Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 03:54   #16

...I wonder what Jessica would think : )
15 posts here over 600 for her.....

funny people.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 06:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Fando

You dont indicate your age and gender. As long as you are not a 16 year old girl you will be fine. At least thats my understanding of the assembled wisdom.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 09:01   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Fando

You dont indicate your age and gender. As long as you are not a 16 year old girl you will be fine. At least thats my understanding of the assembled wisdom.
And don't buy a pink boat...

Seriously - My best advice Fando is to buy the boat in a really cool place to explore and then spend a year coastal cruising before doing any ocean passages.

i.e. - Buy a boat in Thailand coming off charter - sail around Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia for a year

i.e. - Buy a boat in the Carribean coming off charter - sail around the Carribean for a year
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 11:14   #19

I would like to thank you all for your time and effort in respect to our request for advice. The only consistent theme appeared to be the varying opinions, from questioning our intelligence through to simple encouragement, punctuated by genuine advice and offers.

As a result of the latter, we have decided to enrol on an 18 week Yachtmaster course in the UK, which will provide us 2,500 miles of additional sailing experience, together with much practical and theoretical advice. We appreciate that such a course will not render us 'sailors' in some of your salty eyes, but we believe it will provide us with sufficient experience to sail around the MED for 12 months, before contemplating our first ocean crossing.

In respect to the 'best' yacht for us, the advice continues to vary enormously, from ancient mariners to the latest production line models. All I would add from our own perspective is that circumnavigation for us at least, means spending 95% of the time in sheltered waters, with only 5% in true blue water. During this 5% we will mitigate our exposure/risk through various means, which we will continue to evaluate and prepare for. No adventures are without risk and although we appreciate certain members concern, we all have different values and different appetites to risk and thus those that may consider us naïve and foolhardy, should realise that this is through their own eyes and certainly not ours. Of course if we sink, you will at least have the opportunity of the last post.

We will have many more questions I’m sure and so in the meantime, thank you for your views and hopefully at some point we shall see you all at sea.

FANDO
fando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 21:47   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Fando, you speak like a true offshore sailor. Risks, learning, experience needed, common sense. I'd crew for you and your wife anyday.
Cheers and Godspeed to your dreams,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 02:04   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Good choices - I am sure you will do all you want to achieve.

Good luck and fair winds

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, circumnavigation, yachtmaster