Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 23:43   #1

Cowboy Going Sailing

Hello to all,
I may be the oddest case in this forum. Yes, I am a former working cowboy. I've owned a couple power boats (the biggest was a 21' Sea Ray) and I learned to windsurf at camp, when I was a kid. I've always loved everything I knew (which may not be much) about sailing and I've always wanted to sail. However, most people I know don't dig boats, especially ones that won't pull a skier.
Now, I'm older and I don't care as much, as to what people think. I really want to sail and possibly get my own boat. I have a million questions (where to start, lessons, what boat, etc) but I'm sure a quick search will get me some answers. I can't be the most sail-ignorant person to ever join this forum. My "ideal" dream is to get the biggest boat I can trailer and launch from various points in the Puget Sound and explore with my wife and boys.
I'm looking forward to chatting and sponging as much info as possible.
Rob
Cowchip500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 23:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Hey Rob...welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you've got a great plan.
I'm think-in that these days you'll have a lot of choices for boats.
Happy hunting and keep us posted.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 02:40   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Trailer/launch is a significant constraint on the design and size of the vessel. However, there are a number that now meet this requirement, and are normally equipped with large outboards. This does enable them to travel at quite some speed under power, but naturally impacts the sailing performance. There are also other drawbacks, as a boat light enough to be trailered is at most going to be 26ft, and is also going to be somewhat tender (i.e. will roll at the slightest ripple). They are also not the sort of boat I would want to be on in bad weather!

Nevertheless, they do fill an important niche in boat requirements, and have introduced a lot of people to messing about in boats. If this sort of compromise is what you want, then at least there is a selection to chose from.
Old 27-11-2009, 11:20   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rob,
Welcome aboard!. My advice is to take a basic sailing class if you can find one in your area cheap. It'll give you some idea of what to look for in a boat and loads of information on how to sail.
regards,
Old 27-11-2009, 11:34   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard...Great plan!....Slip fees are the biggest negative with owing any boat in my opinion..bottom maintenance and electrolysis come in close second...virtually all three are non issues with a tailorable...The biggest positive is it can be 10 steps out your front door in your driveway to work on it if you need it be.

You will find it to be all the boat The PNW really needs.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 11:41   #6

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
I met a guy from Montana, or Nebraska, who trailered a Tartan 30 with a F450. It was a sweet setup and a really nice boat. The centreboard makes it possible. Taking it home means that he worked on it all winter and it was in great shape.

My advice would be to buy a boat and go for it. Most of this stuff is common sense and cowboys have lots of that don't they?

An old fisherman told my wife that you need to know two things:
1. You can get used to anything.
2. Don't hit anything too hard (or as I read the other day don't approach any dock faster than you are prepared to hit it.)

Good luck, Charlie
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 13:32   #7

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Cowchip --good luck with your sailing plan. We have a 31' water-ballasted trailer sailboat. Had to build it myself, though, to get the boat I wanted. . . . But we've cruised all over the east coast from Maine to the Chesapeake. Having a trailer boat allows you to explore more areas than you might if you are restricted by time to waters near a particular marina. We're heading for the Bahamas next Feb.

You should also read the Trailer Sailor Forum. I read both that and this forum almost daily.
Trailer Sailor Discussion Forum - Message Index

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cormorant_on_trailer.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	11365  
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 17:29   #8

Thanx all for the welcome and good info. I'm finding that the more I know, the more I realize I need to learn. I think lessons will be money well-spent.
Cowchip500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 18:35   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowchip500 View Post
Thanx all for the welcome and good info. I'm finding that the more I know, the more I realize I need to learn. I think lessons will be money well-spent.
Welcome.
This is a great place for help of all kinds.
My first sail boat was a Snark.
My second was a Westerly Nimrod - 18ft with a little cabin that slept 2 and had a head. Lots of good times with that boat weekending.
There are lots of trailerable boats out there now.
My choice now would be one of the tri's like a Telstar.
I test sailed one in the 80's but just didn't have the $.
Best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 02:40   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowchip500 View Post
Wise words indeed.

The first lesson has obviously already been learnt!
Old 29-11-2009, 06:36   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
take a look at the Hake 26 built in Florida.

Old 29-11-2009, 07:03   #12

Boat: Watkins 27
Welcome,

I spent 40 years horseback working on ranches from Texas to Montana. Came back to Texas from 20 years in Montana in late 07 and in Feb. 08 bought me a sailboat and love it. I even take my retired, 17 year old cowdog with me sailing. Heck of a hand but not a very good crew member. He keep waiting for the galley to open.

I didn't take lessons, but sometime wish I had. I meet a guy that is my mentor. He spent the time to help me get the basics down and now its just getting out there and learning.

By the way I had never been on any kind of boat before I purchased ours.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 10:00   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Howdy from Brier, WA

As ya can see your not the only ranch hand that's turned to boats. My father, born and raise on a cattle ranch in Montana turned to the sea as a Merchant Marine during WWII.

Even myself raised on a horse ranch, went in the Navy and never turned back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRH Sr1919.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	11375