Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 00:45   #1

G'Day from Melb. Australia

Been reading through many of the informative threads to get a better picture of the Sailing with intent to purchase a 26' - 40' mono in the next 12 months or so... After relocating to the Capricorn coast (Yeppoon).

Watching all those Youtube Channels has inspired the SO and I to learn to Sail and hit the Coastal Waterways... Had boats for over a decade... just not the wind-up variety... Had my eye on an entry level later model Macgregor 26X, alas it appears to be shot down in flames after reading these forums... Cheers.

Disclaimer: User name....an incident involving a Mate, his German Car, a Pier and his angry ex-wife in FNQ... I was trying to recover his wallet and phone from the submerged 7 Series when the plods arrived..........

"Right..i..o, So who's the UBoat Commander"
UBoat Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 01:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: G'Day from Melb. Australia

Howdy, G'Day and Welcome Aboard CF!

I can imagine your likely name for your first boat to be "Das Boot."

Enjoy your time on the forum and on the water.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 02:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Commander.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 03:24   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Welcome UBC.

I’m a Melbourne born lad who learned to sail on Westernport and Port Phillip.

Which is going to be your sailing ground?

26 to 40 feet is one heck of a big range. Should be able to find something within those parameters.

If you get something at the bigger end of that scale then Tassie is only a quick sail away. Well worth a visit.

Or if you feel like playing around on The Bass for longer, nick around to S.A. and see what’s on offer around here.

Matt
Old 30-05-2018, 00:45   #5

Hey Matt, Thanks for the welcome.. I use to do a lot of fishing out of my Streaker 5.02 in both bays when the kids were young...(both at Uni)

I sailed a small Hobbie Cat?... down the bay at Rye a few years back... Didn't find it too complicated, just physics really... different story with a bigger boat, Navionics, Ropes, Draft and real coastal water no doubt..

We won't be purchasing until settled in Cane Toad County.... appears to be a huge range of coastal boats between Cairns and Hervey Bay. I don't fancy sailing a rig around and up the coast with my experience, I'd make a home for small sealife real quick.....

I'm on a reconnaissance mission next month driving from Cairns down to Brisbane with stops at Airlie, Mackay, Yeppoon and Hervey Bay to get a feel for the cruising scene, RYA Sailing Lessons and eyeball some boats..

When we were on holiday in Yeppoon back in 2014, we wandered down to Rosslyn Bay Marina just to have a look at some boats (had know idea what I was looking at at this stage) and the Yachties couldn't have been more friendly and informative.. Took 2 hours to walk the marina.... So the Blue Water Yacht Club will be a definite beverage stop on the trip...

I liked the trailerable 26 Macgregor as a trial short term liveaboard while learning to stay upright in the WhitSundays, but from what I read it sails like a brick so Plan B maybe a 30' SV to get the learning done...

The dream is to upscale to a 43 Cat (Lagoon or Leopard $$$$??) in the next few years and have a run out into the Pacific Islands.... but I have to paddle before I can freestyle so will see how it goes...

Cheers Andrew
UBoat Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 17:52   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 390 1990 model Seduction of Melbourne

Hi Andrew welcome aboard ...I,m Tim a Melbourne sailor with a 40 ft cruising yacht and always looking to chat with likeminded people with regard to sailing I can be contacted at 0409414293 ....email tim1945@optusnet.com.au
Cheers best regards Tim
timjf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia