Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 17:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 38
Cruising

Hello: We are Tom and Linda from Cape Coral, FL. We own a 38 Beneteau Idylle sailboat named Linda Lou II and are looking for other boats that may be interested in sailling to the Bahamas this Winter/Spring 2013. We are in our early 50's and we are somewhat new to sailing but have been boating for years. Our interests include fishing, reading, sailing, tinkering and relaxing. We also like to party (not while sailing). Please contact us via email at LinRit@yahoo.com if you are interested in a trip to the Bahamas.
LinRit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 03:38   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Cruising

Welcome aboard, Tom and Linda! We loved the Bahamas so much we did it twice! Have a great trip...and don't miss the Exumas.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom and Linda.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 06:17   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Hang around Miami in late December or early January and you will meet tons of boats waiting for a window to cross.
Old 27-05-2012, 16:11   #5

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

Welcome aboard Tom & Linda! My wife & I are long time boaters but first time sail boaters. We just purchased the boat in Key Largo and will move it this winter. Bahamas sound good but the first time I'm thinking about powering it over. Good luck
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 16:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey2 View Post
. Bahamas sound good but the first time I'm thinking about powering it over. Good luck
Some folks wait for the right sailing weather but most go when the conditions are right, motor, motor-sail, sail, it doesn't matter . Just get across safely.
Old 17-06-2012, 00:08   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 17-06-2012, 06:09   #8

Boat: Irwin 42

Hi Tom & linda,
Where in the Bahamas do you plan on going? We are going to Abaco in the early spring (2013). We are in Fort lauderdale right now refitting our boat.
Old 17-06-2012, 15:00   #9

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Hi all,
I was looking at the L & A forum and found the following post re: check in to Bahamas.
quote from osiris @ L&A forum:

What I have always done is to sail from Miami to Gun Cay via the Explorer Charts wpt Triangle Rocks. I can do that in a daylight sail leaving at dawn and arriving on the banks in the afternoon. Then anchor behind Gun Cay for a rest or just press on using the Explorer Charts route to NW Channel Light and anchor there about 1.5 to 2nm south of the light. Then next morning just before dawn head on to Nassau and check in there. Nassau gives the full 6 months and the officials come to your marina. I use the Harbor Club marina at the eastern end of the harbor. They have reasonable rates and right across the street from a shopping center. I use the marina as the officials will come right to your boat to do the paperwork and while waiting I use the water to wash the boat, myself, and fill the tanks. I also top up the diesel as fuel prices escalate as you head south.
I can make Miami to Nassau in about 30 hours with only one stop at NW Channel Lite for some sleep. The reason for the stop is to plan your arrival in Nassau for early afternoon after the previous batch of boats have vacated the marina slips.
After Nassau you can head south to the Exumas or east or north to which ever areas interest you all in day sails. Stopping at Bimini or Cat Cay is both expensive and you may not get the full 6 months at the discretion of the local officials. There are officials also in Chub Cay and Morgans Bluff but they also can be uppity about giving you the full time. Nassau is a sure thing.
end-quote

This was posted in 2008. Can anyone tell me if this was/is valid info and/or opinions on the matter. Do I really have to check in at Nassau to insure getting a six month permit?

cheers,
mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 05:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomuffins View Post
This was posted in 2008. Can anyone tell me if this was/is valid info and/or opinions on the matter. Do I really have to check in at Nassau to insure getting a six month permit?

cheers,
mm
From south Florida (Miami or Ftl Lauderdale) the best route is to get on the Bank at North Rock (just north of Bimini), head across the Bank to NW Channel Light and then through the Tongue of the Ocean to Nassau, about 30 hours at 6 knots. If the weather does not cooperate when you get to the Tongue you can hide behind Frazers Hog Cay (same island as Chubb) until it becomes favourable.This is the route we take.

Gun Cay is expensive, stopping in Bimini many times results in being stuck there for a few days as the cold front gets ahead of you and the wind goes east. Chubb Cay costs an arm and a leg. These are some of the reasons we shoot directly for Nassau.

Last year the Bahamian Govt. stopped using both Customs personnel and Immigration personnel to clear in cruisers. Now a single Officer does the job, might be a Customs officer or an Immigration officer. Very few now have the authority to allow 6 month stays. Usually you get two or three months, some cruisers have even got one month! This can be renewed near the end of the term but it is a bit of an inconvenience as, if you're doing the Exumas the only place to get it renewed is Georgetown.

The cruising community spoke to the authorities last year and the politicians were looking at this but don't expect any quick changes.
Old 20-06-2012, 07:46   #11

Thanks for the info...

"Last year the Bahamian Govt. stopped using both Customs personnel and Immigration personnel to clear in cruisers. Now a single Officer does the job, might be a Customs officer or an Immigration officer. Very few now have the authority to allow 6 month stays. "

So it's just a crap shoot as to how long you can permit?
1mo, 2mo, 6??

mm
Old 22-06-2012, 11:47   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the info...

"Last year the Bahamian Govt. stopped using both Customs personnel and Immigration personnel to clear in cruisers. Now a single Officer does the job, might be a Customs officer or an Immigration officer. Very few now have the authority to allow 6 month stays. "

So it's just a crap shoot as to how long you can permit?
1mo, 2mo, 6??

mm
Yes, that's about it. In Nassau we have got 3 months the last few trips. But it is renewable, just an inconvenience.
Old 22-06-2012, 11:56   #13

Thanks Vasco,

Another, probably dumb, question:

Is the length of permit associated with previous visits or length of previous visits?

mm
Old 22-06-2012, 12:01   #14

Quote:
Thanks Vasco,

Another, probably dumb, question:

Is the length of permit associated with previous visits or length of previous visits?

mm
No, on entry it's all the official is permitted to allow, in most cases up to three months. I have heard of cruisers getting only one month!! Must have annoyed the official.
Old 22-06-2012, 12:04   #15

Thanks again,

I will be very nice when checking in

mm

Tags
cruising