Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 11:29   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 45'6" WorldsAway
Flying to Nassau

Good day folks..
I am a Canadian flying to Nassau Bahamas via Buffalo..second week of February.
My trip includes looking for possible docking for my sailboat.
I have a one way ticket to Nassau. In the perfect world I would like to sail back to the US with someone so that I can feel confident in taking my own sailboat from Sarasota to the Bahamas.
Otherwise, I will book a flight back to the USA.
Worlds_/)way
Worldsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 13:00   #2

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
Is your boat in the Bahamas now?Your question is a bit confusing.What kind of boat is it ,how big,and in what condition?How much sailing experance do you have?
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 13:19   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 45'6" WorldsAway
Flight to Bahamas

I am heading to Nassau to try to find dockage for my Irwin 41 presently in Florida.
Worldsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 14:16   #4

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
You should consult the classifieds in the Tribune ads in Nasau. Failing that contact a realtor and try to get a dock behind a private home for the best deals. Otherwise you end up at Hurricane Hole or any of the numerous marinas along either side of the bridge. The objection there is the traffic and questionable security. Gated communities like on Lyford should be available.
All the best,
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 15:13   #5

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
Keep me informed on the status of your plans. I'm a licenced captain and sailing instructor in s.w.Florida. I've made the trip to Nassau on numerable occasions and may be available to help if and when the time comes. Bob 239-482-5878
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 15:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Worldsaway.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:52   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
It's good to have you here on the forum. Good luck in your quest for a slip.
kind regards,
Old 26-01-2011, 06:42   #8

how long do you need dockage? we have 100' of excellent, secure dockage for less than half of what you pay in the harbour.
Roc Chambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:59   #9

Boat: Chartercats, Prowlercub, 42'
Flying to Nassau

Greetings Worldsaway;

Just a note of caution: before you leave Buffalo, make sure you have a way home already arranged. The Bahamas will not admit a foreign citizen without round trip plans for their return..You don't want to buy a last minute fare at the airport...mucho dinero. Once you have a boat here in the Bahamas with a current cruising permit you can then use the permit to allow one way tickets, since you'll have a way home. Consider also looking at Grand Bahama(Freeport) for dockage. Much less congested, certainly safer, probably cheaper, and very easy to fly in from Upstate NY. Good Luck. Capt. T. Hanna MV. InnerDog in GB
Thanna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:19   #10

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Just a few quick tips: I kept my Irwin 43' and my Kanter 52' in Nassau as a base to visit Exumas over a period of 4 years.
Excellent marina: Nassau Harbor Club- dockmaster Peter- very secure and can leave boat and it will be taken well care of. Never had a problem, not the cheapest but very close to cheap provisioning and restaurants.
Travel: Try Yellow Air Taxi out of Ft Lauderdale- very reasonable flights to Nassau- often cheaper to fly to lauderdale and take them than take large commercial flight to Nassau. Small planes, as long as you are OK with that.
Supplies: THERE ARE NO RIGGERS IN NASSAU. There are numerous mechanical suppliers for every type of engine/generator/plumbing/electrical part, but you cannot find a turnbuckle or end fitting to save your life. An elderly couple lost their mast and was berthed next to us- we used almost all our spares to get them back together and brought parts from the US. Take all the rigging spares you may need....
Charts: Get Explorer Chartbooks- excellent and accurate. We do like Pavlidis guides to the Exumas for their interesting natural detail, but out of date as to services.
Provision thoughtfully: Beverages (sodas and beer) are outrageous- $46 US for a case of beer. We don't drink beer and we use a carbonator on our boat, so it did not affect us, but surely affected the cruising budgets of those around us
Hope these experiences are helpful!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 08:50   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
When you get to Nassau visit the BASRA office on East Bay Street. They may be able to help you with finding a dock. As for getting a ride back from Nassau, I doubt that many are coming home in February and many of those that are coming home do not stop in Nassau on the way back. Make sure you have a return ticket.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:16   #12
cruiser

fly in walk out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanna5 View Post
Greetings Worldsaway;

Just a note of caution: before you leave Buffalo, make sure you have a way home already arranged. The Bahamas will not admit a foreign citizen without round trip plans for their return..You don't want to buy a last minute fare at the airport...mucho dinero. Once you have a boat here in the Bahamas with a current cruising permit you can then use the permit to allow one way tickets, since you'll have a way home. Consider also looking at Grand Bahama(Freeport) for dockage. Much less congested, certainly safer, probably cheaper, and very easy to fly in from Upstate NY. Good Luck. Capt. T. Hanna MV. InnerDog in GB
----i fly there often one way with no hasskle but have had cayman is, ask questions,,often get last minute charter ticket for 99 some for 49 return but dont buse return,,last ticket i got from rep she put $ in purse and doubt i was on manifest if plane crashed,,judst a thought if your looking for cheap airfare as i allways do,,buy last minute retiurn charter ticketsd and dont buse return portion,,bahamas no hassle ,,bermuda big hassles,,cheereo
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 08:07   #13

Boat: 50' sloop
Another option -

Good morning Worldsaway -

Orlando and Jet Blue might be an option for routing in/out Bahamas. .

RE: Grand Bahama Island - we liked it as a place to station our boat for a brief time. The people were friendly and welcoming. The jitney buses run regularly from Port Lucaya - giving access to the main grocery and drops/pk-up "in the parking lot" where also, is a cab stand. The jitney cost $1.50 pp/ea way. One can either be "in the small village" with a bit of festive chaotic fun or opt for quiet secure marina a short ferry ride away.

Best wishes ...

Sailing Mermaid

PS: GBYC - approaching from inlet to fuel dock.
Sailing Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nassau