Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-11-2012, 09:11   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Comic artist needs infos for comic book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NComics View Post
Sorry, there won't be any semi-naked women on the deck or anything else Hollywood like (I'm not a great fan of movies that focus everything on pretty girls and explosions.. not that I don't like pretty girls, I just don't like that kind of movies, ahaha).
Sex and Violence sells. Just ask Shakespeare .

Quote:
Whenever I'll have some artwork to show, I'll be happy to post something here.
Please do - even if only just enough to give a flavour of the style. FWIW, I am not into Comic Books, although I do appreciate that they can be more than simply cartoons. However I do like the style of Japanese Anime (and Hentai? ).

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sex and Violence sells. Just ask Shakespeare .
Yeah, true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Please do - even if only just enough to give a flavour of the style. FWIW, I am not into Comic Books, although I do appreciate that they can be more than simply cartoons. However I do like the style of Japanese Anime (and Hentai? ).
LOL Comics are very different from cartoons. Many people think they're just kids' stuff, but that's not true at all. Just think about Frank Miller's 'Sin City', Alan Moore's 'Watchmen' or simply just think about 'The Walking Dead', that before becoming a TV series, it was and still is a comic book and not really intended for a young audience, heh.

NComics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

"The Floating Dead"?

You're welcome.
Old 03-11-2012, 13:49   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Well! Good luck on this one.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The ocean is almost never flat. Even with zero wind for long periods like the doldrums, there are swells generated elsewhere that keep the surface in constant motion. If the wind is blowing, shorter period waves are added to the long period swells and from a different direction. A boat just sitting there would be in constant motion and rolling in all directions as the boat's heading changes. A sea anchor would help to keep the boat headed in one direction and make the motion somewhat predictable. Still it would be a miserable existence. The sails on a sailboat steady boat. With a self steering vane and a minimal sail area, the boat can be set up to head in a direction at slow speed that will greatly reduce the motion. Heading into the wind and waves is always going to be miserable unless you are into self flagellation. Crack off a bit and motion of boat becomes way more bearable. Wind and sea conditions are constantly changing so you have to adapt to what the ocean gives you.

Thinking about what your scenario is, a catamaran might be what you are looking for. Large deck area to give crew a bit of space, separate cabins for privacy, lots of area for solar panels, and they are capable of quite high speeds in the right conditions (20kplus) under sail.

If you have been following what's gone in the aftermath Sandy, you've seen how quickly gasoline and diesel disappears even in a regional disruption of supply. If you are talking a global catastrophe, fuel supply would be exhausted in days and no replenishment possible. To me that would make a power boat useless for what you propose.

You might want to cultivate some friends with boats and get out on the ocean to see what it's like.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:26   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just looks up threads on this forum regarding anchors or mono-vs-catamarans.... it's very comical!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NComics View Post
Also, what David said about the Hollywood flicks, is right; in the end, even if your story has some incongruent things here and there, the important is to create the 'illusion' that things can work...
The willing suspension of disbelief is a part of every fictional story. In the first few chapters (minutes, whatever) the author sets up the rules of their fictional universe. As the reader I suspend my disbelief, and accept the setup. After that I expect everything to be consistent and believable, given what I have already accepted.

What annoys the heck out of me--and I mention it because, please don't do this!--is when I get well into the story and the author tosses out something new that I have to suspend my disbelief for (at this point I'm a little less willing). And if the author is that sloppy then probably a bit further on there will be yet MORE that I have to suspend disbelief for. And if it keeps happening then pretty soon I will put down the book, walk out of the movie, give up on the story, because now the author is just being lazy.
Old 05-11-2012, 15:43   #23

Quote:
"The Floating Dead"?
Hah, not really. There will be no zombies in this book.

Quote:
The ocean is almost never flat. Even with zero wind for long periods like the doldrums, there are swells generated elsewhere that keep the surface in constant motion. If the wind is blowing, shorter period waves are added to the long period swells and from a different direction. A boat just sitting there would be in constant motion and rolling in all directions as the boat's heading changes. A sea anchor would help to keep the boat headed in one direction and make the motion somewhat predictable. Still it would be a miserable existence. The sails on a sailboat steady boat. With a self steering vane and a minimal sail area, the boat can be set up to head in a direction at slow speed that will greatly reduce the motion. Heading into the wind and waves is always going to be miserable unless you are into self flagellation. Crack off a bit and motion of boat becomes way more bearable. Wind and sea conditions are constantly changing so you have to adapt to what the ocean gives you.
This sounds very interesting, and could probably resolve the problem. I will need to know what the set up of a self steering vane is, so when the time to illustrate it, I'll hopefully make it right. But before this, do you think that in this way the sails and everything that keep it in position will deteriorate faster or that will just take a small part of the sails instead?

Quote:
Thinking about what your scenario is, a catamaran might be what you are looking for. Large deck area to give crew a bit of space, separate cabins for privacy, lots of area for solar panels, and they are capable of quite high speeds in the right conditions (20kplus) under sail.
Another great idea! I never took in consideration the idea of a catamaran before, and everything you said makes a lot of sense. You have a specific model in mind? They are probably a lot expensive anyway, but I'd prefer to use a not so luxurious one, but one that stands in the middle or lower, but that still has what they need in this situation.
Also, sorry for the ignorance, a catamaran has just sails or it also has motors?

Quote:
If you have been following what's gone in the aftermath Sandy, you've seen how quickly gasoline and diesel disappears even in a regional disruption of supply. If you are talking a global catastrophe, fuel supply would be exhausted in days and no replenishment possible. To me that would make a power boat useless for what you propose.
That's true. Anyway, the only chance these guys had to gather as much fuel as possible, was very likely just before to leave for their never ending cruise (the gas inside the boat and inside some tanks), but the new world that they will find really doesn't have anything to do with the waterworld these guys live in. Just nevermind this point and just think that this new world stands for its own and it has gas in it. Let's think about them as 2 separate worlds -- one under water and one 'normal' where we can find gas more easily. So when they will arrive to this new place, they won't have much problems to get the gas to try to power the boat and ran away.
Old 05-11-2012, 16:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The willing suspension of disbelief is a part of every fictional story. In the first few chapters (minutes, whatever) the author sets up the rules of their fictional universe. As the reader I suspend my disbelief, and accept the setup. After that I expect everything to be consistent and believable, given what I have already accepted.

What annoys the heck out of me--and I mention it because, please don't do this!--is when I get well into the story and the author tosses out something new that I have to suspend my disbelief for (at this point I'm a little less willing). And if the author is that sloppy then probably a bit further on there will be yet MORE that I have to suspend disbelief for. And if it keeps happening then pretty soon I will put down the book, walk out of the movie, give up on the story, because now the author is just being lazy.
Very true. In movies for example, to make a good screenplay (that is the structure of the story), the first 10 pages (10 minutes of the movie) are crucial for the success of the final product. In these 10 minutes, the writer should establish the characters, set the story up, establish the purpose of the movie and in general, the whole atmosphere. That is because in those 10 minutes, people will be able to decide whether they like that movie or not.
So yeah, if the story works, and is consistent and it's a good one, you'll hopefully get what you expect or anyway you won't have some big bad green aliens coming on Earth in the second part of the movie, killing everybody who is human, while the first part of it was about a guy trying to hook up with a girl.

I'll try to establish the most I can in the first pages, but I'm about sure that the whole waterworld scene itself won't last many pages; I'll cut if off and 'sum it up' right cause of this narrative structure. As I said the sea life won't be the protagonist of the story, so what I really don't want is to make believe that people are reading a comic about sea adventures and then 'delude' them, telling about something completely different.

And again, I want to gather as much material and infos I can about this short paragraph just because I'd like to do things as realistic as possible, creating something that may actually happen for real if well equipped with the right things.. and a bit of luck too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: