Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 14:00   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Come with me if you want to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonriser View Post
Hello there,

Thanks for reading my first post, hopefully you'll be reading a lot from me. I have a bit of an audacious goal and hope you'll come along as I pursue it over the course of the next few years. I'll post updates on how it's coming and talk strategy and planning as well.

You see I have recently fallen in love with a wonderful girl, who, like me, loves adventure. We're both moderately experienced sailors. I grew up sailing on a beautiful large lake in the Adirondacks and have been a windsurfer all my life, while she has sailed around the Maine coast for years.

Early on in our dating we both confessed a desire to pull up stakes and take off for parts unknown. We discussed each of our ideas (she fantasized about driving off in a silver Airstream, I confessed my dreams of a man-powered circumnavigation), but in the end we decided the cheapest and most realistic one was to sail around the world.

Neither of us make much money (though we both work full time), but we were able to purchase a 28' ODay last month for $4,500. We'll be sailing her back to Maine where we live next weekend — fingers crossed for good weather. After that we'll start a strict savings regiment, hopefully socking away $1,000 per month for two years while we plan, outfit the boat and work on our sailing skills. After that we'll take off for a three-year circumnavigation by the southern route leaving Maine in October 2015.

So what do you think? Interested in hearing about it?

No. I couldn't stand it. I'LL BE TOO JEALOUS!!!!

Yeah -- bring it on and tons of luck to both of you!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 14:28   #17

Boat: ODay 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If by 'Southern Route' you mean the Capes.... buy a better boat.
Cape of Good Hope and Panama Canal actually and to quote Donald Rumsfeld — "You go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish to have"
Moonriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 14:31   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Terra Del Fuego, or bust! Now, that's a challenge!

Mauritz
Old 31-07-2013, 14:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Come with me if you want to live

Quote:
Cape of Good Hope and Panama Canal actually and to quote Donald Rumsfeld — "You go to war with the army you have, not the one you wish to have"
Yeah.... and look what happened...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:15   #20

Quote:
Yeah.... and look what happened...
Are you suggesting that my "war" is going to take far longer, cost much more and result in greater pain than I initially think?
Old 31-07-2013, 15:22   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you suggesting that my "war" is going to take far longer, cost much more and result in greater pain than I initially think?
Nope... just think your buying a UK Land Rover to deal with IED's...as many Brit soldiers in Afghanistan discovered... they're crap for the job...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 31-07-2013, 15:26   #22

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step." Of course a circumnavigation is more than a thousand miles, but I guess that means there's just a few more steps. You've got a dream, and a plan, and a willing partner. That's some major, major steps already. Don't stop!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 15:37   #23

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Moon, many would say that your boat may not be up to the task you have planned. In reality it is usually the people who are not up to the task. Many boats go on floating after the people have been picked from them. That being said, you should sail that o'day in some challenging conditions before you set off. It is not the ideal boat and certainly not a boat I and many others would consider for this endeavor. An o'day 28 was not designed or built to sail in open ocean conditions. Many here will argue that it can be done which is true but you will not have a safe vessel if the weather ***** hits the fan when you are in the middle of an ocean. This is in no way a criticism of your choice but more of a warning for your safety.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 16:42   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Hey Terminator, did you finally decide to marry Sarah Conner? Awesome, I'm happy for you.

First, like Boatman said you probably need a different boat. Second, lake sailing teaches you how to sail, but the ocean and bays are way different.

I've never been seasick on a lake or upper bay. Folks here in the Northern Chesapeake believe they are set for ocean cruising, but it's damn near a lake up there. When I first sailed my boat across the lower Chesapeake/Atlantic Ocean the motion is way different. It's even different from the Gulf off Florida. (but I was on a catamaran then and low to the water and going very fast) These old monohulls are way slow, and the motion takes a while to get used to for some.

Have you ever anchored and then jumped in for a swim? It's nice right? Well, don't do that in some places because you will never get back to the boat. Bad example I know but a start.

Be careful with the cheerleaders on this forum also. While they cheer you on, it's only you out there. Many of these folks are tied to the dock and only sail out a few miles every now and then on a perfect day.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 16:53   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Moon, many would say that your boat may not be up to the task you have planned. In reality it is usually the people who are not up to the task. Many boats go on floating after the people have been picked from them. That being said, you should sail that o'day in some challenging conditions before you set off. It is not the ideal boat and certainly not a boat I and many others would consider for this endeavor. An o'day 28 was not designed or built to sail in open ocean conditions. Many here will argue that it can be done which is true but you will not have a safe vessel if the weather ***** hits the fan when you are in the middle of an ocean. This is in no way a criticism of your choice but more of a warning for your safety.

Take good care of it, keep it fixed up and looking spiffy, and if you find you need to sell it in a couple of years for a different boat to meet your dreams, kiss it good bye and wish it well.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:22   #26

But then again, dreams huh?...................humm.

You folks sound young.

My son got an academic scholarship to any school in Florida a few years ago but didn't want to go. I'm like are you nuts? (I'm east coast born and raised) He's like no. I just don't want that life. Suit, tie, meetings, haircuts, shaving etc.

I'm like how in the hell are going to live then? He says playing music. I'm like what? You know how hard that business is? He's like I don't need to be at the top Dad just able to support myself. I'm an artist. Not a manager, not a technician, not a salesman etc, etc . So we battled for years over this. He damn near has a degree but was never into it. Would have been much better if I'd have let him do his thing from the start

We had several very stressful days at work recently. People totally freaking out. About that time, my son sent me this video. I'm like humm................maybe that isn't a bad way to make a living after all.

He's the guy doing the guitar solo at about 1:55 in...............looks like this is their first set of the day.

Old 31-07-2013, 18:30   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
But then again, dreams huh?...................humm.

You folks sound young.

My son got an academic scholarship to any school in Florida a few years ago but didn't want to go. I'm like are you nuts? (I'm east coast born and raised) He's like no. I just don't want that life. Suit, tie, meetings, haircuts, shaving etc.

I'm like how in the hell are going to live then? He says playing music. I'm like what? You know how hard that business is? He's like I don't need to be at the top Dad just able to support myself. I'm an artist. Not a manager, not a technician, not a saleman etc, etc

We had several very stressful days at work recently. People totally freaking out. About that time, my son sent me this video. I'm like humm................maybe that isn't a bad way to make a living.

He's the guy doing the guitar solo at about 1:55 in...............looks like this is their first set of the day.

Don't it just P u off when your kids make better life choices than you...

Old 31-07-2013, 18:43   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

While many folks have gone around the world in smaller boats, the horn of Africa, is not really the place for an Oday no matter the size. Can it be done yes, if the weather is nice.

Here's a blog of two people very much like yourselfs on a similar vessel, going upwind. Its sad to see, but they survived and I'm sure they will cruise again.

Staring into oblivion | 3knots

With that said, keep to your guns, go and go soon. Perhaps a better boat will turn up in your travels.

BTW the problem with the Oday is the hull and deck are not strong enough to survive a storm, plus a few other niggly little things. Good for coastal cruising though.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:53   #29

Quote:
Don't it just P u off when your kids make better life choices than you...
Well, for once I will not argue with you. You can probably guess what he went through dealing with me on this. And I'm not upset at all. Plus, he's a real musician, not just a guitar player. I couldn't become that if I tried. I'm an engineer/tech type.

But we did have a tough week at work, and I socked away a few more dollars. I also went and looked at several boats this past weekend. Funny thing was none were built as strong as my old Bristol. So, I may load up all my books (or a Kindle) one day and head out too to a different lifestyle.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:12   #30

Hey thanks for all the advise/tips/warnings so far (please keep them coming!) and for the encouragement. We are on the younger side, although maybe not as young as you assume, but we both have experience sailing on the ocean. I grew up on lakes, but have sailed in New England and the Caribbean as an adult. I also lived on an island for several years accessible only by a long ferry ride so I'm quite familiar with sea sickness

We have at least two years with the boat we're planning to use and will take every spare moment to work on our skills and prepare as best we can. As for the suitability of our boat, we'll just have to see how far she can get!