Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2003, 09:19   #1

Cruising/Delivery from Ft. Lauderdale to Lake Michigan

Quick Background: I purchased a 48' Jeanneau Trinidad about a year ago with hopes of establishing a sailing/diving charter business out South Florida. I live up North in Wisconsin and unfortunately, did not get down to Florida as often as I planned. I hoped to run at least one charter per month, especially during the winter months. But I got busier than planned with work up north and only ran about half as many trips. Had an anti-siphon valve go bad and ended up totally rebuilding my Perkins 4-236 in the salon. I had her up for sale since Feb. 1, but big boats don't seem to sell well with a war going on in a sagging economy. I decided to give it a little time and then sail her up to Lake Michigan if she didn't sell by May 1.

Well the time has come and I'm ready to head North. I'm interested in any practical knowledge anyone could share other than the basic info contained in the cruising guides (which I have already purchased). I am planning on taking the outside passage up to New York Harbor (weather permitting, of course). Then up the Hudson to Troy and thru the Erie Canal to Lake Erie. I will have 3 or 4 crew members for most of the trip and would like to make the trip in as little time as possible. I've been told it can be done in as little as 3-4 weeks.

Any suggestions on routing, good marinas and where to have the mast lowered in Troy and raised in Lake Erie? Etc. etc. ...

I apologize for the long post. Thanks.

Cruise Diver
4/22
Cruise Diver is offline   Reply With Quote