Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2014, 00:44   #76

Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Re: Circumnavigating/ Sailing Is Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
As far as I'm concerned:

thieves and really dirty places with dirty scary people. "

is very disrespectful to one heck of a lot of people.
Yep, 'specially 'Strayans and Kiwis.... they aren't quite that bad.

Why bother leaving home if that is your world view?

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 00:46   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
But I certainly don't condemn them without ever having met them. I humbly invite anyone to prove to me that isn't prejudice.
We are unlikely to have the chance to physically meet these folks, so we are left with forming opinions from what they have chosen to write and publish here on CF.

Their denigration of much of the world's population and their homelands is offensive to me, as is some of their other writing here. So, I have formed an opinion.

Perhaps that is prejudice... I dunno

Jim

Old 15-03-2014, 01:00   #78

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Do I detect a common denominator here?
Maybe, there's just a simple explanation of some type of additive in the water supply unique to California that makes them all think the same way....mmmm, I wonder?

I have experienced some incredible moments in over 37 years of being on the World Oceans, some very, very sad, some very, very scary and most of all Funny, unbelievably Funny....but, these moments in time are my moments to remember.....not to post for others to comment on, you'd probably never believe half of them anyway....

I keep myself to myself and treat all Cruisers the same, but, if someone asked me for help, I'll be the first guy to jump in to do what I can.....

I have been fortunate to meet some really fantastic people over the years, many of whom are still in contact and on those rare occasions that we do bump into each other again...what can I say!!!...it just makes living worthwhile.

But, that 1% of Cruisers that talk $$$$$$$ and drink 1/2 Pints I avoid like the plague.
Old 15-03-2014, 01:17   #79

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned:

"The whole south east Asia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India by boat sounds pretty rough too. It's not the sailing but the time, heat, disease, thieves and really dirty places with dirty scary people. "

So you're saying that it will take no time at all for them to sail there, it's nice and cool throughout SE Asia, there are no diseases, no thieves, it's not dirty and there are no dirty, scary people. Got it.

If all of the above isn't true, then maybe their assessment may not have been too far off the mark, even if overly general and very unflattering. On behalf of all of the downtrodden and viciously maligned peoples of the various countries of SE Asia, we take umbrage and outrage of the highest order!!

LOL

If I were there right now, I'd smile, nod, and say, "Yup, this is the real armpit of the universe here. Absolute hell hole." Just to keep the hordes away. History has shown us that if you tell too many people about paradise, pretty soon they pave it over to put in a parking lot. Sometimes the greatest treasures remain that way because the rest of the world passes it by.
Old 15-03-2014, 01:53   #80

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned:

"The whole south east Asia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India by boat sounds pretty rough too. It's not the sailing but the time, heat, disease, thieves and really dirty places with dirty scary people. "

Well, after having lived in Thailand for a few years now I can say most of that is true. It is sure as hell hot (100F today), there is Dengue fever to worry about (no vaccine), big time corruption that makes small time thieves a piece of cake, and dirty for sure .. the environmental degradation of their islands is extremely sad of watch. But we still like it .. enough for now.

But the people are not scary, they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and makes it worth it.
Old 15-03-2014, 02:03   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We are unlikely to have the chance to physically meet these folks, so we are left with forming opinions from what they have chosen to write and publish here on CF.

Their denigration of much of the world's population and their homelands is offensive to me, as is some of their other writing here. So, I have formed an opinion.

Perhaps that is prejudice... I dunno

Jim

Perhaps those comments were very gross generalizations. I'll be the first to admit there are thieves and wonderful people in every country. Last week I met an Indian guy who lived near Mumbai for the first 19 years of his life. I asked him to describe it. He answered, "Filthy, crowded, poverty stricken, chaotic, loud." I asked him if he missed it, did he ever want to go back. "Hell no! I've almost finished my MBA, I'm already a US citizen, we have a nice house, 2 kids, and I never want them to see what I grew up in!"

Now maybe he was being overly harsh in his criticism, but I took him at his word because he grew up there, and I've never heard anyone describe India as being lush, wide open, opulent, wealthy, or clean.

Everyone has their vision of where they'd like to go, what they'd like to do. If everyone liked the same things, paradise would be very crowded and it would cease to be paradise. Look at what happened to Acapulco, Cabo, Cancun, etc. What once was unspoiled pristine beauty, turned into huge hotels and swarms of tourists swilling $5 drinks. I'm more of a San Felipe, $1 taco, $1 XX kind of guy myself, bu I certainly don't hate on anyone who wants to stay in an all inclusive resort.
Old 15-03-2014, 02:26   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Maybe, there's just a simple explanation of some type of additive in the water supply unique to California that makes them all think the same way....mmmm, I wonder?

I have experienced some incredible moments in over 37 years of being on the World Oceans, some very, very sad, some very, very scary and most of all Funny, unbelievably Funny....but, these moments in time are my moments to remember.....not to post for others to comment on, you'd probably never believe half of them anyway....

I keep myself to myself and treat all Cruisers the same, but, if someone asked me for help, I'll be the first guy to jump in to do what I can.....

I have been fortunate to meet some really fantastic people over the years, many of whom are still in contact and on those rare occasions that we do bump into each other again...what can I say!!!...it just makes living worthwhile.

But, that 1% of Cruisers that talk $$$$$$$ and drink 1/2 Pints I avoid like the plague.

I can appreciate that you might be a very private person. But if you never posted here, and no one else posted here, this wouldn't be a website. Somebody has to share something, or this website ceases to exist. Who knows, you may bump into these people somewhere along the way and end up being friends. It just saddens me to think that you've already written people off just from a few posts and videos.

Maybe you're right, maybe they're pretentious, narcissistic snobs. I won't make that judgement until I meet them in person. Until then, I'm going to treat others as I'd like to be treated, even online. If I enjoy their video, I'll tell them, if not, I'll click over to something else.

You mention something about an additive in the water in CA...

maybe so! I have 3 HD cameras, with about 8 different mounts and underwater housings. I have a boom, suction cups, bar mounts, a glider and 2 quad copters that can all have HD cameras installed. Most of my friends video and post their dyno runs of their new engines (upgraded very summer), plus videos of them driving, and now many of them have switched from hiring helicopters to chase them to buying $1600 RC helicopter setups with stabilized gimbals, GPS, auto-return, etc just to video their fun with their toys. Maybe there is something in the water that makes us want to shoot video and post it online. Youtube and Vimeo would be empty without people like them.

I've parked my very well equipped 40' trailer next to $1.2M Prevosts, and had a tent camper pitch it right in front of my rig. We all drank beer together, shared our meals, driven together. They didn't look down on me, and I didn't look down on anyone else. Maybe that is a CA thing.
Old 15-03-2014, 02:41   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
"Filthy, crowded, poverty stricken, chaotic, loud."
Pretty much describes parts of Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, and dozens other cities around the world.

Quote:
and I've never heard anyone describe India as being lush, wide open, opulent, wealthy, or clean.
and you have obviously never been to India, which in my humble opinion is one of the most interesting and fascinating countries in the world.

I spent some 7 months working in Bangladesh, which at the time, and probably still is, one of the poorest countries. I had a fantastic time there, the people were a joy to meet. In those 7 months, neither myself, or any of my crew suffer from any disease or other misfortune.

To the young couple who started this thread, if you decline the opportunity to visit some of these countries, you will live to regret it.
Obviously, you need to be sensible, and do a bit of research, but with common sense you will most likely come through unscathed.
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 07:59   #84

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Oh damn...please don't include me in that generalization...my home base is there!

Quote:
So you're saying that it will take no time at all for them to sail there, it's nice and cool throughout SE Asia, there are no diseases, no thieves, it's not dirty and there are no dirty, scary people. Got it.
Well if you're trying to make a point, it's a silly one. Both you and the OP should realize there is crime, filth and diseases in any country. True, some countries are down right dangerous but I think the OP's opinion might have been based on hear-say.

If it was the intent of the OP to just troll...then they have been successful. Or maybe the heat was a little too much for them. Regardless, I feel it makes for a better forum for people to openly express their opinions. Even if it means being called onto the carpet.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 09:15   #85

Boat: 1982 Morgan 32

It looks like they are having fun with their adventure and they realize that they need to show some caution. Think back a few(OK more than a few) years. I myself went places, did things with little regard to the danger. Do I still fire up the bike and over drink? Hell Yeah!! Have I learned places that are better avoided? Yes again. Are there places that I go, that I think, are not so safe for my wife? Yes once more. There are also Club guys that she has met thru me, whom she would have been scared of, that are now her friends. My point is that our fears and apprehensions are real to each of us. What's scary now, may not be later and what wasn't scary then might be best left alone now. BTW, Do you think they need a 50 year old cabin boy? Have fun kids.
Old 15-03-2014, 10:57   #86

I'll try to sharpen my point this time.

Everyone cruises for a different reason, their destinations are chosen for personal reasons. For example, I have visions in my head of empty atolls and pristine, remote beaches that are accessible only by boat. Sure, I'm going to have to pull into marinas, go into town and buy provisions, but in my mind, I'm not looking to tour downtown Mumbai or Manchester.

Maybe my desires will change sometime between now and when I actually go cruising. Right now, I'm not interested in seeing the world, only the remotest, inaccessible parts of the world. I'm not looking for crowded city streets. I'd like to find a few beautiful, quiet places to enjoy and take some pictures, videos and share with friends and family.

That may be in direct contradiction to someone else's purpose for cruising, but so what? I'm not going to condemn them for spending $150K on a boat and going somewhere they could have flown to faster and cheaper. We all have different goals, different likes and dislikes, and there is no right or wrong, despite what some of you may think. The right answer is whatever you want to do.
Old 15-03-2014, 11:33   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
I'm more of a San Felipe, $1 taco, $1 XX kind of guy myself, bu I certainly don't hate on anyone who wants to stay in an all inclusive resort.
Are the giant coladas at the Rockodile upscale??? I like sittin' on the beach at pete's, but I loves me a good colada too !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 12:45   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh damn...please don't include me in that generalization...my home base is there!

Well if you're trying to make a point, it's a silly one. Both you and the OP should realize there is crime, filth and diseases in any country. True, some countries are down right dangerous but I think the OP's opinion might have been based on hear-say.

If it was the intent of the OP to just troll...then they have been successful. Or maybe the heat was a little too much for them. Regardless, I feel it makes for a better forum for people to openly express their opinions. Even if it means being called onto the carpet.

Called onto the carpet? By whom? Are you Judge Judy or something?

For what? Not conforming to a specific mindset? How tolerant and broadminded...

LOL
Old 15-03-2014, 13:02   #89

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Called onto the carpet? By whom? Are you Judge Judy or something?

For what? Not conforming to a specific mindset? How tolerant and broadminded...

LOL
Strangely, you missed the point... It's a forum. People have opinions. Most of the people who expressed their opinion that you're not agreeing with are actually out cruising and have 1st hand accounts of cultures they encounter. They are allowed to voice their opinions. This is not a tribunal where laws are applied to the OP to cease and desist.
Speaking of being broad minded...what is it when you polarize the opinion of all or nothing?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:34   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Strangely, you missed the point... It's a forum. People have opinions. Most of the people who expressed their opinion that you're not agreeing with are actually out cruising and have 1st hand accounts of cultures they encounter. They are allowed to voice their opinions. This is not a tribunal where laws are applied to the OP to cease and desist.
Speaking of being broad minded...what is it when you polarize the opinion of all or nothing?

There is expressing one's opinions, and then there is condemning others. They may both be one's opinion, but there is a big difference. I can easily accept other's desires and cruising plans as different without condemning them or calling them onto the carpet. Why can't we all be as open minded?

I'm not saying that everyone did that, but there were enough that it looked a lot like a mugging in a third world country to me.

Anyways, lecturing them about not wanting to visit every cloud of mosquitoes or meeting every friendly local in every partially dirty country probably hasn't changed their plans. But it looks like it has made them decide not to post on here.

I wasn't a member here when the Bumfuzzle voyage started, but the same thing happened to them. I've read most of their blog, and saw the phenomena from their perspective. It looks to me like they saw everything they wanted to see, visited every country they wanted to, ate all of the pizza they could find in every remote location, and still managed to survive despite being woefully young and inexperienced.

They're not my heroes, but I do salute them for going out and doing what they wanted to do regardless of who said what about them. It shows good judgment not to get sucked into internet arguments. As we can all see, I failed miserably at that one. Oh well. LOL

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: