Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2009, 18:15   #1

Fresh Fish!

Yeah, I'm a newbie here. I hate being the new guy!

Anyway, I'm 24 years old, male, single, (wink wink...). Hmph! I dropped out of high school, joined the United States Army at 17, went to South Korea and Iraq, got out of the Army at 21, and have basically been bumming around the country ever since, acting not entirely unlike a chicken with its head cut off. I'm an anarchist and an atheist, and I enjoy living a simple life without baggage and excess material belongings. In my spare time I enjoy reading, surfing, snowboarding, rockclimbing, and other outdoorsy stuff. I've traveled a bit but I plan on seeing the world via sailboat once I learn how to sail and obtain a boat of my own. I currently do whatever odd jobs I can find for the purpose of paying bills, and am now planning a move from my current residence, (Las Vegas), to Southern California, for the purpose of getting a higher paying job, (LAPD), to save up for a boat, and being near the ocean to learn to sail and eventually purchase my home and means of transportation, (aka a sailboat). After that's done I'll travel the world and make my living writing novels, or at least that's the plan! Anyway, that's me and mine. Glad to be here in the forum!
end3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 20:01   #2

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
An anarchist/law enforcement officer! isn't that an oxymoron?
Good luck at it and your boating aims anyway.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 20:13   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome aboard! We can use a few chaos characters.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 20:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
An anarchist/law enforcement officer! isn't that an oxymoron?
Good luck at it and your boating aims anyway.
Steve
I suppose it's a wee bit ironic, eh? I just hope in the interview they don't ask me WHY I want to be a law enforcement officer! Just kidding. My anarchic philosophies don't extend to other people. I'm more of a personal anarchist, and think it's just fine if other people are controlled by governments or whatever, (i.e. anyone not smart enough to be an anarchist themselves "deserve" to be under some type of organized control.) I'm not the kind of anarchist who thinks the government should be brought down or anything like that, just kept in line. Wow, I'm digging myself a hole here and everyone's going to think I'm some kind of sociopath or something...
end3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 16:27   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha End3r,
Welcome aboard! Good to have young folks interested in becoming sailors. LAPD will give you a battery of tests and some will be psychological. It would be good to have some pat answers saved up for them. Try to be normal.
Once you get to LA find someone with a boat and go for a couple of sails. You'll get a good introduction and see if you really want to do the round the world thing.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 18:21   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Go for it

At 19, I dropped out of college and hopped on sailboats. It was the smartest thing I've ever done. Frankly, it felt a bit like running away to join the circus

When I read your first thread, I thought--this kids gonna spice things up!
Welcome, Godspeed on your adventure! (sorry, the christian girl in me couldn't help herself)
Erika

PS
since you don't seem to have any strong ties, think about hopping on a cruising sailboat. I hitch hiked and crewed on sailboats all through my twenties (20,000 miles). All I had was a small bag and a hammock. It's pretty cool to get paid to sail.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote