Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 18:22   #1

Clueless Sister-in-law Needs Help!

Hey all you sailor-pros .

I am hoping to buy some sailing gloves for my brothers-in-law and husband for Xmas. They all sail about once a year at a camp we visit each summer, so I don't want to hear that real men don't need gloves and all that - if you only sail once a year it gives you blisters. We live in Indiana, but the camp is on a glacier lake in Wisconsin.

Also, because they pretty much only sail in the summer, I don't need weather resistant gloves - gloves that cut off at the knuckles are probably fine.

I've done a little research of my own, but honestly am not sure where to start looking. What brands would you recommend? These boys like to be spoiled so I'd like to get them some nice, cool-looking (they are in their 20s and care about appearance ) gloves.

Can you help me out?

Let me know if you need any more info to make a suggestion, and thanks a bunch!
gobeep345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 18:28   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Clueless Sister-in-law Needs Help!

Aloha,

You didn't mention where you live so I'm just going to throw this catalog out to you and you can thumb through it and see what they might like.

West Marine eCatalogs

kind regards,
Old 28-10-2012, 18:33   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Be sure to buy the sailing gloves if the status of true "sailing gloves" would be important, but I'll share with you that my best of all time sailing gloves were actually "multi-grip" brand weight lifters gloves bought at a "Sports Authority" store.
Old 28-10-2012, 18:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobeep345 View Post

I am hoping to buy some sailing gloves for my brothers-in-law and husband for Xmas. They all sail about once a year at a camp we visit each summer, so I don't want to hear that real men don't need gloves and all that - if you only sail once a year it gives you blisters. We live in Indiana, but the camp is on a glacier lake in Wisconsin.

Also, because they pretty much only sail in the summer, I don't need weather resistant gloves - gloves that cut off at the knuckles are probably fine.

I've done a little research of my own, but honestly am not sure where to start looking. What brands would you recommend? These boys like to be spoiled so I'd like to get them some nice, cool-looking (they are in their 20s and care about appearance ) gloves.

Can you help me out?

Nothing girlie about wearing gloves - Stupid not to at times.

I wear out at least 2 pairs a year so I buy the cheapest gloves I can find - usually the WM brand.

Fingers
- 5 finger or all season - encloses all 5 fingers. NO dexterity for handling tasks, no need for your summer wisconsin sailing
- 3 finger - pinkie through ring finger enclosed - better protection for fingers, forefinger and thumb available for tasks. These are probably the best all round choice as my pinkie sometimes gets chaffed with 3/4 gloves
- 3/4 gloves - all fingers 3/4. I don't like my fingers enclosed and these are my choice. Probably also a good choice for summer sailing.

Materials

I like full synthetic on the back and a leather or duro-grip palm. I like a "stretchy glove"

Brands

Of the choices in the linked WM catalog Gill is probably the "cool"factor glove (followed probably by Harken and then Ronstan) and if this is a rare purchase and a gift you may want to go with the Gill Men's Pro Racer although I find the color totally unappealing.

I personally would get Gill Championship or Ronstan Sticky Race. And if for me it's a men's L or XL size 3/4 finger.

Do you need my address? - LOL...

PS - Others may agree or not but while race gloves should be snug they can restrict closing the fist and I go about one size larger (I am a snug M (say in ski gloves) and buy no smaller than L and sometimes XL in sailing gloves)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 19:10   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;1070727]Nothing girlie about wearing gloves - Stupid not to at times.

I wear out at least 2 pairs a year so I buy the cheapest gloves I can find - usually the WM brand.

Fingers
- 5 finger or all season - encloses all 5 fingers. NO dexterity for handling tasks, no need for your summer wisconsin sailing
- 3 finger - pinkie through ring finger enclosed - better protection for fingers, forefinger and thumb available for tasks. These are probably the best all round choice as my pinkie sometimes gets chaffed with 3/4 gloves
- 3/4 gloves - all fingers 3/4. I don't like my fingers enclosed and these are my choice. Probably also a good choice for summer sailing.

I hate the things, They create a callous right next to the joint and irritate the joint as well!
Ditto to the rest.

Materials

I like full synthetic on the back and a leather or duro-grip palm. I like a "stretchy glove"

Brands

Of the choices in the linked WM catalog Gill is probably the "cool"factor glove (followed probably by Harken and then Ronstan) and if this is a rare purchase and a gift you may want to go with the Gill Men's Pro Racer although I find the color totally unappealing.

I personally would get Gill Championship or Ronstan Sticky Race. And if for me it's a men's L or XL size 3/4 finger.

Do you need my address? - LOL...

PS - Others may agree or not but while race gloves should be snug they can restrict closing the fist and I go about one size larger (I am a snug M (say in ski gloves) and buy no smaller than L and sometimes XL in sailing gloves)
Old 28-10-2012, 19:10   #6

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Harken "Black Magic" sticky-palmed full finger gloves last long, work great. Every marine vendor sells 'em.
Old 28-10-2012, 19:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I hate the things, They create a callous right next to the joint and irritate the joint as well!
Ditto to the rest.
Yeah - gloves are personal - I hate people buying this kind of stuff for me. I had a closet full of shirts I didn't wear. Finally donated 'em (after the divorce - LOL)

3/4 gloves - you are spot on - I did say 3-finger is probably the smart choice, and yes I do have callouses on the middle joints and sometimes the pinky tip gets stung by a run...

The good news for me is I get to change every 4 months or so...
Old 28-10-2012, 19:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Although I have a pair, the West Marine brand would be the most un-cool. I remember what it was like to be in my twentes and so fashion conscious. At 52 I no longer care.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 19:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Although I have a pair, the West Marine brand would be the most un-cool. I remember what it was like to be in my twentes and so fashion conscious. At 52 I no longer care.
Gill gloves are faster...

I have a bucket of WMs for cruising (and guests) and my Gills for when things get serious -
Old 28-10-2012, 20:04   #10

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Yeah - gloves are personal - I hate people buying this kind of stuff for me. I had a closet full of shirts I didn't wear. Finally donated 'em (after the divorce - LOL)

3/4 gloves - you are spot on - I did say 3-finger is probably the smart choice, and yes I do have callouses on the middle joints and sometimes the pinky tip gets stung by a run...

The good news for me is I get to change every 4 months or so...
Gloves are particular. Best give hime a gift card or voucher and let him try them out. Hopefully he has a chandlery near him. Will save some time getting the right size and finger set up. I use 3/4 and full finger sailing gloves. Cold is the factor for the switch. I use the 3/4 XXL Gill gloves with tan leather palm and fingers and black stretch backs. Have lasted me over 13,000 nm since last year and other gill's have been long gone after much shorter distance. They are pricey at $42 but the best I have ever used. Finger ends have little leather tabs to help remove! Thank goodness! Cheers~
Old 28-10-2012, 20:07   #11

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobeep345 View Post

Can you help me out?

PS- Pretty nice effort from you to join CR to ask about sailing gloves. Cool!
Old 28-10-2012, 20:35   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

comming out of cycling background, I found the the fingerless cycling gloves with the padded palms work great.. lately I've been buying gardening gloves, with a fabric back and rubber palm for those cold nights.. the rubber palms grip the wheel great.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:54   #13

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

As for the chafing with the 3/4 gloves - do you think it could happen over the course of a week? The camp is only a week long. Also, fashion-wise , the 3/4 gloves look the coolest right?

I hadn't thought much about sizing!! Any tips for guessing on that? As for the suggestion on gift cards - I would LOVE to do that, but not only are gift cards kind of taboo in his family (like you're too lazy to think of a real gift), but most of the boys will probably lose the card before the use it - lol.

They are all slim guys but fairly muscular - I think their hands are average for their heights which are upper 5 feet lower 6 feet depending on the guy. Any guesses?

Also - ExCalif brings up a good point about the size and racing - there is a sailing regatta at the end of the week and one of the brothers almost always wins... wouldn't want to cramp his style!!!

Thanks again!
gobeep345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:00   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

They have summer camp for adults!!!??? Where can I sign up? Do they tell ghost stories and eat smores and have a dance with the girls at the girls camp?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:03   #15

Boat: Seaward 22

I like my Gill gloves, also like my Henri Lloyd
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote