Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07   #1

First Post

Hello Everyone,

I've been stealing great information off of this site for almost a year now and have finally taken the plunge and decided to write. I spent almost 10 years in the US Navy riding submarines and living in the Pacific. I've always loved being near the water, but never considered sailing. I started reading and learning about the cruising lifestyle last year and it attracted me immediately. So, this spring the wife and I have signed up for the 10 day liveaboard ASA101/102/103 class in the BVIs. We also live within a 30 minute drive of Lake Michigan so I am hoping to join the local sailing association and get on the Lake this Summer.
I'm very greatful for all of the stories, tips, and insights everyone here offers up everyday. It's helped to keep the dream alive even during the cold midwest winter.
Hope to see you on the water someday soon.

-Steve
JibberJabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
When I was in the Navy in Puerto Rico, we had hurricane David pass south of us. It was the largest hurricane I had ever seen while stationed at Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. The edges of the hurricane extended from Puerto Rico to Venezuela.

During the passage of this hurricane, there was a nuclear powered submarine beneath the crashing waves and howling winds. Unfortunately, the submarine had lost its airconditioning systems - the primary system and the back up system, and for several days the temperature on the sub was around 110-120 degrees where the crew was working. The sub could not surface to cool off during the hurricane, and by the time they came to the surface at Roosy Roads, everyone was totally dehydrated. I was a physician at the Naval Hospital, and I was told that rehydrating all the sailors exhausted the supply of IV fluids at the VA Hospital in San Juan.

I didn't talk to any of the sailors personally, but I suspect that the story was true. Without any airconditioning, it could probably get pretty hot on a nuclear powered sub.

Welcome to the forum where we try to keep our boats on top of the water rather than under the water.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome to the forum JibberJabber...There is a wealth of knowledge here....Hey maxingout...why didn't the guys in the sub just open the screen doors for ventilation???...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the forum JibberJabber...There is a wealth of knowledge here....Hey maxingout...why didn't the guys in the sub just open the screen doors for ventilation???...
Puerto Rico is pretty hot man. That would've not worked!
Old 03-04-2009, 14:09   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
JibberJabber

Welcome aboard!

Gee, with all us ole Navy guys we should start a navy thread with our sea stories.

I went thru a couple typhoons down in the S. Pac myself back in the early 70's.
Old 03-04-2009, 14:13   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibberJabber View Post
...So, this spring the wife and I have signed up for the 10 day liveaboard ASA101/102/103 class in the BVIs...
Good move! You're going to have a blast with that!
Old 03-04-2009, 15:10   #7

Delmarrey

If we start a navy sea story thread, will I have to take a lie detector test before submitting the post?
Old 03-04-2009, 16:45   #8

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Good move! You're going to have a blast with that!

Totally agree!!! you probably can't find a better place to do it. I know several such training operations in both USVI and BVI and get great reports from all of them. Which are you using? When ya coming down? I'll be returning to the area in 12 wake ups!... and will be down until mid June.

Any idea what boat you will be on? I'll keep an eye out for you.

You will both have a great time but do be aware the area is habit forming. I just can't stay away for long, but keep my boat on hard during hurricane season for now.
Old 03-04-2009, 18:13   #9

Boat: Young Sun 35' golightly
Welcome aboard JibberJabber, I live 10 minutes from Lake Michigan. Wasn't in the Navy but was stationed on a naval base, does that count?. If your are ever in Muskegon stop by Great Lakes Marina, E-11 and say Hi.
aeg193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 20:15   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Delmarrey

If we start a navy sea story thread, will I have to take a lie detector test before submitting the post?
Yeah! That could be a problem. Sea stories are a lot like fish stories.

How bout we use documented proof?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	typhoon.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	7675   Click image for larger version

Name:	uboat.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	7676  

Old 03-04-2009, 20:29   #11

Unless you are an expert in Photoshop, it looks like the real deal to me.

The ship on the right looks very rusty. Must have been at sea a long time.
Old 04-04-2009, 19:26   #12

"Welcome to the forum JibberJabber...There is a wealth of knowledge here....Hey maxingout...why didn't the guys in the sub just open the screen doors for ventilation???"

You'd be amazed how many new guys fall for the ole - wash the windows trick on a submarine. I used to love new guys..the fun never ended.

In regards to the BVIs, I'll be down there at the end of June. I know, not the best time of the year, but my wife's a teacher and it was the only time we could go for that amount of time. After much reading and consternation, we went with Sailtime for the school. We had contemplated several different schools, but ultimately I read a post that just said to pick a school and sign up. In addition, the price was great and they really seemed to have a good program.
For anyone that's interested or even contemplating going on a liveaboard cruise / training, the prices seem really good. We got a really nice discount and almost every other school we talked to offered great deals.

For the boat, it looks like a Sun Odyssey 42.2 (anyone know what the ".2" is? Don't know much about the boat, but I've been reading everything I can get my grubby hands on. It's like a disease at this point.

I am also really looking to getting on the lake this summer. It's amazing how much of my life I've lived so close to it and never got really got out on it.

Thanks again for the encouragement. If anyone happens to be sailing out of Milwaukee or Racine this summer and wants some company or free help, I would be happy to assist. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and can cook up a storm. Obviously, from my years in the Navy I can clean as well.

Steve A.
Old 04-04-2009, 19:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Delmarrey

If we do start a forum, we don't need the lie detector, but something tells me you would have to wear boots to enter, because "it" is likely to get deep in there.

Steve
Old 04-04-2009, 20:04   #14

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Crew always wanting in the lower Chesapeake bay...come on down..
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32   #15

Boat: Riviera 35
Nah that's not a Benny, looks more like a Charles F. Adams class to me.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote