Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2008, 10:06   #31

Boat: 44 footer
Sad story!

I wonder what a Martime lawyer would have to say about this...

The laws on the water are strange enough, their might be a "Don't skip jail" card in there to throw...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 12:49   #32
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Sully,

Having lived a fair amount in English Harbor I am familiar with the mega yacht crew babes. These are the people who want to be close to the rich and powerful and have dreams of meeting some prince charming on board, owner or one of the guests to suck them into the easy life. They are gossipy social climbing creatures who are trying to trade on their "looks" and suffer polishing stainless steel and cleaning perfectly clean yachts to be able to live way about their pay scale as most of these yachts are often without the owner or guests aboard.

Of course the proper approach would be to study in a marine school and become a qualified crew. The chicks are nothing but bar maids with little mega yachtie uniforms. What a turn off!

You shoulda know that the minute she told you what she was going for and told her to find another yacht to practice on. Bad Sully!
You know, apparently, I'm an idiot when it comes to judging others. Seriously. I gave her the benefit of the doubt, assuming we all have to start somewhere to get some sea time to be able to even get hired in a megayacht (like I had to). Your description appears to be quite accurate, except that she wasn't so good looking.. haha

She was definitely looking for the easy life - Buffet (not Warren), drinking, sunshine and lounging. I had went into great detail about what the delivery would be like, provided her with books, etc...

Probably the same reason I don't know how to screen crazies out of charters. If I didn't have my wife, I'd probably invite every floozie or axe murderer out there on board... lol
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 13:01   #33

Sully,

You great guy and a trusting soul. Not a bad thing to be, and I know the type. You will get taken advantage of by people like her. But the alternative is creepy, ie seeing everyone as an axe murderer.

I go through this thing with "locks". We lock everything and the presumption is something unlocked is there for the taking. Now I would never open a car door if I saw a camera on the seat for example, because I don't take things which are not mine. Yet I am always locking things at wifey's insistence and it drives me nuts be made to act paranoid. I left my BMW unlocked in Shelter Island for years and nothing ever happened.

Why do we have so many locks?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 13:33   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Why do we have so many locks?
Perhaps because we have too many things.

When we moved to Nevis, we gave away overtwo thirds of our "things". It felt pretty good!
Old 17-04-2008, 13:42   #35

Hud3,

More things means more locks, but why do we have to lock our things in the first place? I remember as a child our house was left unlocked almost all the time. That was before all these security systems and few robberies in the neighborhood. Now it's all locked down.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 13:57   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Yeah, I know what you're saying.

The place where we lived in Virginia before we moved to Nevis was a rural county on the Chesapeake Bay. We'd go off sailing or drive up to Richmond and leave the house unlocked, even overnight sometimes. It's the same here on Nevis. I think if we get burglarized, I'll have to say that's the price of living unlocked!
Old 17-04-2008, 14:01   #37
jzk

My wife leaves her car unlocked with the keys in the ignition in the driveway. Most nights her purse is right there on the front seat.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 14:35   #38
cruiser

I know what you meant about the locks. When I was a kid, my house and cars were left open all the time in NH. I always told people who were amazed at that: "Well, if someone stole our things, I'd know who it was anyway - small town."

I do see your point with locks. I actually had to teach my wife (also a NYer by birth) to leave our 2002 Hyundai Accent UNLOCKED to prevent anyone from taking it. She didn't quite get it, having grown up in LI pretty close to Queens. With that car, a thief is looking for a radio or something in the glove box. I explained to her that we will have no broken windows or whatever by leaving it open so they can rummage through, or notice that if it's unlocked, there surely must be nothing of value in it.

Buy anyway, yeah... I'm glad I'm married to a NYer. Now that I've left the city, I'm back to my backwoods New England ways and trusting too many people. She helps balance it out by being overly suspicious of everyone. 99% of the time, she's right, too.

PS: It's good to have people to talk to on my delivery. This forum is my entertainment. This thread has been very interesting.
Old 17-04-2008, 14:44   #39

DAVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
mermaid,
It is indeed a great place for sailing. There are plenty of people on this forum who live here. If you are ever visiting here I would imagine that you may be able to get hooked up with a member for a daysail. I hear there are lots of horny old men on this forum...LOL...just kidding. I know for a fact though that there are lots of very nice people on this forum and I hope you find the latter if you ever visit here. In fact, I met in person one of the forum members at the Oakland Boat Show today...he and his wife are both very nice.

David

Where are these alleged horny old men!? I haven't been able to find myself a good one in a long time! I actually have been planning a return trip to San Fran this year! I try to get out there at least once a year! Every time I go back east my heart aches for that crisp SanFran air! I would be thrilled to find someone to take me on a day sail! I have to be careful ( petite woman travelling alone and all) Don't want to end up being some crazy sailors dinner, I will depend on the folks in the forum for a good recommendation on someone to sail with or a nice horny old man! LOL

SErena
mermaidserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 14:54   #40

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Serena:
Sorry to read of your scoundrel ex and scuttled boat. Sounds like you might have a chance to refloat the boat and maybe sink him with the law. It's a hard lesson in "love" but wiser next time.
If/when you come back out here to SF you can easily find guys to go sailing with; check the "crew list" of Latitude 38. You, being young, petite and skilled, have the odds on your side. And try to remember that living well is the best revenge!
John
Old 17-04-2008, 14:55   #41

DEFJEF

YOU are an extremely intelligent human being! I'm sure you have heard that many times! But I am surprised to have someone hit the nail on the head from cyber space!
Where in LI are you? I'm in Greenwich, CT right now that's right across the way!

Sully so are you
Old 17-04-2008, 15:05   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
I agree with David here.

I'm as co-depenent as they come.

I recently dropped off my crew for this delivery I'm on. She was a 27 yr old female (I'm 36, my wife is 28). I didn't get along with the crew well because she had portrayed herself as a professional looking to get into a career on megayachts, but when she showed up, she couldn't wake up until 10AM, smoked, wasn't interested in boats, couldn't do anything in the galley, ate Cheetos for breakfast, etc... I couldn't piece it together for a while, until we stopped at our first marina. She vanished within 15 mins and was gone all night. She had maybe 3 drinks in the first half hour of our docking, and when I went to the bar later with a friend where she was, strangers were warning me that she was drinking too much.

Well, I figured it out. She obviously needs AA.

DefJef is absolutely spot on with his advice. Also, my point with the above story is that even though this girl was well... what I describe above, she had a gaggle of half a dozen guys hoping when she left my boat she'd jump ship onto theirs. One "lucky" guy won out, but a girl who is willing to go sailing is rare among many *many* single men with boats. You can be a lot more choosy!

He is right and so are you. I've heard of girls like that! Ive heard them been called names like "DOCK WHORE"( A terrible name to call a woman) I hate to say it boys but every woman I know has or does fantasize about meeting a rich man! It's not my cup of tea I always end up poor and madly in love, but look where that got me and who it got me YUCK! I don't how many women are really in it for the sailing but It was a man who gave me the gift of the interest in sailing! I decided to take that interest away with me when I left that relationship! I guess I am really shy, I know that there are alot of single men in the sailing world, but I was never looking before! I need to just get over the boat that sunk! She may be gone but the ex-boyfriend is in another state now so I'm not worried about him
Old 17-04-2008, 15:10   #43

SULLIVAN
If you need a real sailor to help with deliveries! I know what hard work is all about and I'm endlessly available at this point in my life! I can't believe your wife hasn't thrown any of those young galley wenches overboard yet! You must have a great first mate yourself!
Old 17-04-2008, 15:15   #44

Thanks John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
Serena:
Sorry to read of your scoundrel ex and scuttled boat. Sounds like you might have a chance to refloat the boat and maybe sink him with the law. It's a hard lesson in "love" but wiser next time.
If/when you come back out here to SF you can easily find guys to go sailing with; check the "crew list" of Latitude 38. You, being young, petite and skilled, have the odds on your side. And try to remember that living well is the best revenge!
John

Great words of encouragement! It is excruciating not being able to sail right now! If this forum wasn't hear for me vicariously live through others I would be so bummed
Old 17-04-2008, 15:39   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidserena View Post
SULLIVAN
If you need a real sailor to help with deliveries! I know what hard work is all about and I'm endlessly available at this point in my life! I can't believe your wife hasn't thrown any of those young galley wenches overboard yet! You must have a great first mate yourself!
This is pretty tempting after having been excluded from many great passages outside the ICW due to a lack of crew. I don't do well when I'm tired and have to take the helm over 12 hours with no autopilot.... zzzz.

I do have the best first mate (or as they call them on here, Admiral) in the world. She's pretty confident in being able to hold on to me though, so she doesn't worry about "galley wenches" ha ha. Former Miss Teen NY, was on some TV shows and commercials AND likes sailing and living well. I'd be an idiot to mess that one up... lol

I'll send you a PM. I really do need some crew. This delivery is draining my brain. Soooo many hours at the helm without any breaks. I don't know how singlehanders do it. You singlehanders are all a bunch of die hard freaks. My hat's off to you all.

PS: I'm in the DefJef fan club too.