Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 17:18   #1

Dreaming of Cruising-

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff, my wife and I have been intrigued by the cruiser lifestyle for some time. We reside in NY and have NEVER sailed. We are power boaters currently using Lake Ontario. We attended the fall sailboat show in Annapolis to look at a few boats and have decided we are in the market for a catamaran.

We are both healthcare professionals with some ties to here- We have a house and 3 school aged daughters. We are unsure how soon to actually throw off the lines but we would go today if the heavens aligned. We are both currently licensed in our respective fields in NY and FL. Looking to transition to live aboard in the keys while we figure out long term plans. Plans would be to auction our house and big possessions here. We are at the very start of our adventure and am happy to share it here, as well as hopeful to pick up some useful tips and advice.
Hoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 04:00   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Dreaming of Cruising-

You might want to take some ASA sailing lessons first. Learn to sail and then do a charter in say the BVIs to see if the family can take it. See how that goes and how the family adapts.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 04:15   #3

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Hi,

welcome! I'd also advise to learn sailing first.

And do a charter in the area you're planning to live in. Maybe even just do a powerboat charter there first, the sailing part isn't the fulcrum here. It's living on a boat in a community of people living on boats. There's plenty areas where the dream and the reality differ, you gotta find out for yourself if you can adjust to these.

Andi
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 04:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 05:01   #5

Thanks everyone- some lessons are definitely in the plans- I talked to a few sailing schools while in Annapolis. It’s to cold now.
As far as living in a boat. I’m confident this will not be an issue. We spend weeks at a time in our powerboat both on the hook and at her slip. Family loves it. The new people and culture are a big part of the dream.
We just returned from key west, we wanted to charter there but couldn’t swallow the price to stay in a vessel vs land.
I hold love to get a sail boat sooner than later- if I can’t find the right cat I may grab a day sailer this summer to get my feet wet.
Old 28-01-2019, 05:13   #6

One of the Forum's members, A Boat Named Sue, has recently (partly) done this. You can contact them through their website:

A Boat Named Sue » Jarvis Family Adventure

Also add me to advisors who are encouraging you to take all the ASA 101-104 before purchasing your boat. Not only sailing, but being aboard various sailing boats, will help inform your boat choice.

Good luck!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 05:13   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Get a day sailer and learn to sail first.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 05:49   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2 View Post
Thanks everyone- some lessons are definitely in the plans- I talked to a few sailing schools while in Annapolis. It’s to cold now.
As far as living in a boat. I’m confident this will not be an issue. We spend weeks at a time in our powerboat both on the hook and at her slip. Family loves it. The new people and culture are a big part of the dream.
We just returned from key west, we wanted to charter there but couldn’t swallow the price to stay in a vessel vs land.
I hold love to get a sail boat sooner than later- if I can’t find the right cat I may grab a day sailer this summer to get my feet wet.
“We just returned from Key West, we wanted to charter but couldn’t swallow the price in a vessel vs land.”.

WOW! All kinds of warning bells, whistles and lights went off on that one. No don’t do it, for several reasons. Doesn’t sound like you can afford it, you don’t know what you’re getting into, and living full time in tight quarters is very different from spending weekends in tight quarters.

It’s not all like the sailing videos on youtube. Get some experience first to hopefully, avoid a major life screwup.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 10:52   #9

Thanks for the confidence. Not a very welcoming comment.
And just because I can’t see paying someone 2g”s to sleep on their boat by no means reflects on my budget. I can comfortably afford the cats I am looking at in the 40-50’ range. But thanks for your concern.
Old 28-01-2019, 11:30   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the confidence. Not a very welcoming comment.
And just because I can’t see paying someone 2g”s to sleep on their boat by no means reflects on my budget. I can comfortably afford the cats I am looking at in the 40-50’ range. But thanks for your concern.
Many times in life the best advice is the advice one doesn't want to hear because they're so revved up on the way to making a bad choice. Think about that before you make the move, and also consider that better than 90% of the people who attempt what your doing, fail within the first 18 months or so and the boat is then back up for sale.

You might wanna do some more homework and sharpen your pencil. Selling everything at auction to jump in head first without first testing the water is never a good idea.
Old 28-01-2019, 14:06   #11

Ken,
Thank you for the advice. I have been researching this for >a year. My decision to auction was not made lightly and is not out of urgency.
I appreciate that you took the time to reply and your advice hasn’t gone unrecognized. With that said, if you find one of those boats with an 18 month turn around while in your travels please let me know. [emoji6]
Old 28-01-2019, 19:29   #12
cruiser

Will do. Good luck.
Old 29-01-2019, 04:37   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Ken,
Thank you for the advice. I have been researching this for >a year. My decision to auction was not made lightly and is not out of urgency.
I appreciate that you took the time to reply and your advice hasn’t gone unrecognized. With that said, if you find one of those boats with an 18 month turn around while in your travels please let me know. [emoji6]
As above this life is not for everyone. We have been underway for 12 years and seen more than a few who quit very quickly. One story is a guy and his wife we met in Maine who had my dream boat and a brand new one at that. They had sold everything and got the boat new and were buying all the things the glossy mags said they would need to circum nav. They wanted us to go with them. This was our 2nd year out and their first. We said no we were not prepared nor was our boat - we had purchased a brand new Jeanneau DS40. We sailed together for a while and someplace along the line split company as they headed to the Carib and points west while we went to the Bahamas.
We decided we wanted to go farther so went into Deltaville Va and had major upgrades put on our boat and then headed to the Bay Isl of Honduras. While underway we checked in on a cruiser net on the ssb and the woman of the other boat was a net controller. We told her we would be there and said we would sail over to where they are in a few days. She said no do not come as they were leaving the next day to head back to the USA to sell the boat and quit. The lifestyle was not for them.
Saw their boat on line and they took a huge hit to get rid of it.
We have seen more than a few quit as it is not what a lot of the glossy mags say they are.
But again we are really glad we did it as the life is incredible at least for us.
By the way a lot of our friends sail 6 months and live land side 6 months.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 05:36   #14

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Welcome aboard!
Old 29-01-2019, 05:59   #15

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I can fully appreciate that this life choice is not for everyone, and that’s part of the attraction. Some solitude with the sea.

At the advice of everyone in here we have decided to try and charter. Not sure how different it will be than staying on our 38’ powerboat but that’s the advice given and that’s why I am here.

If anyone knows of a reasonable cat charter in FL the week 4/14-4/20 please let me know-
Open to location- some preferred would be keys/ south fl, St Augustine or St pete Areas- but again very open to locations.
Thanks

Tags
cruising