Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 13:59   #1

Boat: Soon to be Lagoon 400S2
Dreams have become Real Life

Hi, My wife and I, married 28 years, have been talking, always dreaming about cruising on a sailboat and living on a nice sailboat.

All really started when my wife was talking about what to do when we are retired. She made the comment, "somewhere we can wear T-shirts and flip flops 24/7". I suggested living own a sailboat, we could do that anywhere we wanted to go, move when we wanted. We have owned and power boated since before we were married, but never sailed. She laughed and told me, "you don't know how to sail". I went out and started learning to sail. In several months we bought a 28' sailboat, good for weekend stays, that was 6 years ago.

We fell in love with sailing and started really talking about doing as we had dreamed, owning a big enough boat to live on. Started saving, selling our house, looking forward to retirement, and owing a cruising sailboat.

We have made it reality, just purchased a 2013 Lagoon 400S2 Owner version in the Mediterranean. We'll be cruising in May!
69Datsun510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 14:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Dreams have become Real Life

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Datsun.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 15:03   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Datsun510 View Post

We have made it reality, just purchased a 2013 Lagoon 400S2 Owner version in the Mediterranean. We'll be cruising in May!
Here's to hoping your dream and reality match
Old 15-10-2019, 15:39   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations! This is the kind of story many people here will want to hear a lot more about!
Can I have your Datsun 510 since you won’t be needing it anymore?
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 09:42   #5

Congratulations ��
Garyfelske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 15:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Congratulations! This is the kind of story many people here will want to hear a lot more about!
Can I have your Datsun 510 since you won’t be needing it anymore?
LOL, Thread drift, by the OP, but have to share one of my other passions!

I'm like crying because I have to sell our 510
I've built 3 Datsun 510's, two 69's, and one '72. This was the one is for me, did one with my son for him, and one for my wife. Mine has been a long project, delayed for son's college days, life budgeting challenges. I've just got mine on the road after 7 years! Now, I get a few months to enjoy as my daily driver, before selling. We talked about storing the 510, son can drive once a month to keep everything in order, but the $200/mos for 3-5 years before landing back in SoCal, will be an added expense we don't need.

My '69 Datsun 510, with air conditioning, with KA24DE with mods 175 HP, limited slip diff, 4 wheel Disc brakes, new upholstered MR2 bucket seats, and all new Autometer Gauges, just to name a few upgrades.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1571263672
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Engine.jpg Views: 96 Size: 427.6 KB ID: 201614" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	MR2DriverSeatDone.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	201615

The Datsun 510 '68-'73, model years, is as iconic, as a VW Bug, both rarely seen as daily drivers anymore. Surprising for how many were sold. The success of the Datsun 510 racing in the USA, is the reason we have Nissan, in the USA.

I can't let you have it, sorry, but you have a chance to own, at the right price.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AlomostDone.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	201613  
Old 16-10-2019, 17:07   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Wow! That’s a beautiful 510! I remember lusting after the 510s and the BMW 2002s in high school for their handling reps. Never got to drive any though! I had a Citroen ID 19, which was a great car, but couldn’t handle like those guys.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 22:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Wow! That’s a beautiful 510! I remember lusting after the 510s and the BMW 2002s in high school for their handling reps. Never got to drive any though! I had a Citroen ID 19, which was a great car, but couldn’t handle like those guys.
Thank you sir! My wife works with a guy who is the original owner of a 1971 2002 BMW.

I like the BMW's, but I still think the 510 is a better looking car. The 510 is a way better handling car over the BMW, in my opinion, and proven with the track history. Its still the preferred B sedan car to race. They are a fun car for the street, always. I have people asking about the car, commenting on the car, giving me thumbs up, etc. I think it gets more attention then lots of the old American classics, you just don't see many restored 510's driving around anymore. Everyone young and old seems to relate and know the 510. I will miss my 510
Old 17-10-2019, 22:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Here's to hoping your dream and reality match
Yes sir, not always easily done.

I do know how much work goes in to owning a sailboat, any boat for that matter. I've owned plenty over the years, glad I'm a mechanical engineer and backyard mechanic! LOL
Old 18-10-2019, 00:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Datsun510 View Post
Hi, My wife and I, married 28 years, have been talking, always dreaming about cruising on a sailboat and living on a nice sailboat.

All really started when my wife was talking about what to do when we are retired. She made the comment, "somewhere we can wear T-shirts and flip flops 24/7". I suggested living own a sailboat, we could do that anywhere we wanted to go, move when we wanted. We have owned and power boated since before we were married, but never sailed. She laughed and told me, "you don't know how to sail". I went out and started learning to sail. In several months we bought a 28' sailboat, good for weekend stays, that was 6 years ago.

We fell in love with sailing and started really talking about doing as we had dreamed, owning a big enough boat to live on. Started saving, selling our house, looking forward to retirement, and owing a cruising sailboat.

Iove stories like this! Good luck and have fun!
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 00:41   #11

Boat: Amel 50

Congratulations! Enjoy your dream come true.

My wife and I have been in the Med for a year now and we're enjoying it a lot. Next season we'll spend it in Greece.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 00:45   #12

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

What a wonderful story! i'm very happy for you!

Thank you for sharing!!!

wolfgal
Old 18-10-2019, 01:34   #13

Boat: X442

Very nice story, way to go!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 16:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransw View Post
Iove stories like this! Good luck and have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
What a wonderful story! i'm very happy for you!

Thank you for sharing!!!

wolfgal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
Very nice story, way to go!
Thank you for the recognition of a life goal. Life's path is not always easy, takes some of us longer than others, but one foot in front of the other, you get there!
Old 18-10-2019, 16:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy your dream come true.

My wife and I have been in the Med for a year now and we're enjoying it a lot. Next season we'll spend it in Greece.
Thank you! I'm Glad to hear you are out there enjoying the sailing life. There is a chance we could meet up with you in Greece next season. Will be cruising starting in May, in Croatia. We plan to visit Greece for sure.