Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 07:57   #166

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
he's responding to the 'bigoted rant' above his comment, where pelagic states that third worlders are 'wolves'. certainly are a lot of wolves, but my wife and her family, character and morality wise, are far above the average person in north america.
No doubt that qualifies as another bigoted rant.
Old 25-12-2015, 08:00   #167

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
he's responding to the 'bigoted rant' above his comment, where pelagic states that third worlders are 'wolves'. certainly are a lot of wolves, but my wife and her family, character and morality wise, are far above the average person in north america.

Ah, yes I get it.
But the wolf was already available for your entertainment long before those damn furriners got here.
Old 25-12-2015, 08:02   #168

Both were bigoted statements.
A little truth in both maybe?
Old 25-12-2015, 08:04   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Your argument may have had some merit. However, your argument becomes null when you used "high-minded" to define hundreds of millions of people, and turned it into a bigoted rant.
Unlike your "fair and balanced" categorizarion of the morality of millions of "third-world" citizens.

BTW: My home base is in a small village in the jungle of Guatemala of maybe 200 souls. These people have been like a second family to me for a decade. Some of the most honest and hardworking people Ive ever had the privilege to know.
Old 25-12-2015, 08:17   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Unlike your "fair and balanced" categorizarion of the morality of millions of "third-world" citizens.

BTW: My home base is in a small village in the jungle of Guatemala of maybe 200 souls. These people have been like a second family to me for a decade. Some of the most honest and hardworking people Ive ever had the privilege to know.

What did I say about ANYBODIES morality?
What I said was, you made a bigoted statement, and in my opinion, you did.
Your argument having more merit by leaving the bigoted statement out was what I commented on.

You then tried to point a finger at someone else's bigotry to justify your own.

But never mind.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:20   #171

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Morality is such a "subjective" thing, when you are talking about the safety and welfare of your family and loved ones vs Other's.

Living in 3rd world countries, i observe that morality is generally much more "utilitarian" where citizens will rationalize a guilt free mindset.... that they can cheat, rob even kill in order to survive..... anyone who threatens the welfare of their families.

Importing those wolves amongst the sheep is a transformational Darwinian experiment....

Personally.... I see the writing is already on the wall and we are all going to live in more interesting times.
Well said, Pelagic! Having spent much of my working life in predominantly Muslim countries, I can say unequivocally that life there is cheap and the western notion that life is precious is looked upon as a joke!
As we import more folks with a lesser value placed on life, forget liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the more our society will emulate these values. If that is the direction Americans are comfortable in heading, by all means keep importing those that espouse these values but if it makes you uncomfortable living under Sharia law, best vote for someone who will do something about it! Phil
Old 25-12-2015, 09:25   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
What did I say about ANYBODIES morality?
What I said was, you made a bigoted statement, and in my opinion, you did.
Your argument having more merit by leaving the bigoted statement out was what I commented on.

You then tried to point a finger at someone else's bigotry to justify your own.

But never mind.
Oops, it was actually Pelagic's original post I was commenting on.

Regardless, I dont view my comment as "bigoted", I know plenty of high-minded Westerns who would make the claim they would NEVER behave that way...never say never...you dont know till you've been there.
Old 25-12-2015, 09:26   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Correction: "...unlike your (Pelagic's)..."
Old 25-12-2015, 09:28   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Well said, Pelagic! Having spent much of my working life in predominantly Muslim countries, I can say unequivocally that life there is cheap and the western notion that life is precious is looked upon as a joke!
As we import more folks with a lesser value placed on life, forget liberty and the pursuit of happiness, the more our society will emulate these values. If that is the direction Americans are comfortable in heading, by all means keep importing those that espouse these values but if it makes you uncomfortable living under Sharia law, best vote for someone who will do something about it! Phil
And the lives of others are not cheap to Americans?

How many innocents have we slaughtered in the Mideast?
Old 25-12-2015, 09:37   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If your prepared to acknowledge that, then why not consider it possible that the common definition of a democracy is correct and follow what the rest of the world already recognizes?
Oh, well that's a very easy question to answer. I do not choose to be wrong just because the majority of the people around me (or in the world, for that matter) are wrong. A democracy is one thing, a republic is another, and I prefer to be cognizant of the difference.
Old 25-12-2015, 11:58   #176

Boat: Rafiki 37

Humans have a deep capacity to create "in" and "out" groups. It's racism, it's sexism, it's how militaries and politicians create enemies out of opponents. How people and communities responds to "the other" is often dependent on the politicians and priests, marketers and media, and how they have chosen to define "us" and "them."

Broad-sweep generalization about "those other people" fail to understand that we're all more alike than we are different.
Old 25-12-2015, 12:03   #177
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Whenever you talk about a group of people "IN GENERAL" (as I did)..... it can be viewed to be bigoted... as opposed to just a philosophical observation.

Since you don't know me, that simply reduces the conversation down to its lowest level.

The real conversation is that more people are murdered in the name of countries and religions, than for any other reason....which is both the pride and prejudice of Citizenship.
Old 25-12-2015, 12:13   #178

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Humans have a deep capacity to create "in" and "out" groups. It's racism, it's sexism, it's how militaries and politicians create enemies out of opponents. How people and communities responds to "the other" is often dependent on the politicians and priests, marketers and media, and how they have chosen to define "us" and "them."

Broad-sweep generalization about "those other people" fail to understand that we're all more alike than we are different.
This comment makes me re-think my earlier view on some of your comments...
You have made "broad sweep generalizations" yourself, yet seem to understand how hurtful they can be.

What am I missing? Which of your comments are to be taken as your true feelings?
Old 25-12-2015, 12:27   #179

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
...The real conversation is that more people are murdered in the name of countries and religions, than for any other reason....which is both the pride and prejudice of Citizenship.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
This comment makes me re-think my earlier view on some of your comments...
You have made "broad sweep generalizations" yourself, yet seem to understand how hurtful they can be.

What am I missing? Which of your comments are to be taken as your true feelings?
morgen, I'm amused and a bit flattered that you seem to be so interested in what I have to say. As I requested prior, please quote the actual post and words I've used. Please show me these generalizations I've apparently made about other groups. Then perhaps I can know how to respond.

And perhaps more appropriately, you and I should take our discussion into private messages or a new thread. I don't think anyone else cares what you think of me.
Old 25-12-2015, 12:57   #180

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agreed.

morgen, I'm amused and a bit flattered that you seem to be so interested in what I have to say. As I requested prior, please quote the actual post and words I've used. Please show me these generalizations I've made about other groups. Then perhaps I can know how to respond.

And perhaps more appropriately, you and I should take our discussion into private messages or a new thread. I don't think anyone else cares what you think of me.
It's morven, not morgen; and you make comments in a public forum, yet want to explain/debate in private. Not interested. But feel free to continue making less than flattering comments about folks using screen names or Americans in general. I will continue to respond publicly.
Closed Thread