Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2008, 21:45   #1

first time here & PNW Trip

Hello all-
I've just sold an '86 30' Tollycraft and will be taking possession of a '91 32' Nordic Tug in 4 days. We'll be picking her up in Hood Canal Wash and taking 3 days / 2 nights to slowly meander through the US Gulf Islands and back to home port in Victoria BC. Wish us a safe trip with no mechanical difficulties. I'll post again when we get home.

ps- we're thinking of going from Polsbo to Oak Harbor, then to LaConner and on to Anacortes. Next leg to Friday Harbor then home with a good haul of american beer. Any comments on what to see and do on this trip. I hear Langley is a neat stop.
Nordic32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 21:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard Nordic and congratulatoins on you new purchase.

Lot's of PNW sailors on the board.

PS - I moved your post to its own thread to get better visibility.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 07:07   #3

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
If you're picking up in Hood Canal Poulsbo is fairly far south to come to turnaround and go north but Poulsbo is great (Port Ludlow is nice and so is Kingston if you don't want to go so far south). In Poulsbo try "Thats a some Italian" resturant right accross the parking lot from the marina. Good food and reasonably priced wine (just a satisfied customer). For Breakfast most hit the bakery accorss the main street and half a block north of thats a some. If you have reciprical from a yacht club the Poulsbo Yacht club is very nice although it is about a five minute walk from downtown. Love oak harbor but if you like small and funky try Langley a shorter first day from Poulsbo and still an easy trip the rest of the way north. You're plan hits most of the "big" marina cities in the area but there is so much to see and you have so little time allocated for the trip . Have fun
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 07:26   #4

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. On looking the the chart again as to where this new boat is presently moored, it's straight east of Port Ludlow. due east of Hainsville at the north east end of the Hood Canal. We will be cruising at 7-8 knts. in a maiden voyage of our new vessel and have from Sun. noon till Tues. 4pm 'ish to get to Victoria and hope to go through as much of the American Gulf Is. as possible. Would you guys that know the area go under the bridge at Deception Pass or take the canal through to LaConner and up to Anacortes then west to Friday Harbor? We've been to Anacortes from Victoria a few times, just haven't been south of there. Any input will be much appreciated, and thanks.

ps- the weather forecast is calling for sun
Nordic32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 08:54   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you want to be in an area with bars or nature. I would tend to head striaght for cattle pass and then decide between Orcas, San Juan, or Lopez Island. Each has its own charm. If the weather is nasty then cut behind Whidbey but summer conditons aren't usually too bad. on San Juan Island Friday Harbor is great though probably pretty crowded on Labor Day Weekend. Roche Harbor is very nice and Garrison Bay around the corner from Roche Harbor is a nice jump off point for Victoria. We were at Garrison Bay on July 4th and it wasn't too crowded. It took us about 6 hours to get from Garrison Bay to Victoria Motoring in the morning until the breeze picked up.

The family loved Sucia Island (Friday Harbor as well) there is somethign magical about the place for hiking and paddling and enjoying a drink.

The reason I suggest going striaght for Cattle Pass is b/c if you go around Whidbey you will add alot of extra miles and not get to spend as much time at anchor.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 09:52   #6

Boat: Irwin sloop
Hi Nordic Congratulations on your new boat. You've chosen a pleasant route. Poulsbo is within four hours of your starting point using the Agate Pass route, and it's a fun port if you remember not to stray N.E. of the marina into very shallow water. Deception Pass is beautiful and a fun experience "think Dodd Narrows, it's a close comparison with a bridge overhead" and Laconner is lots of fun, but remember to approach docks there with your bow pointed upstream and the current is tide related. It sounds complicated but once you see it it becomes obvious.The only possible fly in the ointment is that Sunday is the middle of the Labor Day weekend which is the most crowded three days on the water in Puget Sound. The marinas will be filled to bursting and the anchorages too. You might have a much better time if you can postpone it till after Tuesday and have the whole place to yourself. Either way you choose I hope you enjoy your trip. please let us know about it. Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 11:56   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Congratulations on your new boat.
I really liked that area for cruising. Poulsbo is one of neatest little communities around.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 17:23   #8

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
If crossing the straits doesn't bother you I'd vote for the due strait route also. Port townsend is a nice stop if you get out too late to make it across on the first day and from there anywhere in the San Juans is trawler speed away on the second.
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2008, 20:30   #9

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
If the wind is predicted to blow out of the west in Juan de Fuca at more than 10-15, go the inside route and stop at Langley. If you can go across the strait then head for Cattle P. and either go to the big city (Friday H), or Fishermans Bay on Lopez and drop the hook. Great restaurant down the road to the south of the marina about a half mile. Sucia Is. is great, so's Patos. Jones Is is neat but very crowded at times. Roche is great but probably a zoo this weekend. Try Stewart Is (North or South ), good place to spend the day on the hook. Congrats on the new boat, have a good shakedown cruise.

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello | ahoy »