Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2008, 21:10   #1

Boat: 34 ft. Boro Temptress S/V Anarchy
G'Day and thanks for the forum

Hello and thankyou for the forum.
I have enjoyed spending time browsing and reading the fun bits as well as the more serious side of sailing.
I hope to be able to contribute in some small way and perhaps even add a story or two as well.
My wife and I have finaly bought our boat. A 34ft steel Boro Temptress. Its on a cradle at home, here in Ballarat Australia. We have stripped it out completly and are hoping to refit and get her into the water this summer. We have a mooring at the Western Beach Boat club in Geelong Australia and for a time we will call that home.
Our kids have all grown and are independant so ITS OUR TIME... YIPPEE.
Time to let go of the house and the past and sail into the future. We may even catch up with some of you when we venture out. At least I hope so.
My wife and best friend, Watergypsy (who is also a newbie to the forum) was the instigator for this sailing venture and I thought at first that she joking. I was honestly taken aback because the thought of sailing had never crossed my mind.
In fact, when I realised she was serious, I felt a sense of panic. What did we know about sailing? I had fished a bit and have a small tinny that I take out to Corio Bay. And I had experienced many a freakout with the conditions turning horrible, being lucky to get back to shore. In fact when I knew she was serious I organised a Saturday afternoon sail on a 40ft yacht with a friend to see how we would fare. It did nothing for me except FREAK ME OUT even more. The seas were rough and the boat was tossed. My role on this occasion was balast. Shift from port to starboard and hang my legs over the side. I was glad to get off.
I was under dressed, wet and miserable. I came home and said sorry, but I just cant do it. Lets get a bus.
It wasnt until she persisted and gently coaxed me to try again that we bought a trailer sailer. A Hartley TS16 that we refurbished. We had some fun and scary times with that little boat but she succeeded. I'm hooked. I cant go a day without thinking about where we can go and how our boat will sail after a refit and the minor alterations we are making. I have to focus on finishing the house to put it up for sale and its hard not to get distracted with the boat. Even now, I'm talking boats on this forum. I should be painting or finishing off the bathroom. Perhaps I should ask the forum for advise as to how to stay focused.
I will be seeking advise and suggestions on matters relating to the fitout when the time comes and when I have gained enough experience I may even venture to put forward my views when I feel confident enough.
Nice to meet you all and regards
BigPete
BigPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 22:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Whatr a great introduction Pete. It sounds like a bad experience didn't sour you for life. That's good. Too many sailors don't know how to introduce people to sailing.

You plan sounds great and your gypsy sounds great too.

Enjoy the forums!

PS - Bus = Bad idea - They don't float at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bus.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	5139  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 23:11   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Peter,
Wish you both all the best but dont think just 'cos the kids have gone it means the end of supporting them! Somehow they seem to have this invisible bit of bungy cord that springs them back just when you dont need it!
Cheers
JOHN
Old 22-09-2008, 01:42   #4

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson

Pete
Good luck with the project.We have just got rid of our two money magnets and like you its time for us
cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 04:37   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Pete,

Just when we think we know our partner. They go, and do something REALLY CRAZY. Like suggesting sailing........oh the suffering....lolololol
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 08:25   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
Sounds like it is too late for the pills and shock treatment, you have already regressed to stage 3 sailing addict.

The only viable treatment is to move onboard a boat, and experts are now believeing that this treatment has been known to have a measure of success in weaning people away from sailing after 50 or 60 years.
Old 22-09-2008, 12:04   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Big Pete,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here on the forsylum.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote