Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20   #31

Re: Dreaming of Cruising-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I am assuming you have been to boat shows and looked at a lot of boats. We had the good fortunate to meet and work with a broker who showed us how to look at a boat. What is the difference between a Hunter and a Swan or a Hunter and Jeanneau (in full disclosure we sail and love our Jeanneau) or say a Catalina and a Bennie or you get the idea. Just like cars boats are not equal and each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I also assume you have done a bit of reading on boats. Make a list of what you want on a boat. We had 1 1/2 pages of things we wanted on a boat - out broker sat with us and went through the list with us and asked us why - it was great having to defend why we wanted each item if it was not evident - and listen to someone who had cruised on the value of each and what worked and what was a no go.

We got lucky with our broker and not all brokers are created equally. After we had purchased I took my son to a boat show and we were going through a boat and I asked if I could remove cushions, lift floor boards ect and explained to my son how this boat was put together vs my boat - as we went to go the guy who was on the boat and talking to visitors asked that I stay as he said he learned more in the past few minutes on the boat than anything. When we got off my son laughed and said did you pay the guy to say that and I said no some brokers are simply salesmen who really do not know their product and that was one.

good luck

Please tell me that your broker is in Florida and if so, what’s their name?
Fairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 00:59   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale View Post
Please tell me that your broker is in Florida and if so, what’s their name?
We met and used Ted Novakowski of SoundYachts. He is in Westbrook Ct but I think he also has an office in south Florida someplace. We credit all our success to Ted for putting us in the right boat. He spent so much time with us not trying to sell us this boat or that but educating us on boats and then on what we were going to do with the boat. But we never dreamed of doing what we are doing now - but Ted put us in a boat that if we did not like the lifestyle we could sell it quickly and not much of a loss and if we liked the life would take us anywhere we wanted to go -- and she has and she is a lot more boat than we are sailors
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:46   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fairytale.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 06:39   #34
cruiser

Welcome Jeff,

I'm soon to sell a house too to pay my way onto a water bed. My gf says she gets seasick. I'm hoping I don't end up with a weekend warrior.

Years ago (30) my good friend was good at everything. Went out on powerboats, no problems. But when he boarded the old mans sail boat he couldn't handle the gorgeous motion of sail. Wasn't rough, that day was as flat as a cat, it's just an adorable motion. I'd recommend a charter or as you mentioned a small sailing craft.
Happy sailor.
Nathan
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 08:58   #35

Boat: 1972 Coronado 27ft noon inboard
Cool Re: Dreaming of Cruising-

I am doing the bucket list. I bought a 1972 Coronado 27ft to learn how to sail. It was the victim of thieves so it only has sails and mast and hardware. I need a new tiller and kicker. This boat doesn't have an inboard. Can anyone give me the recommended size so I won't do any structural damage? Must drydock and redo exterior. Should be an adventure. Am located in Tacoma Washington.
Can you folks out there cut down my learning curve with well received advise?
countryminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 02:30   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, countryminded.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 03:52   #37

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jeff, my wife and I have been intrigued by the cruiser lifestyle for some time. We reside in NY and have NEVER sailed. We are power boaters currently using Lake Ontario. We attended the fall sailboat show in Annapolis to look at a few boats and have decided we are in the market for a catamaran.

We are both healthcare professionals with some ties to here- We have a house and 3 school aged daughters. We are unsure how soon to actually throw off the lines but we would go today if the heavens aligned. We are both currently licensed in our respective fields in NY and FL. Looking to transition to live aboard in the keys while we figure out long term plans. Plans would be to auction our house and big possessions here. We are at the very start of our adventure and am happy to share it here, as well as hopeful to pick up some useful tips and advice.
If it was just the two of you, I would say, go for it, but what about your kids, will they miss their friends? Home schooling requires a lot of discipline too, and you need plenty of space for privacy etc. for a family of 5. I am not saying, you cannot do it, look at Sailing Zatara, they started with a monohull
and ended up in a large pre-owned Privilege catamaran.

https://sailingzatara.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNYlvlreZiRRHo_v5Nmrfow
Old 30-03-2019, 11:19   #38

Thanks everyone- the kids are one of the biggest hold ups. They are currently excelling in school and doing very well. I’m reluctant to disrupt that.
We are 7 years from everyone graduating. Not sure we are waiting that long but we will see.
Been doing a ton of reading and am looking forward to the ice melting to get back in the water!
Hoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising