Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2015, 11:52   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb View Post
I am currently a resident of South Carolina and getting ready to sell it all and live full time on a cataraman and do not want to be a citizen.
Well then, read that link I posted and have at it.
Good luck
Old 16-12-2015, 11:57   #17

Quote:
I am currently a resident of South Carolina and getting ready to sell it all and live full time on a cataraman and do not want to be a citizen.
You have to be a citizen of somewhere. When you visit another country--any other country--they will want to see your passport. The days when you could wander the world, country-less, are long gone.
Old 16-12-2015, 11:59   #18
bnb

My wife won't let marry anyone else.
Old 16-12-2015, 12:12   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
One can renounce US citizenship. A couple of hundred annually. Mostly people with whopping incomes trying to avoid taxes. A few who have married foreign nationals or other reasons, but not many.

At the risk of sounding chauvinistic, why would you want to? Despite some trying times in the USA, at just about every embassy in the world are lines of people trying to immigrate to the USA. Don't see many lines on Massachusetts Avenue (aka Embassy Row) in Washington, DC, of US citizens trying to leave.
Actually it's thousands per year and is increasing yearly. Forbes Welcome

Though currently it is mostly people that are (and usually always have) living overseas born of parents who are US citizens. The newer tax laws for reporting all your bank accounts and income to the IRS has become financially cumbersome to the point that it's worth the problem to go through and renouncing if you are in that situation... and it's not the "filthy rich" either.

I thought about doing this but as you have to have citzenship somewhere and usually you have to pay an exit tax to the IRS to make this happen it just seemed easier/more effective to minimize my interaction with the US government as much as possible. But each situation is personal both in why you are doing it and how much of a benefit / cost it will be.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:22   #20

Boat: Freedom 38

Oh, I get it now. This is really just a posting of "how can I avoid paying taxes" masquerading as a Meet and Greet post. Sheez.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:30   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Renouncing citizenship does not get you out of Military service, taxes, imprisionment or anything else that I can tell, but seemingly can get you in some serious trouble.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-12-2015, 13:47   #22
bnb

No, I am not trying to get out of paying taxes. I am retired and right now just living off of social security. I use investment money for misc items when needed.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:51   #23

Boat: Ohlson 29

Why would you post that question here instead of simply using Google?
Makes me wonder

Took me 3 seconds to find the info you need:
Renunciation of U.S. Nationality

Happy reading
Old 16-12-2015, 13:52   #24

Boat: islandpacket

? You want to continue too get your SS and renounce your citizenship? You probably can, but just doesn't seem right.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-12-2015, 13:55   #25
bnb

I just want to give up my citizenship, not the money I paid into my account.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:56   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Well, the moment you renounce your citizenship you would also loose Social Security I am pretty sure. Part of the renunciation is to reject any benefits owed to you as a result of your citizenship.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 16-12-2015, 13:57   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

This is officially a silly thread. He either has some burr up his ___ or (more likely) is trying to get out of something, like taxes.

Let him figure it out on his own.
Old 16-12-2015, 14:06   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know how you could have dual citizenship if both parents were US Citizens, not saying you can't, just don't know how.
My Son was born in Germany, but as we were both US Citizens, he cannot be a German Citizen, even though he has a German birth certificate, but if My wife was German, I believe he would have dual status
There are almost a couple hundred countries in the world, each with their own rules.

The US rules have nothing to do with acquiring German citizenship.

In your case what matters are the German rules. If a couple of foreigners (American or Russian or Martian, just to make a point) who hold German permanent residence permits and have lived in Germany for 8 years have a chiled in Germany then the child is German. Rules in several other European countries are similar but less strict (fewer years required).

If you were in Germany with the miltary then this does not apply to you of course.

On thr other hand, most countries in the Americas will grant citizenship by birth regardless of the status of the parents. I know plenty of US-citizen couples with children who acquired Argentine, Brazilian or British citizenship by birth.
Old 16-12-2015, 14:10   #29

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
I just want to give up my citizenship, not the money I paid into my account.
Do you?

You have all the information you need now, but you ignore it and just keep repeating you want to give up your citizenship.

Posting here isn't going to accomplish that, only appearing in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer, in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate) and signing an oath of renunciation will.

So .. might want to get working on that
Old 16-12-2015, 14:12   #30
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

The rules and regs are all there. Just Google the subject.

Uncle Sam will make it difficult, and very expensive to renounce your US citizenship. You may also find it very difficult to get a visa should you ever want to come back to visit family, etc., as they do bear a grudge.

And it's a lot more than a few hundred annually, I believe. Something like 3,000 a year lately?

You don't have to renounce your citizenship to get out of the USA for a while. We're US citizens, for example, but have been legal residents of the Turks and Caicos for ten years.

Have you considered trying that, for a while, and see how you like living out before doing something drastic?
Closed Thread