Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2013, 08:07   #1

First Message

Hi my name is Jane and I'm engaged to a wonderful man Hamish.Our story is a little different, unlike 99.9% of everyone else on here we don't yet have a boat...ok I will explain

2 1/2 years ago I was told I had Parkinson's!! It was a huge low in my life, and then got worse. My husband at the time couldn't handle me being very sick and left me and my three kids with very little money and no where to live ( as he got the huge four bedroom house with in ground pool ). So there I was sick, alone and trying to care for three kids. Until my knight in shining armour came into my life. Within four months we were engaged! All we have done though since we have been together is move closer to hospitals and go to appointment. I'm due soon to have major brain surgery it's called DBS ( deep brain stimulation ) it's a nine hour surgery, and I'll be out of action for about six month.

Even though the operation will help me a great deal, I have been advised to live the rest of my life to the fullest, while I can. We both have the same dream....to purchase a boat and travel around Australia by water. We have one small problem MONEY, we are going to take a huge risk and sell everything we own and get our dream boat. We are going to have to do a few things different to what we had hoped though, work along the way being the main one.

The main reason I have joined this forum, is to get as much information on boating as possible. For example where we can Moore for free, stop to get food etc, and anything else I haven't yet thought of. Our main concern are the children, I had to pass over full time care of them to my ex, until I had operation. Then once I was well enough I would get them back, but about a week ago I got the worst news any mum could get, my ex told me I wasn't getting my kids back, as I was an unfit mum!! Other than going to court to fight for them, which you have to understand is extremely hard for me, I would properly end up in hospital, because of nerves, and he knows that. So we are going to try and have them every school holidays on the boat. When we tell them this I think it will be a bitter sweet moment, they will be extremely upset that mum and Hamish can't have them back, but on the other hand their going to be on a boat every school holidays. My eldest is a very keen fisherman, and would fish in a puddle, so imagine how he will react!!

So if anyone has any advice for us, please feel free to let me know. I told you it was a bit of a different story, and VERY long winded....thanks for reading about my crappy life ( until I met Hamish ) LOL. We are hoping we are making the right decision, and our life will be full of wonderful boating memories. Xx
Borris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:35   #2

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24
Re: First message

Welcome Jane and Hamish! I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming adventure. I think you will find that quite a few people on Cruisers Forum don't have a boat yet but are researching boats and the cruising lifestyle.
In my case I have a boat but I haven't seen it yet I will be seeing it in May for the first time. In 2006, my wife was diagnosed with multiple brain tumors and had an 11 hour brain surgery to remove them. The surgery was successful though she lost a lot of her vision during the surgery. She will be living aboard with me next year starting in Florida and then wherever the wind blows us...
I am sorry that you are having such family difficulties but I am happy for you that you have found a good man and a dream to follow!
-Kevin
Old 27-03-2013, 08:47   #3

Hi Kevin,

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife, but it sounds like she is a real fighter. I think we are going to enjoy this site, and will be glued to to for a while trying to learn as much as we can...lol. Must be hard knowing you have a boat sitting there but not being able to get in it and sale away...hope we can chat some more, and I also wish you and your amazing wife the best of luck in the future xx
Borris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 10:06   #4

Trust me, you are WAAAAY over-estimating the percentage of the participants here who have boats. Many are just dreamers. Some are planning on buying soon. Some are between boats. Others have small day-sailers or such, and are planning on moving up to a cruising boat eventually. And some don't have a boat and don't plan to get one, but charter frequently enough that they want to "keep up" with things by participating here.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 11:33   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum...I have learned never give up on myself or my dream
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 14:54   #6

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome to the Forum. This place is like a support group of its own.

Enjoy!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 15:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Welcome and I wish you well. My cousin recently underwent DBS for the same reasons, and it made a huge difference.
Hope you find the boat and have many happy experiences.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 16:33   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Sorry of the ill healthy and hope the surgery helps. You have a great dream and I hope you can fulfill it.
kind regards,
Old 10-04-2013, 17:56   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First message

Hello Jane.. Hi Hamish.. Welcome to CF...
Rule 1... to 10.. it gets a bit uppity in here from time to time so a thick skin and a good sense of humour is essential..
Advice is in plenty.. there's some very helpful and knowledgeable folk on here... you coulda done a lot worse.. I think...
Good luck with your dreams...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:43   #10

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The only 'uppity' one here regularly is boatman but he is bearable and has been there and done it. My sympathies for your condition and I wish you well in your treatment.
My advice is not to wait on your dreams... try and live them, even if it is only day to day. You will find that this forum is a great way to meet others with similar interests and even live your dream, although vicariously, through folks that are cruising, want to or have done it, like the boatman who has made some special friends down under.
You can get a feel for the individuals who post here by checking their profiles for experience, background and where they have cruised/lived. This will help you evaluate their opinions, advice, suggestions, etc.
While you deal with your health and family issues, you can count on moral support from the CF family. It is great that you have a devoted partner to help you through such a difficult time... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome Jane and Hamish.

You have certainly had your share of life's problems so by my estimation, you must be due for some good luck.

Australia has a great culture of yacht clubs. They are often looking for race crew. Even with zero experience you will still be welcome initially as ballast (sitting on the rail), especially if you make a commitment to turn up most Saturdays.
You will learn a lot in a very short time.

Good luck and ask away on the forum. That what its for.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:58   #12

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

welcome, good luck, fair winds following seas and lots of love
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:35   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: First message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
The only 'uppity' one here regularly is boatman but he is bearable and has been there and done it. My sympathies for your condition and I wish you well in your treatment.
My advice is not to wait on your dreams... try and live them, even if it is only day to day. You will find that this forum is a great way to meet others with similar interests and even live your dream, although vicariously, through folks that are cruising, want to or have done it, like the boatman who has made some special friends down under.
You can get a feel for the individuals who post here by checking their profiles for experience, background and where they have cruised/lived. This will help you evaluate their opinions, advice, suggestions, etc.
While you deal with your health and family issues, you can count on moral support from the CF family. It is great that you have a devoted partner to help you through such a difficult time... cheers, Phil
Not just Australia... made some very special friends from around the World through CF... some met... and others yet to meet... they've all been great.
There's also a strong female presence on here... Saucy, Zeehag, Judy, Katiusha and many more.. Mermaid's is a ladies group on here you may find of interest for certain specific's (female related)....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote