Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2006, 21:03   #1

G'day

Hi there.

Just new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I have booked my partner and I into a sailing course for early November in Sydney. Looking forward to getting out on the water and asking lots of questions here in the future.

Regards,

Craig Pinkerton
cpinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 08:24   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
G'day to you and welcome to you both to these forums. Ask away, but sometimes a quick search may reveal an existing thread, which is appropriate to your query, and thus increases the relevant data stored in the same location! You may even find that the same question has already been addressed.
The more detail you can include in any query, the easier to provide a decent response.

Training is an important part of staying safe, but attitude of mind is even more important.
Old 27-08-2006, 11:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome Craig! When you start getting active in asking questions, you may find that filling out the profile information will assist those, that wish to respond to you, be more specific and appropriate to your particular situation.

You can add information to your profile by either clicking on your member name in your post, or by clicking on the word PROFILE in the banner menu at the top right of this screen (just under the globe).

Good luck !
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 15:09   #4
Bob Norson

Greetings

Always good to see another Aussie join the group.

I hear it's cold down there right now!

Cheers
Old 08-10-2006, 18:55   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Craig,
Welcome aboard!! Learn to sail, buy a 32-35 foot boat and sail over here. There's a beer waiting for you.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 14:00   #6

Update

Hi there,

Been a while since my first post so though I would update the progress so far.

As of November last year we are certified "Competent Crew" sailors. Course was conducted in Sydney Harbour on a 32 footer. Wind was excellent, around 10-15 k every day. Sun was out and the harbour was at its very best.

Since then we've been out for a night sail which certainly gave a different perspective on navigation. To be honest we came away a bit concerned about a few of the navigations lights around Sydney Harbour. Wouldn't be too keen about sailing into the harbour around sunset. Once again the wind was good and the weather mild. T-shirts and shorts still fine at 11pm at night.

On this past weekend we chartered our first yacht out on Pittwater (body of water just north of Sydney Harbour). This was the first time we sailed without any instructor on board and we passed with flying colours. The boat was a 31 foot Bavaria which would be fair to say was set up on the conservative side. The weather was not as kind this time. We had a distinct lack of wind at various times which forced us to motor. We also got a wet backside when a few showers that had been threatening most of the day decided to dump upon us. Still enjoyed the day very much.

We are now exploring a couple of options. Perhaps joining a mile catchers program either up or down the Queensland cost for 10 days. Or maybe just cruising around the Whitsundays for a few days. I'm more likely to give racing a go but my partner is less competetive and is of a "cruising" bent.

We'd also be very keen for more experience around Sydney, so if you are on the look out for crew who are not that experienced but are keen to learn then send me a message. I must admit we have looked longingly out to the open ocean beyond the harbour and wondered what sticking the nose of the boat out for a while would be like. Unfortunately chartering rules forbid us to do this.

That will do for now. The sailing bug has definitely bit. I'll keep you guys updated as we gain more experience.

Regards,

Craig
cpinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 15:25   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thanks for the update. Still got that beer in the cooler, well, maybe its a different one. Anyway by the time you get here there'll be another.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote