Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2007, 13:12   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Full time cruiser
Boat: Garcia, Passoa 46, La Danseuse
Posts: 14
Filling French LP gas bottles in the USA

Does anyone out there have any information or ideas on how I can fill
my French LP gas bottles in the USA?? I have tried several propane
providers and they all refuse. They all say they have "no adapters to
fill the bottles". Is it possible to have an adapter made to fit my bottle, and if so, where?? Do I need to convert my entire system?? I hope not!!
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanking everyone in advance.


gasmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 04:56   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2
thats a harsh one, depending on you length of stay in the states, you will a) not be able to refill you Euopean bottles
b) have a hard time finding an 'adapter'

Your best option would be to look for the first threaded fitting from the existing tank and work back to the tank from there... with the goal being to make it fit the US style tank, then get the cheapest US tanks you can find that fit your application, as when you leave again, the US tanks will be obsolete for you....

Some other concerns would be what you plan on doing with the boat, if you are staying in the states, same fix, but get better tanks. If you are going south into the caribbean, keep both... south america and beyond, to the pacific, forget the US tanks and fittings, keep the EU tanks/fittings....

On the brightside, the brass fittings are available at most hardware stores to make this happen.... you could even fit it out to use the little disposable US tanks if you are just passing through....

coconutisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 15:33   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tampa fl
Boat: Alura 30
Posts: 593
I have the same problem.I just ordered 5# tanks from Milwaukee to replace my french tanks,now I will have to have an adapter to connect to the boat systems.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 18:25   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,901
There should be a short hose between the tank and solinoid valve. Remove the EU hose and have one made to US spec.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 09:37   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: germany, Berlin, boat at Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Posts: 91
A question in this context.

Where can I get gas bottle adaptors for US gas bottles going to the pacific?
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.