.
Markje4. Keep up the talk mate and good luck with the boat search. If you come across an interesting trailerable pocket cruiser I'd appreciate a note.
Still raining, you are talking to the nub of the problem trailer sailers are a compromise which is ok by me. I don't want to circumnavigate Tasmainia at this stage. My search criteria is something I can handle on my own and be able to sail it home when the conditions change. I hear what your saying about trailering a keel boat and I'm also with you on the downside. Hence I'm back considering trailer sailers. I appreciate the arguments for a sailboat cross runabout, like a Macgreggor, for the quick run home, however, I'm more attracted towards finding something able to sail home. Happy to use moretime and less fuel. Which are boats biased towards that side of the design equation?
Old 11-12-2009, 21:06   #6

Think you missed my point about a trailer for a real keel boat that's capable of some beyond harbor sailing...Might be the best of both world for you.

They are not considered trailer sailors but it has and is done.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 11-12-2009, 22:28   #7

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on the retirement and I hope that you are ready to spend it well. If you are just exploring the realm of sailing, then this is a great place for you. We have tons of minds filled with wisdom, and a few filled with fluff. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Spencer
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here.
regards,
Old 12-12-2009, 13:34   #9

Stillraining, still thinking.

G'day again Stillraining,
Hello Spencer & SkipJohn, thanks for saying hello .
Stillraining,
Thanks for the extra poke in the thinking department. I was dismissing your thoughts on trailering a keelboat from the difficulty of the operation compared to a genuine trailer sailer point of view. I was focusing on the spontaneity dampening factors and the non availability of hoists at various locations I was bringing to mind.
However, you have prodded my thinking... trailering the boat from one major location to the next ... avoiding long sea legs or untoward seasons ... relocating, mooring and sailing in and about the desireable areas.
The fair weather sailer, coastal tourist/fisherman and occassional adventurer. Ummm!
This could fit with our grey nomad aspirations and marry No1's and my interests. (possibly in a Desi Arnez & Lucile Ball sort of way, ha ha!! ... worrying, but possibly true ... ouch!! )

So you have got my attention .... a trailerable/relocatable keelboat.
Now for the search criteria, the wisdom and the wit!
1) What are the factors, design features that would rule a boat in as a trailerable keelboat? [Specific suggestions also welcome]
2) What are the factors, design features that would preclude consideration?
3) What is the personality profile necessary for contemplating such a ?

Here's to you all (I know it says popcorn but a bit like a beer!!!)
Old 12-12-2009, 19:32   #10

OK first..you need to determine what your usage is really going to be?.. If all you intend to do is sail protected waters and lakes..then yes a true trailer sailor is the way to go...if your planning on leaving the bar and rounding any headlands then it for sure is not.

I was ruling out retractables for this exercise and focusing on criteria for realistically trailering a fixed keel boat in the 26 to 28' range...I know not of any fully retractables worthy of the open ocean that are not one offs or at the least very rare to be considered exotic's and usually not for sale...so will leave you to your search for the one you feel best suits your plans in that case.

Maybe my vision of Australia is vastly different then what it really is but my minds eye has it similar to leaving the Columbia River bar and immediately being in unprotected waters...no place for any real trailer sailors with no real fixed keel portion..IMHO.

FWIW...I have turned turtal in a trailor sailor in a lake..the keel retracted and was usless in any righting ability..we nearly lost the boat...locking pins do shear.

Old 12-12-2009, 20:01   #11

Thanks Stillraining, I appreciate your opinion and its basis on trailer sailers beyond the bar. Without knowing the Columbia River ... it sounds somewhat similiar. As a minimum I want to go beyond the bar on good days and I would like to venture along the coast. Oceans arn't talking to me.
Old 12-12-2009, 20:56   #12

This is how I would answer your 3 questions then

1) 10' max. beam..13'6" Max height on trailer to top of stanchions or cabin top which ever is highest ...8500 to 10,000 GVW depending on what tow rig you have...deck stepped mast head rig.

2) Keel stepped...steel construction unless really light..anything over the above specks...permitting issues to travel get tighter at least in US.

3) Not a hot head...patients will be needed...jack of all trades..fix trailer..fix boat...fix tow vehicle...ability to enjoy the journey and the details as well as anything else and roll with the punches..if it takes an extra day to get there and an extra day to rig up and take down your cool with that....your on Island time already anyway right!!!

Benefits...you have a boat that will take more then you can....plus real storage...real tank-age...your trailer can have good electric breaks as it will never see the water...etc..etc..etc.