Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 12:21   #1

"Czesc" from Warsaw, Poland

Ahoy Sailors,

I've been perusing Cruisers Forum for some time and today I finally "took the plunge" and registered. My wife and I have somewhat limited sailing experience. I owned a Hobie Holder 14 sailing "dink" and she attended a 2 week sailing camp one summer. Together, we crewed on a Pearson Vanguard 33 about once a week for a year (in Florida). The owner was a very experienced sailor and an excellent instructor. We learned a lot from him and are forever in his dept.

We are now ready to buy a boat of our own and set off cruising as quickly as possible. We really like the aluminum-hull, shallow draft centerboard boats like the Ovni's. We think they are perfect for what we have in mind but are not sure if our budget will permit.... Would consider a steel centerboarder also, in the 32'-42' range. A full-keeled aluminum or steel boat might do if we can't find a centerboard boat in our price range. In fiberglass, we really like the Alajuela 38 Mark 2 even though the draft is almost 6'. Features in order of importance: bulletproof hull/seaworthiness, sailing ability, ease of maintenance, price.

I lived in Alaska for 10 years, owned a "bush plane" and spent a lot of time exploring the back-country. More recently, I spent 5 riding seasons exploring Europe on a motorcycle, visiting 31 countries, riding across Russia to Ulan Ude where I made a right turn and rode south to Ulaanbaataar (capitol of Mongolia). Made a circuit of the Mongolian back country before retracing my course, back across Russia, racing the impending winter, to Poland. In Poland, I repaired my motorcycle (it was in pretty bad shape) and met the woman who was to become my wife. I got rid of some "stuff" and made room for a passenger and together we explored Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Republic of Georgia and Armenia. We suffered break-downs, near-misses and much discomfort. We had a WONDERFUL adventure. I had definitely found the right woman!!!! While we don't have "heaps" of cruising experience, we hope that our other travel/adventure/flying experiences will help us stay out of trouble as we gain that valuable maritime experience. That's one reason we're here: to learn as much as we can from the (much) more experienced sailors who post on this forum.

We are currently in Europe but plan to return to the U.S.A. in the fall. If any of you out there are aware of a "great deal" on a cruising boat (as described above) here in Europe or in the U.S.A. (or "wherever" if it's a REALLY great deal), please let us know.

Lastly, a BIG "Thank You!!!!" to whoever is responsible for creating and maintaining this website. It is a HUGELY valuable asset to people like myself.

Cheers,
Steve (and Justyna)
Sharkbait Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: "Czesc" from Warsaw, Poland

Welcome to CF Steve and Justyna

Did you have a budget in mind?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How about this complete with lifting keel and in Europe:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...nced%20listing

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ali.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	195645  
Old 10-07-2019, 01:30   #4

Hello Pete7,

Thanks for the reply. The Joubert 13m aluminum hull centerboarder is EXACTLY the type of boat we have in mind. This one is a beauty. Budget-wise, we're hoping to find a boat and outfit it for cruising for $50K U.S. or less. I know that's not a huge amount of money and we might have to compromise on our choice of boats.... We don't mind a boat that requires some work (but not a multi-year project).
Sharkbait Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:55   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's a 1997 boat and has been sat on the market for some time, I have been watching it but sadly too big for us due to the cost of moorings in the Solent.

We are mid season in Europe so if it doesn't sell in the next couple of months the owners are going to be looking at another lot of winter storage costs.

You could try a cheeky offer and if its rejected (likely) leave the offer on the table. Stranger things have happened. Note it does say: "Offers on the asking price may be considered". and the photos at the linked Boatshed website suggest some minor work.

Pete
Old 10-07-2019, 02:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve & Justyna.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Poland