Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2007, 11:02   #1

Doing my homework

Seasons Greeting from BC.... I'm new here but I've been an active sailor for most of my life, owned a few small day sailboats and chartered over a dozen on the west coast and in Europe. Now I'm starting to look for something larger to cruise and live aboard (on the "wet-coast"). My heart say sail (passion and high cost of fuel) and my head say power-trawler (comfort and space)... This has lead me to the possible comprimise of a motor-sailer... can anyone give me a few suggestions on a good boat (size28-38')... and the pros Vs cons... real life experiences etc.

cheers
paddlebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:34   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Paddle,
Motor-Sailors are a compromise. They don't do either job extremely efficiently but can be very comfortable and if you motor and sail at the same time will be more economical in saving you fuel.
Look on all the usual websites selling boats and you should be able to find some picutes and information.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:38   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
We have a Sceptre 41 saloon pilothouse sailboat. Built in BC. Nice boats. They sail well in both heavy air and light. Probably more than you need if you plan on staying in the PNW but a very sound boat. Motors along at 7 to 8 knots and very comfortable below. There were built custom so there are alot of different layouts. Just need to find one that suits. I would consider a power boat for the PNW more confort but more $$$$.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 22:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
paddlebc - Good luck on your search. A motorsailer may very well be the right vessel. One thing about a powerboat underway is that you should have plenty of heat available.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote