Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2007, 07:14   #1

From Eastern Canada, Beginner with Tons of Questions

Hey Everyone, I am new to sailing, and I am looking for information regarding different types of boats and sailing in general. I have never sailed before but I plan to retire(close to 20 years from now) sailing around the world. I was wondering what type of boat would be needed for that type of travel, such as minimum length, and equipment needed, and even type of boat that would be best, monohull or multihull, brand names, and how old of a boat would you feel comfortable with sailing across the ocean? Should I go new or would a good used be sufficiant. Economical of course, not too extravagant. From my research it seems like the multihull would be the better fit for me but nothin is definate yet. I hear some say that the multihull would not be the best to cross the ocean's in, that is why I need your advise. This is something that will probubly not happen for a little while of course since I have never sailed before. So that brings me to question #2. What can I do to learn? What is a cheaper way to learn the basics of sailing and down the road, what is the best way to become experienced enough to attempt the around the world trip, Courses, experience, etc. Also, when people sail the world, do they usually sail in groups of boats or individually. Finally, what cost are expected in your travels, such as the average fee to stay docked at a marina for a couple days. Fuel costs, Maintenance costs, etc. Also, can you get enough electricity from solar panels and wind turbines to power your boat or do you have to use your generator or engine to get enough power. I know there are alot of questions here but I would appreciate any information you could give me about any of my questions. Thanks a bunch.

Lundy
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 07:28   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Welcome abord Lundy - you've got alot of questions which I won't attempt to answer here however, you will enjoy reading many of the threads in this forum which should provide you with many of the answers you have asked or at least some preliminary knowledge with which you can focus your questions. We are all here to help with your requests.

Regards, Randy
Old 21-02-2007, 15:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Grammar Police....

Could I request that you post queries in point or paragraph form.
I find large blocks of print with multiple ideas or questions confusing.
Maybe I am getting old.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 16:08   #4

Boat: Catalina 27
Unfortunately we are all getting old, but it is better than the alternative
Old 21-02-2007, 16:15   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Lundy. Welcome!
Let me ask the question. You want to buy a boat, you have never sailed, what compels you to get into this.
Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 23:04   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Attempting an Answer....

Hi Lundy,

Welcome. You've opended a can of worms with the questions. I'll give you my responses but one thing that sure, is sailors can be pretty opinionated and you're sure to get others......

You said - Hey Everyone, I am new to sailing, and I am looking for information regarding different types of boats and sailing in general. I have never sailed before but I plan to retire(close to 20 years from now) sailing around the world. I was wondering what type of boat would be needed for that type of travel, such as minimum length, and equipment needed, and even type of boat that would be best, monohull or multihull, brand names, and how old of a boat would you feel comfortable with sailing across the ocean? Should I go new or would a good used be sufficiant. Economical of course, not too extravagant. From my research it seems like the multihull would be the better fit for me but nothin is definate yet. I hear some say that the multihull would not be the best to cross the ocean's in, that is why I need your advise. This is something that will probubly not happen for a little while of course since I have never sailed before. So that brings me to question #2.

----

We prefer monohulls for their motion at sea and lower costs to berth in marinas. Other prefer multihills due to the space made available. Older cats used to be faster than older multihulls - but today a fast cruising mono would pace a modern similar sized cruising cat.

Brand? There are hundereds to choose from - most are fine. If you go multiphull most are relatviely light (to preserve speed) but if you go mono you'll need to decide if its all snug and heavy and slow, or light and fast, or something in the middle. As stated before, each skipper is pretty one eyed about whats best for him / her.

New or secondhand? I'd venture buying secondhand is much better value. Boats like cars, depreciate quicker in the first few years so relative bargains can be found.

----

You said - What can I do to learn? What is a cheaper way to learn the basics of sailing and down the road, what is the best way to become experienced enough to attempt the around the world trip, Courses, experience, etc. Also, when people sail the world, do they usually sail in groups of boats or individually.

----

Study. Read. Use a local library to devour every book you can find on sailing to teach you skills, weather, etc etc. If you find really good books - think about buying them after you've read them to keep for reference.

Get out sailing. Dependent on location find a sailing club and go ask if they have crew spots for someone who's prepared to come along and particiapte each week. A keen crew member with nix experience is better than a superhero who does not turn up on a race day! If you can afford it - find any accredited sailing school and investigate their lesson plans.

Maybe even, when you feel confident enough, buy a small trailerable yacht to call your own - and stumble along as most of us have, learning as you go.

Whilst it may sound risky to sail off into the sunset when inexperienced, lots and lots of people do. Just read some news on the last Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC) and some skipper only started sailing six month prior!!

Best to cruise in company? Maybe. Suits some, and can provide the scene for good parties. But not for everyone.

----

You said - Finally, what cost are expected in your travels, such as the average fee to stay docked at a marina for a couple days. Fuel costs, Maintenance costs, etc. Also, can you get enough electricity from solar panels and wind turbines to power your boat or do you have to use your generator or engine to get enough power. I know there are alot of questions here but I would appreciate any information you could give me about any of my questions. Thanks a bunch.

----

Sorry can't provide US marina pricing but suspect its varied by location. Equally hard to give a rule of thimb om maintainance costs - its going to be more for older vessels than newer. We sail a 46 foot relatively new and I budget for at least $5,000 per year.

And yes - solar panels, wind, waves can make any vessel 100% self sustaining.

Good luck

JOHN

Lundy[/quote]
Old 22-02-2007, 00:22   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Lundy,
Welcome aboard!! You'll find many answers here and since you are new to everything ask as you learn.
Others have suggested nearly everything I could add. Go to a marina and ask around. Go to a sailing club and ask around. Check out lots of books at the library. Two of my favorites are "Start Sailing Right," and "Royce's Sailing Illustrated." Hope you can find them.
I like to hang around Borders and check out all the sailing magazines on a monthly basis.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 02:08   #8

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
2 things -

1 Get on the water.
2 get trained.

There are free or almost free courses. Check out the local marine suppliers. It has been said before, this is a common post - do a search.

Have fun and welcome to the waters.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 02:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons would be one very good place to start your education.

CPS Independent Distance Education - Course Manual Content Descriptions:
Boating and Navigation Course Information

Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons across Canada offer boating classes and seminars in their communities, often at schools, colleges, or yacht club facilities. For information and prices about courses provided in the classroom please contact your local Squadron.
ATLANTIC DISTRICT - Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons:
Canadian Power & Sail Squadrons - Atlantic Squadrons

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 06:26   #10

Boat: Catalina 27
I agree with the others. There is no substitute for sailing experience.

We started with a beat up daysailor. Not only did we learn how to sail, we learned about fiberglass repair, rope-work, sailmaking, trailer repair and a few other things.

More importantly we had a blast. Then one day my wife said, "we should get a bigger boat." And I knew I was a lucky man...

Tags
Canada

« HI all | Hello »