Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 05:23   #1

Boat: 1981 Flying Dutchman FD-12
flying dutchman fd-12

Hello,
I just joined the forum and recently purchased a flying dutchman fd-12. Looking for anyone who also owns an FD and knows how you can tell what what number boat it is in the production order?

Still working on getting everything working, hope to sail the boat this spring.
Thx
Doug:
Flyingfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: flying dutchman fd-12

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Doug.
Review ➥ https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...12-1176-1.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:09   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The FD 12 was built by Tayana. Contact Wilson Chang at Ta-Yang Shipyard.
tayangco@ms15.hinet.net
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 16:33   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have a soft spot for these boats (except for their rear end). There are at least 4 FD12 owners active on the forum. Here are some links to threads. You could contact owners by clicking on their name and then sending a PM (private message)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-139236.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-209622.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...12-206545.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ft-200865.html
Old 19-03-2019, 22:38   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard, Doug!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 10:12   #6

Boat: FD12 50'

Hi Doug,

A belated welcome to the world of FD-12’s. We are hull #6, SV Noah, manufactured in 1979 and loved by us since 1985. It appears that your question was never answered in the forum. If you are still wondering take a look at the cap rail on your beautiful stern. It should have a hull ID burned into the wood. It starts TYA then tells you year constructed and the final number is a two digit hull number. For instance ours is 06.

We look forward to future contact,

SV Noah
Kellie & Terry
Pt Roberts, WA
SVNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 10:38   #7

Hello! Good to hear from a fellow FD-12. You helped us figure it out. We are hull#20, built in 1981. We go the boat 2 years ago. Have been fixing it up. Only go it out once for diesel. This summer we plan on a lot of sailing. We may have questions to ask since we have not sailed it.

S/V Daydreamer
Doug & Kathleen
Jersey City, NJ
Old 14-02-2021, 10:51   #8

Wow, Years ago I used to drool over the FD12 when I first got into sailing!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 12:58   #9

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I went through a lot on mine since 2016. Mainly rotten bulkheads, rusty chainplates and leaky fuel tanks. Ford Lehman install was a sh*tshow. But I'm very happy now. She is in Beaufort for the winter. I'm in RI in the summer. I've been doing up and down the eastern coast the past two seasons. These boats a solid, especially in heavy weather. Im still breaking her in after a refit, and finding out what she can really do.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 13:25   #10

Boat: FD12 50'

It is a small FD world! We last saw DayDreamer in San Carlos, Mexico in 2012. John and Diane had her for sale then, but I think there must have been an owner in between them and you. At that time she was extremely well fitted out from all of their extensive blue water cruising.

Feel free to reach out. Over the years we have repaired / replaced / upgraded nearly everything on Noah. Lol, we keep saying that, but there is always something else. After 40+ years we are trying to decide if we are going to replace the new decks with teak or simply fiberglass.

@phorvati - wow, you have had a project! We’ve heard of others that were over stressed and bulk heads pulled loose then settled back in. Rot could certainly set in if not attended to. Glad you restored her.

Fair winds everyone, feel free to reach out,

SV Noah
Kellie & Terry
(You can reach us directly at our boat name (with sv and no spaces) @hotmail)
SVNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I went through a lot on mine since 2016. Mainly rotten bulkheads, rusty chainplates and leaky fuel tanks. Ford Lehman install was a sh*tshow. But I'm very happy now. She is in Beaufort for the winter. I'm in RI in the summer. I've been doing up and down the eastern coast the past two seasons. These boats a solid, especially in heavy weather. Im still breaking her in after a refit, and finding out what she can really do.
Hi Kellie and Terry,
Did you replace the mast tangs?
I am looking to have the standing rigging redone and not sure where to get parts for the tangs.
Doug
Old 05-04-2021, 04:25   #12

Quote:
Hello,
Doug and Kathy here.
I thinking about having the standing rigging replaced and wanted to know if you did the same and did you have to replace any of the mast tangs?
I am not sure what mast i have and where I would get parts.
Also, we have the ford lehman 61hp - so far so good I am going to do an oil analysis this week. The motor was rebuilt in 2005 so who knows. At 3500 rpm the temp is at 195 Fahrenheit, if i go a little higher in rpm the temp increases. I have seen on the web other people having the same issue. Did you replace your motor?
Take care,
Doug
doug.kovalsky@gmail.com
917-299-2257
Old 05-04-2021, 04:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfd View Post
Hi Kellie and Terry,
Did you replace the mast tangs?
I am looking to have the standing rigging redone and not sure where to get parts for the tangs.
Doug
Hello,
Doug and Kathy here.
I thinking about having the standing rigging replaced and wanted to know if you did the same and did you have to replace any of the mast tangs?
Also, we have the ford lehman 61hp - so far so good I am going to do an oil analysis this week. The motor was rebuilt in 2005 so who knows. At 3500 rpm the temp is at 195 Fahrenheit, if i go a little higher in rpm the temp increases. I have seen on the web other people having the same issue. Did you replace your motor?
Take care,
Doug
doug.kovalsky@gmail.com
917-299-2257
Old 10-04-2021, 11:07   #14

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfd View Post
Hello,
Doug and Kathy here.
Take care,
Doug
doug.kovalsky@gmail.com
917-299-2257
I replaced everything. Tangs are generally not an issue. They are high, away from salt spray, and drain downward so no water accumulation. I would try to take them apart and hopefully you have more luck than me (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-201200.html). Then buff them on scotchbright wheel, then polish to expose cracks and magnalfux to verify. If you have cracks then you need a rigger to make them. Any rigging shop will do but they will be custom.

Your bigger issues might be...
1. check stay chainplates (they are on a such an acute angle that they pull on the bulkhead a lot. Runners would be better suited as they would have a better angle). My port checkstay bulkhead was rotted out(see mixture of pics). I had to re-glass full 1" worth of that bulkhead and taper it into healthy sections of the bulkhead down lower to the hull. I had to dismantle the navstation for that.

2. main shroud chainplates either did not terminate by glassing into the hull (early models), or that termination was half-assed and the beautiful teak carpentry built over that so that you could never go in and inspect and service the attachment. as a result of how that was built, it all rotted out. That was a lot of work to do properly. I attached few photos.

3. That bow "concoction". That shovel piece and the welded bow roller along with the triangle plate where head stay terminates. I had to replace and re-fabricate all that new. It was a lot of work. Think about it, 30-40 years worth of waves washing over that crappy chinese stainless.

For me it took close to 18 months worth of fabricating then polishing from raw metal to mirror finish. All my new stuff I got at mcmaster with certificate.

Now I keep en eye on all those. Some leaks are still there, although less, and I go and clean off the salt and inspect all my chaniplates after every offshore trip.

btw, i just got back from NC home to RI (yesterday). Took us 4 days. I am still a bit oozy, skinny, hungry, and tired. It was a rough and cold trip.

I'll gladly share my other issues I ran into like the engine, electronics, windlass, waterlogged hull, etc. This boat was hit by lightning twice and most of the stuff was fried. (accept for Marine Air AC and northern lights generator)

Petar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161030_125026.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	236257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161029_105823.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	236258  

Name:	20161112_141808.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	236259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161023_160204.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	236260  

Name:	20170208_123459.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	236261   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_213534.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	236263  

Name:	20171015_100557.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	236264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170813_152452.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	236265  

Name:	20171029_235945.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	236266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_143524.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	236267  

phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:10   #15

Quote:
I replaced everything. Tangs are generally not an issue. They are high, away from salt spray, and drain downward so no water accumulation. I would try to take them apart and hopefully you have more luck than me (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-201200.html). Then buff them on scotchbright wheel, then polish to expose cracks and magnalfux to verify. If you have cracks then you need a rigger to make them. Any rigging shop will do but they will be custom.

Your bigger issues might be...
1. check stay chainplates (they are on a such an acute angle that they pull on the bulkhead a lot. Runners would be better suited as they would have a better angle). My port checkstay bulkhead was rotted out(see mixture of pics). I had to re-glass full 1" worth of that bulkhead and taper it into healthy sections of the bulkhead down lower to the hull. I had to dismantle the navstation for that.

2. main shroud chainplates either did not terminate by glassing into the hull (early models), or that termination was half-assed and the beautiful teak carpentry built over that so that you could never go in and inspect and service the attachment. as a result of how that was built, it all rotted out. That was a lot of work to do properly. I attached few photos.

3. That bow "concoction". That shovel piece and the welded bow roller along with the triangle plate where head stay terminates. I had to replace and re-fabricate all that new. It was a lot of work. Think about it, 30-40 years worth of waves washing over that crappy chinese stainless.

For me it took close to 18 months worth of fabricating then polishing from raw metal to mirror finish. All my new stuff I got at mcmaster with certificate.

Now I keep en eye on all those. Some leaks are still there, although less, and I go and clean off the salt and inspect all my chaniplates after every offshore trip.

btw, i just got back from NC home to RI (yesterday). Took us 4 days. I am still a bit oozy, skinny, hungry, and tired. It was a rough and cold trip.

I'll gladly share my other issues I ran into like the engine, electronics, windlass, waterlogged hull, etc. This boat was hit by lightning twice and most of the stuff was fried. (accept for Marine Air AC and northern lights generator)

Petar
Hi Petar,
The work you did is amazing. Hopefully i don't have to go that far yet. I sealed all of the deck joints and everything looks good. I attached a picture of my tang which is different than your setup. Who would you recommend for the stainless fabrication? Also, did you repower your motor, if so what did you end up with? Its a great boat we just motor sailed her for the first time and it was awesome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Douglas Kovalsky - cleaned up lower tang 1.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	236317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Douglas Kovalsky - cleaned up lower tang 2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	236318