Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2015, 06:04   #1

Couple from Holland

Hi, there, we (Conny and Johnny) are a couple from Holland, we are in our late 40's and we are for the nearby future planning to go sailing on a regular bases.

The first week of may we are sailing with the kids near Croatie on a 40ft rental boat.

Plans for September are to go sailing for 4 weeks nearby vancouver Canada.

Must say we find it a hard time to find a good deal on a long term bareboat charter in that area.

As we are flexible any suggestions of you sailers will be more then welcome, as we just came back from Aruba and the wife is into nature watching the plan formed to go check out Canada this time.
For me (Johnny) i still think the BVI could be fun as well, also regarding the nature, but nothing in compare to Canada i must agree.

If there is anyone out here with good information regarding long term charters, please be free to contact us.
For now, hello again and nice to be here among sailers.

Johnny and Conny

Old 12-01-2015, 06:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Couple from Holland

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Johnny & Connie.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Welkom Conny and Johnnie,

Sorry I can't help with information about sailboat charter deals in Canada but I agree that there will be a lot of wildlife and nature to view in Vancouver. On the other hand, BVI will be warm and sunny and you can swim in the water. Canada you could swim but would need a wet suit so you won't freeze. Ocean water temps in September typically 10-15 C.

Another thing to plan for Vancouver. It can be very, very rainy. Weather is very much like Ireland or UK. June, July and August are the best time to visit . September could be OK but that is the beginning of the rainy season.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:33   #4

Thnx Skipmac, i was told the water due to the current is warmer in the sounds area north east of vancouver area, but then again, never bin there so can't tell yet.
We are not into high price $$$ touristic places to hang around, the idee is to sail alot, motor as few as possible, anker in bays, just get into the live (poor) aboard life with an occacional starbucks coffee and restaurant but traveling and living at low costs is the idee.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Living on board on a small budget is my plan as well. Spend most of my time anchored out and limit visits to the big, expensive cities.

There is one difference. You want to come to America to sail but I want to sail to Europe. I guess it is like an old saying in English, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence or as I modified that saying, the water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Sorry my knowledge of the Pacific northwest is limited but there are plenty of members on the forum in that area that can give you a lot of first hand information.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02   #6

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum Johnny and Conny!

Skipmac mentioned the difference in weather and water temps between the two cruising destinations.

What is considered "warm" or "cold" can be relative. One of the coldest days of my life was spent walking for hours by the frozen canals of Den Hague in December. Brrrrrrr!

The water in the Northern Pacific seems cold to me, but spending time sailing in <50*f water is fine if you have a nice dry warm berth, warm clothing, and warm drinks (coffee, tea, etc.).

But, I wonder about the wind in that area in the summer. I seem to recall someone on this forum mentioning typically light winds (and lots of motor sailing) during the summer. So I would check on that with the local sailors.

In the Pacific North West, pack a rain suit and tall rubber boots, because of the rain, mist, and chilly (cold) water.

In the Caribbean, pack a swimsuit, sandals, and sunscreen.

Hmmmm….Tough choice.

I would enjoy either and hope you have a great trip!

My Suggestion: Consider a trip to Alaska. It is WILD and there is wildlife about every where you look. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 13:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Welcome aboard. Since your plans are to come and spend time in my back yard I decided to chime in. Coastal cruising is great for scenic and wildlife as well as awesome fishing, however sailing is usually more motoring than sailing. I spent most of May through September in the areas you mentioned. There are so many nice places to visit that after 8 years of doing this I still have a lot to explore. Usually put on 2000 nautical miles or more each year. I hope you have a lot of time.
Old 12-01-2015, 21:54   #8

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

You may want to look at Bellinghan, WA which is about 50 miles south of Vancouver in the USA. Several charter companies there.
http://www.sanjuansailing.com/

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-01-2015, 10:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The closest to the area you wish to cruise in is probably these guys: Desolation Sound Yacht Charters
Old 14-01-2015, 11:10   #10

Boat: Oyster 53

As a sailor who lives in the Pacific Northwest I may be biased but it is a truly fantastic and limitless cruising ground. Actually, I'm not from here so I guess I am not biased...

One offbeat idea for you: on our last sailing trip to Victoria, BC (two weeks ago), we met a very nice Dutch couple (Martin and Anna-Maria) with two young children living on their sailboat in the harbor there. The name of the boat is Pinta and they sailed to Victoria from Utrecht via the Chilean canals over a three year period. They had two children along the way - so it was a pretty eventful trip. They plan to spend the winter in Victoria (and maybe longer) as there is strangely enough quite a large Dutch community there.

I would suggest you try and contact them. Tell them Derek and Ariel from the Oyster 53 sent you. Unfortunately, I do not have their contact info but you might be able to reach them with a Google search or speaking with Victoria Harbour Authority directly. They will be able to give you a lot of information.

Good luck.

Dhillen

Tags
Holland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: