Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 22:15   #1

Destin, FL - August 2016

Hello everyone,

Obviously I am new to sailing. My family and I will be in Florida, August 6 - 13th 2016, if anyone plans on going sailing during that time period; I would love to tag along!

Currently, I am the only one interested in sailing. I have never been sailing and recently fell in love with the concept. I have been reading and watching videos; essentially absorbing everything to do with sailing.

I would really like to experience sailing and acquire some hands on learning. If anyone needs an extra hand, I would love to volunteer.

Thanks again for your time;

IDK Sailing.....yet!

Just to clarify and add a little background. I live in North East Texas and my family and I will be on holiday in Florida during those dates. We live far from the coast, so where we live the sailing community is essentially non-existent.

I have been married for 20 years; we are getting my oldest ready for college....so buying a sailboat is low on our priority list. My youngest is still in middle school.

I love the outdoors and being on the water, we are avid fisherman. Something about sailing immediately appealed to me.....I cannot explain it.

My wife thinks that I am having a mid-life crisis.....LOL! Her logic resembles the following, "I never pictured you sailing......I would categorize you sailing on the same level as you picking up Polo as a sport. Try to go sailing first and see if you like it. You would not go and buy a horse, if you wanted to take up horseback riding, would you? You would first go and ride a horse". I cannot argue with that reasoning.....I wish I could, but ....after 20 years of marriage, you learn the path of least resistance.

So.....this leads me to next step in my journey to find and fulfill my urge to sail. Yes, I could go and rent a sail boat, but that would be the equivalence of having a toddler drive or rent a car.

I would love to find someone that is doing a day trip and would not mind the extra help and teach some fundamentals of sailing. I like the hard work and the challenge. When I first inquired about sailing, after 5 minutes, it just clicked with me. I took to it like a duck to water. It is hard for me to explain it to my family, they just give me that ..... crazy stare (LOL).

If nothing else, I can come by and introduce myself to “live aboards” and you guys can walk me through the basics of your boat.

Thank you

IDK Sailing
idk sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:17   #2

Boat: 1972 Gulfstar 36' Motorsailer
Re: Destin, FL - August 2016

The first time you ask "Permission to come aboard?" you will be hooked! There is a very good chance we will be in that area in August. My husband and I are getting ready to throw the dock lines...again and are heading to the Florida Panhandle. Here's something to think about: I recently took an ASA water sailing">Blue Water Sailing Course. I received 3 certifications during that 6 day trip. We sailed from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to the Keys. All hands on the entire time. That would certainly help you determine if sailing is for you :-)
We live aboard a 1972 Gulfstar 36 Center Cockpit Motorsailor, two cabins. We rebuilt it ourselves.
Keep in touch and we will be happy to meet up with you while in Florida, weather permitting!
Jeraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 21:35   #3

Thank you so much for your reply. ASA courses are a great idea. I looked online and I think there is one close to Dallas, I will definitely look into their courses.

Thank you so much for your generosity, and I hope you guys are safe and have a wonderful trip.

Is it mandatory to have ASA classes etc.? I want to take the classes just for my own curiosity and to help me learn, I was just curious if it helped with insurance.

Sorry for all the questions, I am very new to everything.

Regards

IDK Sailing
Old 21-05-2016, 08:58   #4

IDK, I believe it would depend on the insurance company. I was required to submit a sailing resume with sailing certifications and was offered a discount. According to our agent, insurance companies prefer covering experienced sailors but not required.
I do recommend a sailing class of some sort. Check to see if there are any local sailing clubs in your area. As a former member of a sailing club and sailing in regattas, many look for crew and with no experience required. If your interested in learning to sail, jump right in and start racing :-)
Old 23-05-2016, 21:19   #5

I just looked at all the ASA classes.....I am so excited! I have to admit, its a little overwhelming.

Thanks for all the information on the insurance!
Old 23-05-2016, 21:21   #6

I cannot find any sailing / yacht clubs in my area......?
Old 24-05-2016, 07:02   #7

Too bad about no sailing clubs in your area. When we lived in NM, we had to drive 2-1/2 hours to the lake to sail/race on weekends. Anyway, ASA does offer multiple levels of sailing courses. If you're feeling overwhelmed, you may want to take the basic keel boat course 101. You will receive a study guide that I recommend studying. As you may already know, sailing speaks a different language...lol. (that's not called a thingy, it's called a turnbuckle)!!! Haha!

If you really want to get over-the-top excited about sailing, watch S/V Delos videos on YouTube. Try to find their first videos early on.
Old 24-05-2016, 21:24   #8

Thank you for the suggestion! Oh wow! I love their videos! """"Subscribed""" That is a great channel.....I am watching them all! Thanks again!
Old 25-05-2016, 04:51   #9

Keep in touch and will let you know our location in August. We are currently living aboard in Northern AL. Our journey will begin motoring down the Tombigbee...

Welcome to the CF and to the world of sailing! Glad to have you aboard!
Old 25-05-2016, 05:13   #10

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

There are a number of places in the Tampa area where you can rent a sailboat and get lessons. There is a place just South of Clearwater beach ( think is is the clearwater sailing club ) and a number of places in St Pete too.

Delos gets so many hooked on the videos, good folks too.

Check out some of the others too like untie the lines and never monday. More good youtubers to watch.

Where in TX? There are so many lakes where one could splash a daysailer. I had a Holder 14 I sailed in so many lakes down there, it was a great boat and I can think of several sailing and racing clubs in the DFW area that are nice.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 05:41   #11

Thank you to everyone! CF has been a wonderful place to meet such great sailors.

Jeraden I will keep in touch. I hope you guys have wonderful weather and great sailing. Safe journey!

Ramblingman thank you for your suggestions on different channels; I will definitely check them out.
The closest lake to me is Lake of the Pines and I am looking to get a day launcher to start sailing.

I did some research and followed Jeraden's advice and found a local yacht club. So I will be looking for small sailboat.
Old 26-05-2016, 15:52   #12

Very cool! I wish you luck and will be in touch :-) If you have more questions, just ask!!!
Old 26-05-2016, 16:47   #13

Very cool! I wish you luck and will be in touch :-) If you have more questions, just ask!!!