Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38   #16

Boat: private yacht always moving
here you go

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=75995&url=

reviews
My Product Gallery - Mistress 39 - Powered by ReviewPost

myperfectcruisingboat - rleewinters

4 1/2 foot draft,,,, perfect for the bahamas

get a survey,,, buy it,,, go sailing in 1 month

buy me a beer when you see me

get going now

not affiliated with above boat

thats how easy it is,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:33   #17

Boat: Horizon 39
Thumbs up

Sooo my wife and I are putting the house up for sale, (Vancouver BC where they do sell fast). We are planning to use part of the money to buy a house near Phoenix Arizona as an investment with rentors/property management.

My 2 bits worth.
I have lived in Canada for years and know Vancouver well.
With plans like yours ( I have the same), I would not sell in Van and buy in Phoenix unless i was intending to retire there. Who wants to live in the middle of a bloody desert anyway?

I don't know your financial situation but kick this around along the lines of "better the devil you know" etc. Rent your home out in Van, take an equity line, not a loan, you don't have to use the money. It's for emergency's.

Bear in mind that renters don't treat your house like you do so suck it up and expect that any expenses as the cost of doing business.

Get a good agent. You live there right? I have 2 rentals in Oz and one in US. Expect your expenses to be 40%. Agents fees, repairs, loss of rental income etc.etc. I'm not pessimistic, Just don't like bad news to spoil my fun.

Next.
If you haven't sailed, there were a few good sailing and charter clubs around Van. I used to use them.
The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence but why trample your own to get to it.

Stick with a monohull until you get your feet wet. Remember, there is a lot of inexpensive boats out there. They are also all over the country and the purchase price is only your first dip into your pocket.

Gawd that made me thirsty.

Good luck
Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50   #18

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike43 View Post

Get a good agent. You live there right? I have 2 rentals in Oz and one in US. Expect your expenses to be 40%. Agents fees, repairs, loss of rental income etc.etc. I'm not pessimistic, Just don't like bad news to spoil my fun.

Good luck
Mike

Mike--

I am not being pessimistic in my earlier renting advice. I have owned almost 10 times the number you own (19 units) for the last 15 years. I can attest that there is always someone who will escape scrutiny. You are a landlord, you have or at least know the risks. So many people think they can just hire an agent, collect money, and be risk free. Not always so.

My experience gives me proof that not everyone is cut out to be a landlord after they earn hard experience the hard way. Just my thoughts---

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 13:09   #19

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold
What a plan. I'm with you. I live up the end of Howe Sound and am sick of winter as well. You do have an entire world of sailing up here though and instruction at your finger tips and many marinas to wander to get an idea of the kinds of boats you may end up with and of course by now you realize that a boat no matter what age is a hole in the water you through money into. I know a fella that used to sail all of his winters in the Caribbean and operated his business over satellite phone. I'm sure you could write this off. I kind of agree that the less you have on land to worry about the more fun you will have out there. I wish you success and maybe in a few years we will see you out there as well.
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51   #20

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
Greg,
28 feet for a cat means you may not be put on the T at the marina but there are too many factors to write here that need more consideration.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
just for safety and security you can file a float plan with the USCG ...
Float plans save lives. Now world’s most effective float plan offers unprecedented flexibility, and ease of use.
Gone are the days of having to prepare a float plan from scratch each and every time you go boating. Now, you can do it all electronically, using Adobe Reader version 8 or later. You can set up a basic plan ahead of time and save it. Update it when you decide where you’re going to go. Then e-mail the completed plan to whoever you choose to follow up should you not return or check-in as planned.
Get The New 2010 Float Plan
http://www.floatplancentral.org/

Float Plan Supplementals
http://www.floatplancentral.org/supplimentals.htm

USCGFloatPlan - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uscgfloatplan-med_original.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	22534  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:48   #22
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Welcome Aboard. I have the same plan you are just a few years ahead of me.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24   #23
cruiser

i think it would be damn near impossible to make 'plans' that include income and things like that for a person who has never owned and lived onboard.... I am planning and nearing conmpletion of buying my first boat, and it is across the country for me...i know nothing about sailing, and plan on spending as much time as it takes to learn and get certified andfigure out how to flush a toilet.....

I would hate to try to figure out internet connectivty issues and make sure my income was protected and flourishng at the same time....

I will want to be completely capable of fixing and repairing and making sure i am not giong to die first and foremost, and not worry about the other financial issues you mentioned at that time...

I would suggest making sure your financial eggs are safe and secure and your income is guranteed.. then set it aside, dont think about it, and just spend as much time as it needs to learn your new boat/home.

one of the quotes i read on this forum is something like ....

sailing and schedules dont mix... you will never know exactly when you will be somewhere... well at least for us newbies... putting the pressure of schedule and plans into the mix will just make things more hectic...

anyways, I will also close with this... dont let folks or forums deter you from your plans... if you want to liveaboard, then do your best homework, ask as much as you can, and make your best choice for you....

good luck and see you in the florida waters soon.

bill
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:17   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
You'll notice that this is a forum of many opinions and some real jewels of advice. You're getting your share.
Keep the cruising dream alive.
kind regards,
Old 11-01-2011, 11:26   #25

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28
At this point my wife has all but insisted we go the Catamaran route because of the cruising comfort and ability to run right up onto beaches.

In our $50,000 price range we are seeing 28 foot Gemini boats that are 15 plus years old.

I am willing to add my Dodge Viper to the purchase price which takes us to the $100,000 range (stretching). So if anyone wants to take a trade like this ...

I bought the Viper in California one and a half years ago and it is a beauty. You can get the details at these links.

eliems is offline   Reply With Quote