Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 06:52   #1

Christian Maritime Academy?

Ahoy Shipmates. Having just retired from the Navy's Chaplain Corps, and having just received an EdD on which the ink is still wet, I've been praying through the idea of establishing a Christian maritime academy -- probably high school students spending a year at sea learning seamanship, as well as continuing their academics in a Christian context. Given that "Without counsel, plans go awry, But in the multitude of counselors they are established." (Pv 15:22, NKJV), I was hoping that there'd be a multitude to offer some counsel on all subjects involved to include:
- Recruitment/Retention of Board Members for this Nonprofit
- Organizational Development to fund a tallship purchase/maintenance
- HRM, Compensation, Academic Staffing, Ship Crewing
- Risk Mgmt (especially given recent child abuse scandals. Being an Eagle Scout, I like the Boy Scouts' "two-deep" scout protection system.)
- Homeport Locations (I'm currently in the Charleston, SC area and teaching at a Christian University here, but willing to relocate worldwide.)
Blessings to All,
Dr. Chaps
Dr. Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:22   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Christian Maritime Academy?

There certainly is a "multitude" of counsel here - plusses and minuses to that, given that we ain't all singing from the same song sheet as you ......but nonetheless, welcome aboard CF .

There have been a couple of threads from folks with gods and boats closely linked, including (IIRC) a couple doing (or trying to?) pretty much what you are proposing - although perhaps on a slightly smaller scale than starting with a tall ship!....and not sure if they ever got anywhere , but perhaps worth half a search.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:43   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Why limit it to Christians? The precepts apply to all religions and no one has an advantage on morality, principles or values except in their own minds.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:54   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Why limit it to Christians? The precepts apply to all religions and no one has an advantage on morality, principles or values except in their own minds.
errrrr.......what makes you claim that morality and principles only apply to those with religions .

BTW, OP aiming at only christians don't bother me any more than folks aiming at only stamp collectors or gay people. Mostly irrelevant to me - so fits in with my live and let live philosophy.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
errrrr.......what makes you claim that morality and principles only apply to those with religions .
I didn't. But why limit teaching those principles only to Christians?
Old 21-11-2012, 08:47   #6

I'm not opposed to embarking students with any particular religious "flavor", but all should be aware that instruction and daily life will be conducted from a Christian worldview--with a view toward honoring the Great Commission to make disciples.
Dr. Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:50   #7

Checks out SALTS - they have a Christian perspective.

SALTS Sail and Life Training Society - About Us
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:54   #8

Boat: OEM, proportional

Non-profit, and a corporation, means someone else determines your curriculum; government, academia and mainstream media. There will be too many fatal compromises necessary to get this venture to float that way. Better to keep it totally private, preferably distributed and decentralised. One way of telling whether a movement is of God is that He also provides for it....no appeals for donations needed, and also no requirement for special status with strings attached from Caesar. This isn't the Gamaliel-doctrine of measuring visible success by worldly standards, it is living by faith...research George Muller for an example of how it can be done. Batten down, storm's a-comin'!

SV Illusion....Biblical Christianity is distinct and exclusive, and hated by the world. That isn't the thread topic, but I'd be happy to discuss it with you in PM where we can chat undisturbed. Let's leave Dr Chaps to get his info.
Old 21-11-2012, 09:11   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Dr. Chaps, if you want to go the Tall Ship route you better find donors with extremely deep pockets. Even if someone donated a vessel to you in bristol condition the maintenance, operational, and insurance costs are massive (relative to smaller boats).

I used to crew on the ELISSA (barque rigged ship built in 1877), we had a volunteer maintenance crew of about 150, I guesstimate that about 30% of those were regularly active, that was just enough bodies to keep up with the work...which never ended and continued year round. They were supervised by a full time (paid) Bosun and a part time Bosun's Mate. As I recall (although I was not involved in the financials), the insurance tab alone was about $100K per year. And, if one person ever falls from the rigging (usually a fatal event) the program will be over (fortunately the ELISSA has an excellent safety record).

Take a look at the ELISSA web site Galveston Historical Foundation

Also, I suggest you check into other tall ships and the foundations that run them. Google should turn up quite a few. Make contact with the directors of these programs. Recruiting a board, and potential donors, from the existing community of Tall Ships foundations might be a good strategy.

Another thought, is start with something smaller. There are lots of small boat programs out there too. The cost of start up and operations are dramatically less. Then, if that is successful, maybe build up to larger vessels -- it's a lot easier to attract donations if you can already show a track record.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post

SV Illusion....Biblical Christianity is distinct and exclusive, and hated by the world. That isn't the thread topic, but I'd be happy to discuss it with you in PM where we can chat undisturbed. Let's leave Dr Chaps to get his info.
Which doesn't answer my question but I don't want to divert from the topic so will leave it as a rhetorical question - to use a theological metaphor, if you want to tend the garden, why only focus on a specific color flower with a unique fertilizer? Doesn't that do a disservice to the entire garden?

I don't consider myself qualified or capable of judging other people but it appears my question was interpreted so as to evoked such a response...

Sorry for the diversion.
Old 21-11-2012, 09:15   #11

Boat: too many

Welcome to the forum Dr. Chaps. As a graduate of CMA (California Maritime Academy), your proposed name might cause a bit of confusion in the circles of professional mariners. Generally world wide, a maritime academy is a college setting for the training of merchant marine officers for both deck and engineering positions. They are not easy to be accepted to, and no cake walk to get through. I think what you want to do could interest and open the doors to young people into maritime professions, you just might need a minor name tweak so that the two words "maritime" and "academy" do not lead into each other.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:49   #12
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

[QUOTE=S/V Illusion;1089971]Which doesn't answer my question but I don't want to divert from the topic so will leave it as a rhetorical question - to use a theological metaphor, if you want to tend the garden, why only focus on a specific color flower with a unique fertilizer? Doesn't that do a disservice to the entire garden?

How is that a Theological metaphor?

As to the rest, starting smaller would be both easier to get started in - and easier to get donations and help for. I also agree with Micah - if you get too many chiefs (donors) you will have to compromise your principles. Not all Christians (so-called) march to the same drum - Bible - doctrines - principles, etc. And, if it is designed to become an organisation which throws away doctrine for unity, then it is no more Christian than budda.

As to the idea itself, it is worthy. There needs to be more done to help Christian youth. This world is becoming increasingly hostile to Christianity (type away those who hate it) and the youth need help and support. We have to raise more Daniels, Shadrach's, Meshach's and Abednego's.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 10:16   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Politics, religion, guns and which-anchor are sore subjects here on the forum. But best of wishes to your venture Dr. Chaps.

And Ditto with deckofficer.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:20   #14
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Politics, religion, guns and which-anchor are sore subjects here on the forum. But best of wishes to your venture Dr. Chaps.

And Ditto with deckofficer.
Respectfully, why should wanting to start a a Maritime Academy for a specific group of people be a "sore subject"?
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 10:23   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
Respectfully, why should wanting to start a a Maritime Academy for a specific group of people be a "sore subject"?
That isn't what I said!