Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 12:43   #1

Boat: ODay 28
Come with Me if You Want to Live

Hello there,

Thanks for reading my first post, hopefully you'll be reading a lot from me. I have a bit of an audacious goal and hope you'll come along as I pursue it over the course of the next few years. I'll post updates on how it's coming and talk strategy and planning as well.

You see I have recently fallen in love with a wonderful girl, who, like me, loves adventure. We're both moderately experienced sailors. I grew up sailing on a beautiful large lake in the Adirondacks and have been a windsurfer all my life, while she has sailed around the Maine coast for years.

Early on in our dating we both confessed a desire to pull up stakes and take off for parts unknown. We discussed each of our ideas (she fantasized about driving off in a silver Airstream, I confessed my dreams of a man-powered circumnavigation), but in the end we decided the cheapest and most realistic one was to sail around the world.

Neither of us make much money (though we both work full time), but we were able to purchase a 28' ODay last month for $4,500. We'll be sailing her back to Maine where we live next weekend — fingers crossed for good weather. After that we'll start a strict savings regiment, hopefully socking away $1,000 per month for two years while we plan, outfit the boat and work on our sailing skills. After that we'll take off for a three-year circumnavigation by the southern route leaving Maine in October 2015.

So what do you think? Interested in hearing about it?
Moonriser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:49   #2

Re: Come with me if you want to live

"...but in the end we decided the cheapest and most realistic one was to sail around the world"

Hmmmmm. Really? I disagree on two points: cheapest and realistic.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
1--go for it

2--don't limit yourself to three years

3--ignore anyone who tells you not to or that you can't (whatever)
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:53   #4

letsgetsailing3,

Perhaps I should have explained that better as "cheapest and most realistic compared to other types of circumnavigation"
Old 31-07-2013, 12:54   #5

Fall 2015 is my tentative leave date too. and I dont have a boat yet so you are ahead of me.

sounds great and your loose plan seems to be pretty good to me. have fun and keep us informed.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sounds like a love nest in the making!
better make sure the gf doesnt get preggy,
otherwise your plan is a non starter
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonriser View Post
letsgetsailing3,

Perhaps I should have explained that better as "cheapest and most realistic compared to other types of circumnavigation"
You might try a less ambitious adventure initially, but I applaud the initiative.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:03   #8

letsgetsailing3,

Oh we'll be taking less ambitious adventures a plenty between now and our leave date. For example we're planning a sail up to the Isle de Madeleine next summer

Thanks for the applause though!
Old 31-07-2013, 13:05   #9

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

So ultimately your plan is to circumnavigate for 3 years on $24k for 2 people. $8k/year or, $667 per month for food, maintenance, insurance(optional), permits, entrance/exit fees, fuel, water, etc.

I applaud your dreams and goals but this may be a little slim on the budget side. You may be better to save another year or two before starting off. It is very easy for teh boat alone to eat up quite a bit of your budget.

I don't want to start a debate on the boat you chose but to cross major oceans you will need to be able to carry a decent amount of food, water and fuel. It will also need to be prepared to handle open ocean conditions.

Either way, welcome to CF and good luck. Where in Maine do you plan to keep the boat? Will you be living aboard during this time?

Definitely interested in following your progress.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:23   #10

Tim,

Thanks for the advise and we're both aware of the tight budget, but that's part of why we want to do it. We'd like to see just how cheaply we can do it while still being realistic. We're also planning to sell a lot of our possessions before leaving and setting that aside as an "emergency fund" in case of disaster.

We'll be mooring her in the midcoast region, but won't move aboard full time until the trip. I'll wave your way when we pass Portland next Sunday
Old 31-07-2013, 13:24   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Fred Flintstones told Wilma that he can be a commercial airline pilot in just three days...the last time I watched him, he was still carving out rocks from Mr. Sleight's quarry! It never hurts to dream!

Mauritz
Laugh and the world will laugh with you...
Old 31-07-2013, 13:28   #12

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonriser View Post
Tim,

Thanks for the advise and we're both aware of the tight budget, but that's part of why we want to do it. We'd like to see just how cheaply we can do it while still being realistic. We're also planning to sell a lot of our possessions before leaving and setting that aside as an "emergency fund" in case of disaster.

We'll be mooring her in the midcoast region, but won't move aboard full time until the trip. I'll wave your way when we pass Portland next Sunday
Ok. Good luck and have fun with the dream. We are doing the same thing but on a slightly different scale(not trying to do it as cheaply as possible). Our goal is to stay out as long as possible. We bought the boat in 2010 and moved aboard. We plan to leave in the next couple of years after saving a set amount , getting to know the boat and upgrading any systems necessary.

Please look us up if you stop in Portland. We are at DiMillos Marina.

One last piece of advice. I would move aboard in the spring of 2015 so you have a chance to get used to living aboard. Many folks abandon their plan because of the sudden change of living aboard a small space.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 13:44   #13

Tim,

Good luck to you and thanks for the advise, we might move in early (depending how we can make it work with full-time jobs). I'll certainly knock on your hull if we make a stop in Portland!
Old 31-07-2013, 13:56   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Welcome to the Forum, Moonriser. Definitely keep us posted on your adventures. Best of luck to you.
Old 31-07-2013, 13:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Come with me if you want to live

If by 'Southern Route' you mean the Capes.... buy a better boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote