Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 17:26   #61

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Circumnavigating/ Sailing Is Sexy

Hot chick, nice photography, good plan. But the overriding narcissism spoiled it for me.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 17:55   #62

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You are talking to a lot of people here who currently live/cruise in those dirty places with those dirty natives surrounded by that same pearly blue water, be it Pacific, Caribbean, Coral Sea, South China Sea, Indian Ocean or whatever. (Check out where Wolfy actually is)
Common guys, give these kids a break. If they can afford to side-step the ****-holes that many of you have landed in by happenstance or lack of funds, more power to them.

There's no right of passage involved here, and I don't see why "ruffing it with the natives" should become one.

BTW, if Wolfy is still in Trinidad, he's still in the richest of the Caribbean islands, so what's your point?
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 18:42   #63

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
Common guys, give these kids a break. If they can afford to side-step the ****-holes that many of you have landed in by happenstance or lack of funds, more power to them.

There's no right of passage involved here, and I don't see why "ruffing it with the natives" should become one.

BTW, if Wolfy is still in Trinidad, he's still in the richest of the Caribbean islands, so what's your point?
Yup, still here.....Chagauramas, not exactly what I would call "Well to do", I would also dispute the fact that Trini is the richest Island in the Caribbean....all the Oil Money goes straight into the pockets of the undeserving....the proper Trini's have absolutely nothing except that big beautiful smile on they're faces....there's a lot of other Caribbean Islands that would show better.
Better get back to my Liming...and Caribe....
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 18:56   #64

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingissexy View Post
You've got us all figured out from behind your keyboard.

I'm about to jump in some pearly blue pacific water, you know we're having fun!!! Now don't be jealous, be a good sport about it at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You are talking to a lot of people here who currently live/cruise in those dirty places with those dirty natives surrounded by that same pearly blue water, be it Pacific, Caribbean, Coral Sea, South China Sea, Indian Ocean or whatever. (Check out where Wolfy actually is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yes, SiSxy, some of us are indeed out here cruising. And most of us like to talk about things we've already accomplished more than telling an audience about what we are surely gonna do in the future. Nor do most of us feel a need to post videos of our activities. That's why you are getting some negative responses to this thread.

And no, not jealous either. Sailed to Hawaii a couple of times, and while it is beautiful, not a particularly good cruising destination IMO. YMMV, and that is one of the good things about cruising... the varying mileage (so to speak).

Cheers,

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
Hot chick, nice photography, good plan. But the overriding narcissism spoiled it for me.
There are some good points here for Sailingsexy. A few years back we got our fill of another couple who flaunted their blog with something like "follow this young couple sailing around the world". Basically too cool for us commoners. The female of the two was trying to sell her photography of pretty food dishes. Every other photo on the blog was her trying to look pouty and sexy. I think they got as far as the Caribbean from Spain and ran into equally cool friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=39YUXIKrOFk

Many of us are out cruising and while a few young people are out here enjoying life, are quite respectful and receive the same back. You see the old adage of you get what you give still applies.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 19:15   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There are some good points here for Sailingsexy. A few years back we got our fill of another couple who flaunted their blog with something like "follow this young couple sailing around the world". Basically too cool for us commoners. The female of the two was trying to sell her photography of pretty food dishes. Every other photo on the blog was her trying to look pouty and sexy. I think they got as far as the Caribbean from Spain and ran into equally cool friends.

Posted this on the very first page. Their videos are so similar that I believe they hired the same director.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 19:17   #66

What the hell happened around here?

Did the Geritol truck wreck and everyone's in a sour mood because they're sobering up? Are your Depends in a tight little wad up near your keyboard? Not enough prune juice lately?

Jeeeesus! I thought he was the last one to get crucified, but I see the practice is still alive and well on the internet!

At what point did these people take a whiz in your bran flakes? All I saw was them trying to join a cruising website, share their experiences, and they're getting attacked for it! Please show me where they showed any disrespect to anyone? They're getting attacked from all sides, for what? For being young? For flaunting their good fortune and unwrinkled skin? Puleeeze! If any of you could have done this at their age, you would have jumped at the chance, and probably would be even more narcissistic about it.

Remind me to never post any videos around here, unless it's 2 hrs of the camera shaking unsteadily while the wind blows directly into the mic and the lens is capturing nothing but frothy wake...

I would have expected a bit more class and encouragement from those of you with more experience and wisdom. Since when has it been fashionable to eat the young? They're out there doing it, having a great time. That's better than being bitter behind a keyboard. Sorry if they're not ugly enough for you or doing the fake modesty thing that I never understood. I live in socal, and I know plenty of guys who have hired a helicopter with an HD camera to chase them around while they drive their $250K -$500k offroad truck through the desert.

We don't call them narcissistic, we call them to go camping! LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 19:45   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Did the Geritol truck wreck and everyone's in a sour mood because they're sobering up? Are your Depends in a tight little wad up near your keyboard? Not enough prune juice lately?

Jeeeesus! I thought he was the last one to get crucified, but I see the practice is still alive and well on the internet!

At what point did these people take a whiz in your bran flakes? All I saw was them trying to join a cruising website, share their experiences, and they're getting attacked for it! Please show me where they showed any disrespect to anyone? They're getting attacked from all sides, for what? For being young? For flaunting their good fortune and unwrinkled skin? Puleeeze! If any of you could have done this at their age, you would have jumped at the chance, and probably would be even more narcissistic about it.

Remind me to never post any videos around here, unless it's 2 hrs of the camera shaking unsteadily while the wind blows directly into the mic and the lens is capturing nothing but frothy wake...

I would have expected a bit more class and encouragement from those of you with more experience and wisdom. Since when has it been fashionable to eat the young? They're out there doing it, having a great time. That's better than being bitter behind a keyboard. Sorry if they're not ugly enough for you or doing the fake modesty thing that I never understood. I live in socal, and I know plenty of guys who have hired a helicopter with an HD camera to chase them around while they drive their $250K -$500k offroad truck through the desert.

We don't call them narcissistic, we call them to go camping! LOL
nice post,i think the problem might be that the wise and experinced detractors have been there done that at simmilar ages,but never made a big deal about it.......tall poppy syndrome,everybody loves a narcisist
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 19:57   #68

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
nice post,i think the problem might be that the wise and experinced detractors have been there done that at simmilar ages,but never made a big deal about it.......tall poppy syndrome,everybody loves a narcisist
I thought tall poppy syndrome was a symptom of envy? What I think is irritating here is that while my culture values restraint, humility, and earned rewards..the values inherent in celebrity/media culture lean heavily towards narcissism.

I personally like wacking the heads off of braggarts and tall poppies.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 20:17   #69

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:

Many of us are out cruising and while a few young people are out here enjoying life, are quite respectful and receive the same back. You see the old adage of you get what you give still applies.
Please be care with that "we", not all of us felt that way. I've continued to follow them and think they are a real class act. By the way, they made it further than the Caribbean. They went on to SA and to Panama before heading up to Boston for the winter.

I haven't seen any photography by the OP, but Taru's is top rate.
Old 14-03-2014, 21:12   #70

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I thought tall poppy syndrome was a symptom of envy? What I think is irritating here is that while my culture values restraint, humility, and earned rewards..the values inherent in celebrity/media culture lean heavily towards narcissism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Please be care with that "we", not all of us felt that way. I've continued to follow them and think they are a real class act. By the way, they made it further than the Caribbean. They went on to SA and to Panama before heading up to Boston for the winter.

I haven't seen any photography by the OP, but Taru's is top rate.
Ok...me and me alone...ok? Regardless, it gets a little sickening and condescending.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 21:17   #71

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Ok...me and me alone...ok? Regardless, it gets a little sickening and condescending.
So this isn't the fuzzlebutts you are talking about here?
Another 'look at me!!look at me!!!' outfit
Old 14-03-2014, 21:46   #72

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

Well shiver me timbers you two are sexy, and if only you were in the eastern Med we would surely have you over for drinks and a conversation about communicating with the savages on shore. Why not turn around head through the canal into the Carribean and then cross to the Med. You dont want to miss it if you live on anchor and dont need to spend you summers in a marina it is truely magic and very very sexy. History, wine and amazing food and those european people who are for the most part non apocolyptic or terribly religious or anxious about their second amendment and driving their Hummer to the Wallmart. Not always the best sailing but the most fantastic anchorages and well we are here, for now , Fair winds Barbara and Jim
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 22:03   #73

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Circumnavigating/ Sailing Is Sexy

Lay off these people. I can't stand this **** when new people come on and tell there story and get clobbered. I didn't take nothing personal that they said. In fact I may not visit the same places they don't want too either. Everyone has different views and that's what makes coexistence so interesting.
Old 14-03-2014, 23:25   #74

Quote:

This is a very interesting post.

Restraint, humility and earned rewards. How do you know they haven't earned their rewards? Are they too young to have earned the rewards that they seem to be garnering? What exactly is it that makes you feel that they lack restraint and humility? The fact that they made a video? Or that they smiled into the camera? Are they too good looking? Is that triggering some sort of mass inferiority complex? I just don't get all of this negativity. I see no evidence on their part to pretend to be superior to anyone else, or "in your face" about anything, so the logical conclusion is the apparent ease with which they're enjoying themselves is triggering a deep seated insecurity, manifesting itself in this typewritten hostility.

Is it the fact that they made some videos that is so troubling? Why don't we whack off the heads of everyone who has made an internet video. We can start with youtube! Plenty of targets there!

How about instead of judging other people based on a few posts and a few videos, people that none of us have met in person, we extend the courtesy of giving them the benefit of the doubt? Maybe they're very kind, warm, generous and charming? Perhaps if you met them in your travels, you'd become great friends. If only your prejudice didn't get in the way.

I could do the same. Based on a lot of the posts here (and in previous threads), one could come to the conclusion that there are a lot of prejudiced, closed minded, intolerant, judgmental, jealous and snobby people who post here. However, I'm just going to give many of you the benefit of the doubt and tell myself that maybe it was just a temporary mixup with all of the medications.

I greet everyone with a beer, a smile and as a potential friend, and if they disappoint me with their behavior, lack of manners or class, I simply move on. If we seem to be on the same wavelength, then we may become lifelong friends. But I certainly don't condemn them without ever having met them. I humbly invite anyone to prove to me that isn't prejudice.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 23:36   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Please show me where they showed any disrespect to anyone?
As far as I'm concerned:

"The whole south east Asia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, India by boat sounds pretty rough too. It's not the sailing but the time, heat, disease, thieves and really dirty places with dirty scary people. "

is very disrespectful to one heck of a lot of people.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing