Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:13   #31

Boat: Stays'l Schooner, 85ft
Re: Finally - We're Registered !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
This is our first time in the ha ha. We have kinda the opposite boat situation. We are currently the smallest boat signed up at only 28 feet. We are cruising on the cheap so we will be anchoring at almost every stop. We plan on getting to San Diego around the 18th also, I'm sure we won't be able to miss your sticks in the harbor! We will be sure to stop by!

Cheers,
Jon
Yes! Please do stop in at any time - there will be lots of room aboard and I'm sure our sticks will be hard to miss. As of this morning, prep'ing to haul the boat out, we moved the masts to lay along side the hull to keep applying paint and officially measured the main. It's 79' from the deck up. Both are keel stepped, so we just measured from the deck line. Damn they're big! We aren't sure yet where we'll be docked or anchored in San Diego. We'll be the Grand Banks Beige w/Dark Green boot stripe and a clipper bow under the 23' bow sprit. White sails w/dark green covers. Oh, DESTINY on the transom Now we're negotiating to find a delivery captain to sail with us on her first "off shore" after restoration for safety and training concerns. First quote about gave me a heart attack! Any suggestions on where to look (other than a post here) greatly appreciated!!

If I could figure out how to post pix here, I would. Apparently, all the ones I take are too large to load and I don't know how to resize them with the program I have to download from my camera. I do, however, load almost daily onto my Facebook page and all the pix are in a open to the public group called s/v Destiny. My avatar is the same pix as on here, so it's easy to find. There's over 500 pix on there since March - more daily.

We'll look for you Jon along the way - what are your plans after reaching Cabo? Hanging out for a while?
ccrdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:04   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
You MUST provide more pictures of that beauty. In the blocks, the launching, first sail, etc., etc., etc.

Here's the best I can do for pictures right now. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

This should be a link to the Destiny Group on Facebook with tonnes of pictures of her. Truly, there's upwards of 500 posted there.
Old 06-07-2011, 13:17   #33

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrdivers View Post
Here's the best I can do for pictures right now. Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

This should be a link to the Destiny Group on Facebook with tonnes of pictures of her. Truly, there's upwards of 500 posted there.
Just went through the batch of pictures. Whew! Made me want to run out and start a few projects of my own! You guys have a beauty in the works and I just hope I can see her before I take off for the East Coast. Good luck!

Don
S/V Nomad
Old 06-07-2011, 13:25   #34

Thanks Don! She's been a real pain at times, and through all the splinters, smashed thumbs, painted hair and nails in the feet - we just can't wait to get her in the water! We'll leave the welcome mat out for ya when & if you can make it aboard.

And I'm THRILLED the link worked!!! Whew, no everyone who has asked for pix can see what's up with Destiny. And we're working on a website for her too - nothing there yet, but the addy will be www.schoonerdestiny.com and launch is hoped to be around mid September about the time we leave Port Townsend.
Old 06-07-2011, 13:27   #35

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Our plans after Cabo really depends on our remaining funds. We will need to cruise on around $700 a month in order to stay out our prospected 6mo. I hope we can achieve this. We plan on staying in the sea of Cortez for a while the catch the party in z town! Love to chose with you guys!

Jon
Old 06-07-2011, 13:44   #36

Boat: Norseman 447

Hey Guys,

Great looking boat! Great pics! Good to have another stays'l schooner out here. At only 64', our Cocokai will look small next to Destiny. We did the 06' Haha, and after 5 yrs and 24,000 nms, are still going strong.

Wish I could help you out with getting her south but getting ready to leave Aus. to be in Thailand by Xmas.

Being FRP, our boat is still a ton of maintenace. I can't imagine how busy you'll be out here! Bring lots of varnish as it's not easy to find in some places. We'll keep our eyes open for you.

Cheers, Greg
s/v Cocokai
Townsville, Aus.
ps. Say Hi to Richard & Dona for us!
Greg4cocokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:19   #37

Jon, we'd love to sail along with you guys for as long as we're all heading the same direction! We too are going to try to sail on a budget as by the time we get her back in the water, we'll be dead broke anyway! And we're planning on Z town for the holidays - after that is to be determined and up to suggestions.

How awesome to have our boats together along the Haha trip, and if you needed help, we could just put Tara on the deck and finish the trip! HA Just kidding! It'll still be fun to know at least 2 other people along the trip and Mike & I are looking forward to Oct 18th. Actually, the 25th of October is our 7th anniversary, the first held at sea since we got married, also on the water.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:25   #38

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Are you guys divers? My other half Shannon is an instructor and I have had to redesign the whole boat trying to accommodate all the gear for her and I! It would be great to have fellow divers on the trip!
Old 06-07-2011, 19:40   #39

Boat: Bristol 31.1

Smooth sailing! That is one awesome boat, particularly given her history. What a gem!

Am going to join the FB group ...
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:43   #40

Oh yeah, we're divers. CCR Divers (closed circuit rebreather divers). We owned a dive shop & commercial salvage biz. Sold them, bought the boat. I also am an instructor and we're putting a compressor on board to do our fills and I feel your pain trying to accommodate all the gear! Truly! We have dbl the gear (his & mine) for the closed circuit gear and then for the open circuit gear and the HP tanks, stage btls, drysuits, etc. I totally get the pain you must feel! And on a 28' boat? Dude, you're a gem to accommodate her if you don't dive as well!

We plan on LOTS of diving in LOTS of places!! And our crew are also divers, so it'll be a lot of fun having a liveaboard dive boat (at least for a while I'm sure) that we'll call home and not have to charter!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28   #41

Oh My Gosh! We just got our edition of the August 2011 (issue 221) of the Wooden Boat Magazine. While reading himself to sleep, Mike bolted out of bed like he'd been shot! There's a wonderful article on pg. 82 written by Dennis Daoust and in it, he tells of our boat - DESTINY, while relating the story and work of his boat, SCRIMSHAW. So it's wonderful to know there are more boats formerly owned by Preston Sturgess being revived, and to learn more history on our own boat!

Mike was up for hours after this article. Pacing ... August 5th can't come soon enough to get DESTINY back in the water!!
Old 17-08-2011, 08:55   #42

At long last, DESTINY is again floating! The launch didn't happen in July, although we still had a helluva great Launch party!), it didn't happen Aug 5th, but in keeping with the saying - "3rd time is a charm" - we launched on August 12th a little before noon. With over 50 folks on hand to witness the long anticipated event, Destiny got her toes in the water and to everyone's relief, did not start gulping gallons of water into her bilge! In fact, after 24 hrs., the bilge was running approx 3 seconds every 34 minutes! Amazing! Of course, we then discovered that the 'old' limber holes on the port side are about 12" ABOVE the water. So, after pumping approx 300 gallons out, she hasn't resupplied herself - so that's awesome. Whew! Masts going in tomorrow, solar array frame is onboard, navigation stuff starts getting wired in thurs/frid. Goal? To be mostly finished enough to take off for a couple weeks and work out the kinks before the Wooden Boat Festival. Hopefully, we'll have a few sails to play with by the 27th when we hope to cast off for San Juan Islands.
Crew is all in place and all we need now is the boat completed and leave for San Diego! Baja Haha here we come

Destiny is getting a new website that is still under construction, but there's lots of pictures there now. www.schoonerdestiny.com The goal is to have the site finished by our departure ...
Old 17-08-2011, 09:44   #43

"Weary am I of the tumult, sick of the staring crowd,
Pining for wild sea places where the soul may think aloud.
Fled is the glamour of cities, dead as the ghost of a dream,
While I pine anew for the tint of blue on the breast of the old Gulf Stream."
FREE by: Eugene O’Neill

Wrong ocean, but the ideas the same.
Old 17-08-2011, 10:01   #44

Don, you find and know the most beautiful poems! Thanks for this one.
Old 17-08-2011, 11:32   #45

It just sounded like what you must be feeling now.