Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 00:49   #1

Escaping Insanity

Hi,

My name is Kyle, I'm 26 years old from Vancouver BC Canada. I left my job of 7 years when I realized I wasn’t happy and needed a change. Over the past year I took it easy, did a lot of thinking, reading and self reflection. I sold my car, my bike, and moved in with my best friend. I don't want a life where years melt together doing the same old thing, and slaving away to pay off a house and crap that doesn't matter. Instead, I want to see the world and experience and learn everything I can. I'm mechanically inclined, I'm nice, courteous, and respectful. I'm leaving everything behind to break away from my cyclical sheltered life that I’ll never be content with here. Hopefully someone will take me in and show me the ropes because I don't have a boat to sail! But plan to learn one way or another and eventually get my own.

I've been enlightened, now I need that first hand perspective of what life should really be about. Cheers to everyone following their dreams.
fique tranquilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Escaping Insanity

sounds like you need to join the navy and see the world
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:38   #3

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Welcome to the forum mate!

You might wanna try Dutch Harbour.. You could get lucky and score both offshore experience and funds for a boat. Say hi to all the crazy norwegians for me.

.manitu
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The problem with enlightenment is that it doesn’t guarantee entitlement.
Sometimes you need to work for it and have a plan.
Best of luck!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kyle.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:51   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Escaping Insanity

Hi Kyle.. Welcome to CF
Good luck with the 'Dream'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12   #7

I might be a tad naive, but I do understand that nothing comes easy. I'll be more than happy to share my setbacks and successes along the way. Happy to have found this community.
fique tranquilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Yes you can. I "ran away" from home at 19, drove to the ocean, happily found that I loved boats too. So desperate to be near/on the ocean, I worked for free. Then as I learned the bow from the stern, I began to hop on any boat that would take me. Pretty soon people started to pay me to crew, dont tell, but I'd of done it for free.
Learn, read, take classes if you can ( though I didn't till much later) help out aboard a boat. Crew the races, but know their screaming, cussing, and grabbing of their own body parts to relay a point to another, is not the norm, sailors in general are a very laid back gang.
After a few scary situations, I learned that family boats were the best boats to crew on. They really appreciate your help, the boats are usually better maintained, and the safety gear up to date. This is not true for all boats so use your eyes and ears and especially your common sense when picking a boat to crew on.
The professional deliveries, though not as laid back as the family cruiser, can be a great source of money. It is pretty wild to get a check for a couple thousand dollars to sail a beautiful boat around the Atlantic, but someone has gotta do it.

I'm 40ish now and look back at that great leap of faith and thank God I did it!

I hope you are able to realize your dreams,
Erika
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17   #9

Boat: Mac 26X

The "Join the Navy" Idea isn't a bad one! It might not be as "happy go lucky" as you'd like but it's more certain! But whatever you do, just go.

There are tons of menial labor jobs (yah gots to eat) in any large boat city, whether in a yard or a restaurant, and you'll soon make friends with boats if you hang around the right bars or marinas. I'm sure you will be on the water before you know it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47   #10

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fique tranquilo View Post
Hi,

My name is Kyle, I'm 26 years old from Vancouver BC Canada. I left my job of 7 years when I realized I wasn’t happy and needed a change.
That's the way to go! I did the same thing once changed to eskimo to musher to fisherman to reindeerherder to wilderness guide to pilot to diver among some other things
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:23   #11

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

5 years ago I was living in Whistler shred'in the mountain and living the dream.....or so i thought. I started to realized that although this was a sick life, it would get old without some sort of change.

I found a 35' boat in Oak Bay, Victoria for sale and ended up scoring it for $12k. I had never sailed a boat before, but I just jumped on it and sailed her into Squamish. There wasn't any room at the docks so i just tied her up to the pilings and rowed to shore everyday for work....it wasn't ideal, but it worked and i loved it.

Long story short, by Sept '13 I'll be quitting my job and heading to the tropics.....its going to be a wild ride no doubt.

Forget the long road, just buy a boat asap and get going.....its really not that hard.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:29   #12

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider
5 years ago I was living in Whistler shred'in the mountain and living the dream.....or so i thought. I started to realized that although this was a sick life, it would get old without some sort of change.

I found a 35' boat in Oak Bay, Victoria for sale and ended up scoring it for $12k. I had never sailed a boat before, but I just jumped on it and sailed her into Squamish. There wasn't any room at the docks so i just tied her up to the pilings and rowed to shore everyday for work....it wasn't ideal, but it worked and i loved it.

Long story short, by Sept '13 I'll be quitting my job and heading to the tropics.....its going to be a wild ride no doubt.

Forget the long road, just buy a boat asap and get going.....its really not that hard.
hehe...are you related to Black Oak?

I think the OP has a pretty sane plan :-)
Old 05-03-2013, 13:32   #13

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post

you should start a thread with your story, sounds like a good one!
Old 05-03-2013, 14:46   #14

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
hehe...are you related to Black Oak?

I think the OP has a pretty sane plan :-)
Black Oak?....I don't follow...maybe??

As for a "sane idea".....joining the Navy certainly isn't one. Although i admit, sanity is all perception.....the way we throw the term around anyways.

Fique Tranquilo, welcome to the forum, you live in a great sailing area, deep water, big tides and lots of current; you'll be a pro in no time!
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 15:07   #15

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

BlackOak's story is here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uda-91566.html

Good for any beginner to read. Non-beginners, too.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote