Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2009, 09:04   #1
SZW

College Student Looking to Sail to the Caribbean

Hi all,

I'm a college kid, currently in my 3rd year at Georgetown, with absolutely no sailing experience. I've always wanted to sail the Caribbean islands, but my time will be severely limited after I graduate, so this upcoming 3-wk winter break will be one of the few opportunities I have before graduating and starting a job.

So my question is: how should I go about finding a boat to sail on? Being in college, my ability to pay is slightly inadequate (read: broke). However, I am willing to work hard, learn the ropes, and am theoretically inexpensive to have aboard, sans the food I eat.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
SZW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009, 23:47   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Find a marina and put your name on the board. Advertise on craigslist. Put a listing on this forum under crew. Check with local yacht/sailing clubs.
Keep trying til you find the right boat.
regards
Old 16-11-2009, 12:06   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Do check out any potential offers in detail including backgrounds of those making the offer.

Far better to get to know them ahead of time or at least know someone you trust that knows them well.
Old 16-11-2009, 12:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Hi Steve. I am a grad of Georgetown myself. Lived in DC for some years too. Have you contacted the sailing club at the university? Check around. Try the marina up the river at the point. ( Can't remember the name) Their are quite a few on this Board living near by. Best sailing is in Annapolis, maybe leave a notice or two around the docks there explaining your desire. Is there a bulletin board in the student union? If so, leave a note. If you can get down south to Georgia, I will be glad to take you out. Best of luck. Welcome to the CF.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean