Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2010, 11:38   #31
jkd

Nate,

Go to the NAS ORF sailing center and have a good time. The rates should be good and they will give you a structured lesson plan and get you into various types of boats. Start in the dinghy class boats to get the basics then work your way up. If the "structured" class thing does not suit you or your wife, there are a lot of trailer sailor boats that can be bought cheap in the area and you can just do it yourself.
Remember however it is less stressful to run a navy boat into the seawall than your own when learning.

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 13:01   #32

Boat: Capri 22 - 22ft "Outward Bound II"
Thanks, James
dwilbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 15:13   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Nate View Post
Hey everyone, I'm here in Norfolk Virginia, and am trying to get into sailing, my problem is that I have no idea how to start, I went to the local marina looking at the sailtime instruction, and tried to meet some sailors to try to get answers and all they wanted to do was try to sell me fractional shares. And the people seemed stand offish and really didn't want anything to do with new people. Are cuisers a different kina of people then people who just due the boat time share thing because everthing I have read said cruisers were great acceptinging, helpful people. The people at that meeting didn't seem like that. And I'm really tired of people telling me its impossible for me to learn to sail well enough in 6 years to be able to move aboard a boat and and cruise the Caribbean. I do have one route I can try and that is getting lessons through the Navy, maybe I can meet some sailors that way. But I'm open to any sugestions, and would greatly appreciate any advise. Sorry for venting a little on here but tonight was a bad experience and really discouraging. Hey if you made it this far thanks for reading this.
OK Nate... I suggest buying an old style windsurfer and car topping it to a place where folks like to anchor their boats... You can deliberately fall off close to boats... this usually evokes a remark off one kind or another... strike up a conversation... and before you know it they'll feel sorry coz you can only afford a W/surfer and sympathise with your desire to experience the real thing... ... "
The windsurfer also serves to teach you a lot about windstrengths and angles for maximum efficiency... improves your balance and gets you fit for the "Real Thing"
This of course is conditional on you being physcally capable of the above... but I've found it puts you closer to them and its something many would secretly like to have a go at(between pints).... but think its to difficult...lol.
Thats how I learnt to windsurf... I'm sitting on the boat bored *hitless and this guy toppled of, said he was knackered so I said he was welcome to sit on board awhile... we cracked a coupla beers and I ended up having a go.... coupla weeks later I added a 'board' to the boats inventory.....
Phil.
Phil... aka: Ole Bugga..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 23:20   #34

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Nat, I first sailed on a special services sailboat when i was in the Navy years ago...inexpensive way to learn and good way to meet people.
Case and point...on your unfortunate experience, people you
met really were not sailors...they might have been people who
happened to own sailboats...real sailors always welcome and
make nice with divers, because we are always wrapping something around somewhere...Welcome you've come to the right place.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 20:49   #35

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome to the forum of many opinions!
Retired Navy here and the MWR sailing programs are the cheapest and best you'll ever find.
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
The U. S. Naval Sailing Association out of Annapolis has some great programs on boats up to 44 feet so you are in the right area to learn everything you'll ever need to know. Their phone used to be 201-267-2130 or 2341. They'll give you a recommendation as to where might be the closest facility that does their curriculum. You can't do better so please take an MWR course.
I sailed out of the AmphibBase a couple of times and also out of the NAVSTA at Norfolk.
Thanks for serving.
Kind regards,
Old 09-02-2010, 21:20   #36

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Welcome- please, please do not become discouraged. Sailing and the sailing community can be such a pleasure. I read your thread and just had to welcome you and your wife. I grew up on a Gemini in Norfolk, Va. the sailing community in that town half raised me. I havn't been there in a few years, but it can't have changed that much! Follow the great advice already given by others and we will see you on the water soon!
Old 06-12-2010, 19:15   #37

Boat: Capri 22 - 22ft "Outward Bound II"
Nate, I replied to you last January, and would still like to hear from you. I run the SAilTime base in Hampton Roads. If you had as bad an experience at our 2010 January winter party, as I said before, I sincerely apologize for my guests, and myself. What does make it difficult for me is that the event was a party, there was no selling of any variety. If my members, on their own, wanted you to consider the SailTime program, then what can I say.

Should you ever like to take another look at our sailing school or Fractional Membership program, I'd be very happy to chat.

Dave
dwilbar is offline   Reply With Quote