Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2010, 13:46   #1

Boat: Custom 24, San Juan 34
From Racer to Cruiser

Hi all,
I realize now that I should have posted here before posting elsewhere! Please excuse my gaffe, and allow me to introduce myself! I grew up by the water, but didn't start sailing until I met my husband. We met in Newport, where he was sailing for the French for AC, on Intrepid (trial horse for France 3). Nice name! We were sailmakers for almost 20 years, and got to race on some amazing boats. He did the Westlawn course, and he designed and we built our 24'. We raced her for 25 years, and even last summer she was still winning races.

In October we bought a San Juan 34, and spent the winter making her feel loved again! New wiring, new plumbing, new cabin soles, new and up-to-code propane system, new cushions, new dodger, new hatches, repaired rudder, new head, new showers-whew, I'm tired just writing about it!

I am so excited about going cruising! Inboard engine! Roller furling! Lazy jacks! Showers! A real head, and stove!

It was great to find this site. I've learned a lot here, but still have so much to learn about our new sailing style. Thank you for all your help.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 14:07   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Welcome aboard.... And it's about time!

You'll find buckets full of reformed racers here. And a few confused souls who have not yet seen the light.

And don't be shy about posting a few pictures of how the boat looks with all the new gear. We love show-and-tell here at CF.
Old 16-04-2010, 14:21   #3

I can remember the first time I was invited to go racing. I brought along a six-pack of Bud and some chips, thinking it would be a nice day out on the water.

Nice day, hell! Capn' Ahab worked me like a dog. Adding sail, tightening sail, removing battens, adding battens. I was almost too tired to drink a beer as we headed back to the yacht club after the race. I never crewed for him again, as I figured my 9-5 "paying" job worked me hard enough already.

From that day on, I treated my days on the water as a gift; something to be treasured, not abused.
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 16:32   #4

Bash, I will be happy to post before and after photos when I get a chance to figure out how! Alan, I've crewed for more screamers than I would have liked! You know how small boats like to anchor near government marks to fish? Wonder what they're thinking as the fleet comes barreling down around them, hoisting the 'chute and dropping the jib, swearing a blue streak as they go!
Old 16-04-2010, 16:33   #5

Racers are great sailors; you'll have it easy out there. :-)
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 16:46   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well its really to late to say Welcome aboard ...so I will just say don't be stingy with you obvious wealth of racing knowledge....wish I had some of it..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 22:54   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 22-04-2010, 22:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
I can remember the first time I was invited to go racing. I brought along a six-pack of Bud and some chips, thinking it would be a nice day out on the water.

Nice day, hell! Capn' Ahab worked me like a dog. Adding sail, tightening sail, removing battens, adding battens. I was almost too tired to drink a beer as we headed back to the yacht club after the race. I never crewed for him again, as I figured my 9-5 "paying" job worked me hard enough already.

From that day on, I treated my days on the water as a gift; something to be treasured, not abused.
He allowed you to bring the six pack on??? Must not have been a serious racer.

Last time I raced on a "serious" boat anyone who was "rude" enough to bring backpacks, drinks and other gear had it dumped in the dock locker. Gloves and jacket only. And you better need the jacket...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 11:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Thank you!
Old 25-04-2010, 10:59   #10

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Intrepid,
All sailors are racers - just got to line up two boats and it happens! We too enjoyed many years on the race track - and despite being pretty serious - we never ran a dry ship. Sometimes a can of 'tactics' was needed to clear our heads.
Anyway - welcome to the cruiser scene - I am sure you'll enjoy it all.
JOHN
Old 25-04-2010, 16:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
G'Day Intrepid,
All sailors are racers - just got to line up two boats and it happens! We too enjoyed many years on the race track - and despite being pretty serious - we never ran a dry ship. Sometimes a can of 'tactics' was needed to clear our heads.
Anyway - welcome to the cruiser scene - I am sure you'll enjoy it all.
JOHN
Thanks John. I read somewhere that sailboat racing began when the second boat was built! And liquid tactics can be helpful in so many of life's circumstances!

Tags
Racer Cruiser