Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2008, 10:05   #1

Boat: outremer
future cruiser

Hi! I intend to get myself a boat in the 45'+ range in a few years. I'm new to sailing, but I can barely wait to quit my job, go back to school, and really enjoy exploring with adventurous friends.

Humans weren't meant to spent their lives in cubicles listening to multiple managers drone on about "Is this Good for the Company"!!
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:13   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Welcome aboard. How many is "a few years." There are lots of folks on 5 and ten year plans. We started planning in 1991, bought the boat in 2001 and it was 2004 before we did any real cruising.

If you stay with it, you can make the dream come true.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:43   #3

hmmm.. the master plan is:

0) Never borrow
1) develop on my passion for music production, work for brother's business (1 yr)
2) quit current job, save up for school
3) go to school for biogerontology
4) study for 9 years, taking summers and winters off for sailing/exploring
5) contribute to breakthroughs in cell (anti)aging, resulting in dramatically increased life span for all
6) teach? charter voyages?
7) ???

ok that is a bit ambitious, but that sums up my dreams. I've only been in the cubicle life for 8 years, but I've made up my mind that I will not be doing this much longer. More realistically it will be two years or more before I really see the savings build up.. And more than likely I'll be trying to enlist as crew for those summers rather than piloting my own vessel..

I've never been very good at planning but I like to think that my inefficiencies are due to dissatisfaction with the current career. So I'm going to say I have a 5 year plan!
Old 29-05-2008, 11:45   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
klawrence,

Nothing was ever accomplished without dreams. Keeping focused is the problem for most. You can move a mountain if you want to! BEST WISHES, and surround yourself with the dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pictures, models, vacations, daysails, charters....... I think you get the picture. Oh yes......and WELCOME
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 12:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawrence View Post
Hi! I intend to get myself a boat in the 45'+ range in a few years. I'm new to sailing, but I can barely wait to quit my job, go back to school, and really enjoy exploring with adventurous friends.

Humans weren't meant to spent their lives in cubicles listening to multiple managers drone on about "Is this Good for the Company"!!
welcome klawrence:

Austin, hey? Small world. May I suggest you get a small sailboat and get out on Lake Travis and start learning. You'll learn more, quicker in a small sailboat than in a large sailboat. Our Cape Dory, Seraph, is at Commanders Point, on Lake Travis.. we sail every weekend. In the summer we sail at night to avoid the heat of the day. The Corpus Christi Sailing Academy. located in CC, has boats for charter.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 12:55   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

0) Never borrow

I've only been in the cubicle life for 8 years,
I am curious.
Did you just make up this plan or have you been living it?
How much have you saved up to this point?

PS. I had a lot of money at age 25. Then I got married and had kids. I now have less.

PPS. Stick to your plans.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 14:52   #7

I had been living it better than most, I think. when I first graduated I bought a new car, paid too much for my apartment, went out allll the time. Eventually I sold that car and made do with a clunker for a few months (with no AC). Then the texas summer hit and I couldn't take it, bought another new car (another loan), sunk a bunch of money into putting a blower on it -- hey I did my own work at least -- then got lucky when the company was bought up by a private equity firm (all options vested). Sold that, ended up with bit of cash. Since then I still have made some dumb, unneeded, extravagant purchases, but no outstanding debt, no wife or kids. I'm up to about 30K, which I know is nowhere near enough... that excludes 401k, which might pay for boat slips in the distant future. And of course I don't expect to be getting any s.s.

But now, I'm buckling down and getting serious!! I ride a bike most places, live two miles from work, brew my own beer, rarely eat out. The pain is in trying to use my after-work time for productive things. I've always felt the need to unwind. Having goals is helping with the motivation...
Old 29-05-2008, 16:58   #8

Boat: Alpa42 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to VieuxMalin
Klawrence,

READ this book:

The Cruising Life: A Commonsense ... - Google Ricerca Libri

that's the only thing you can rightly do for now.
You will thank me.
Good luck
Old 29-05-2008, 17:37   #9

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
How old are you?
My guess is some tight little hard body will come along and put a dent in the iron clad plan.
Old 29-05-2008, 18:16   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

But now, I'm buckling down and getting serious!! I ride a bike most places, live two miles from work, brew my own beer, rarely eat out. The pain is in trying to use my after-work time for productive things. I've always felt the need to unwind. Having goals is helping with the motivation...
Luck to ya!
Old 29-05-2008, 18:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
How old are you?
My guess is some tight little hard body will come along and put a dent in the iron clad plan.
As long as he doesn't "unwind".
Old 29-05-2008, 18:41   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:

0) Never borrow
1) develop on my passion for music production, work for brother's business (1 yr)
2) quit current job, save up for school
3) go to school for biogerontology
4) study for 9 years, taking summers and winters off for sailing/exploring
5) contribute to breakthroughs in cell (anti)aging, resulting in dramatically increased life span for all
6) teach? charter voyages?
7) ???

ok that is a bit ambitious, but that sums up my dreams. I've only been in the cubicle life for 8 years, but I've made up my mind that I will not be doing this much longer. More realistically it will be two years or more before I really see the savings build up.. And more than likely I'll be trying to enlist as crew for those summers rather than piloting my own vessel..

I've never been very good at planning but I like to think that my inefficiencies are due to dissatisfaction with the current career. So I'm going to say I have a 5 year plan!
...Buy a small inexpensive boat and sail now. I think John Lenon said "Life is what's happening while you're busy making plans".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 18:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxMalin View Post
Klawrence,

READ this book:

The Cruising Life: A Commonsense ... - Google Ricerca Libri

that's the only thing you can rightly do for now.
You will thank me.
Good luck
I just ordered the book.

Thanks.
Old 30-05-2008, 02:50   #14

Boat: Alpa42 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to VieuxMalin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I just ordered the book.

Thanks.
I am glad you did, mate. It just opened up my mind so clearly that if I meet the author one day at an achoring site, I will rush to hug him!
Old 30-05-2008, 06:55   #15

thanks for the comments, and the link to the book! I will probably find an inexpensive boat this summer