Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 02:04   #1

Diver - New Sailor - 40' Cat?

G'day guys,

I'm an Ozy working overseas (Qatar at the moment) and I'm seriously considering buying my first yacht. Sadly I haven't done a lot of sailing but enough to know that I like sailing and believe I would like a sailing lifestyle.

This site of yours is exactly what I need to make myself aware of the issues etc involved. Currently I'm leaning toward a Catamaran of around 40'. This might be a tad large for a single handed arrangement but I dive and plan to explore the whole sailing/diving thing. So figure I need all the space I can afford and of course I'll be living aboard where ever possible.

As I don't as yet have the skills to sail safely I'm planning to do some courses/training. Any advice (preferably in the Middle East)?
Live to Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:33   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Live to Dive,
I suggest that you take some training (all that you can afford), then rent a boat the size that you intend to buy. A few years ago, I met a guy with ideas close to yours. He wanted to go cruising round the world on a cat with wife and children but needed to learn sailing first. I was the instructor on a course he took, then he proposed that I be the captain on a 38' cat that he would rent before buying the same. I explained that I had no previous experience of cats but was willing to learn.

We went cruising for 2 weeks in summer in the Mediterranean, had calm, medium and rough weather. Then, I got to the conclusion that 38 feet are not enough for blue-water cruising on a catamaran, that I don't like the motion of a cat in a seaway and that he wasn't cut for the job of being the skipper.

Then, renting is a way to make some checks before committing a big lump of money.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 17:05   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome, you probably have more knowledge than you think (being a diver and all). Sorry, I have no input for you on the Middle East, but I am sure someone will. I am new to this site and to web forums but I think there is a "destination" thread about the Middle East, try that for starters.
Good luck on your search,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 13:24   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Diver,
Welcome aboard! A catamaran makes a pretty good diving platform. I've always had a hard time getting gear up over freeboard on my monohulls. Swim steps and such would be easier but I've never had them.
As a diver you know safety and gear checklists and probably have been on boats before. That's about all the similarities I can see but there probably are others that I don't see. Good luck in your pursuit.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 00:56   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies. I see a bit of mail to other people thinking along similar lines to myself. Certainly a lot to think about.

I'll continue with plan to have lessons (life is often the journey and not necessarily the destination) and Rent a couple of yachts as suggested. Can't really go wrong. Lol.
Cheers.
Live to Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 07:12   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
"life is often the journey and not necessarily the destination"

You sound like a sailor already

Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 07:57   #7

Boat: Farrier f27
Look at this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-new-post.html Peter is working along the same lines as you though maybe with a more serious tech diving bent.

Also, Maxingout in this forum is very familiar with the mideast and sailing there as well. I've always wanted to dive the Red Sea.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote