Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 09:22   #1

First Steps?

Hello everyone! I am a young aspiring sailor who has a dream of living aboard. I do not know about many different kinds of boats and I've only been to the docks once or twice. My dream is traveling, so I'd need a boat that can travel long distances. I do not have many assets to part with, so space is no matter to me. I am looking for some advice on how I should begin to persue this dream. Any important information you have will do wonders for me! Or just tips or even just a general direction. Thank you all so much and I look forward to any words you have for me!
Rainbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:02   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: First Steps?

Welcome to the forum. Every adventure starts with a dream. Just keep doing the next right thing until your dream is realized.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:26   #3

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
First Steps?

If one wants to make something happen, they can make it so. Crew often and bring the -------- ( you fill in the blank). Ask to, or pay to sleep aboard while at anchor. A lot less expensive than the hit you would take, trying to Sale a boat that someone else should be Sailing, or turning into an artificial reef.
Go for it. The human body can adjust to a lot. It's the, "managing to pay the bills part," that stumps most dreamers.
Then there is that, "other half," that will come along. They can't say, "I didn't know you had this sailing sickness.!" If you are living on a boat when they meet you, you can return the, "This person is a nut.!" look.
Then there are paid positions on other people's boats.
Of course the ultimate would be being the Captain of your own vessel and having an understanding Admiral.

You could do a Coast Guard hitch. Call it a taste, without all the, "Luxuries," of the Navy.! 😂😂😂

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote