Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 14:33   #1

Boat: Elco Marinette 27'
Chesapeake Newbie w/antique vessel

Hello!
I am new to this forum, and I'm very happy to be here! I have a rare 1930 Elco on the Chesapeake Bay (West River) and am hoping to meet others in the area. I'm a lone captain who's somewhat green, so I prefer to convoy with other boaters, at least until I get my sea legs.

Anyway, I know it's winter, but just wanted to say HEY and to hopefully make some friends before Spring cruising.
JD
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 16:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Chesapeake Newbie w/antique vessel

:-) Welcome aboard, Starside.

Soon someone closer to you than I am will welcome you, as well.

Ann
Old 31-10-2014, 04:37   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Welcome, JD. We're just around the corner from you, on the South River... and we kept our earlier boat probably near you there, in Galesville.

-Chris
Old 31-10-2014, 08:07   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, JD!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 17:40   #5

Thank you for the warm welcome!
-joan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starside02.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	90652  
Old 31-10-2014, 19:36   #6

Welcome to the site. I am fairly new to the site myself and I am local too. I sail out of Galesville (Paradise Cove) occasionally with a friend that lives there.
Oceanyachtllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:28   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Looks like a lot of varnish! She is a beauty.
What does she have for engines?
kind regards,
Old 03-11-2014, 13:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanyachtllc View Post
Welcome to the site. I am fairly new to the site myself and I am local too. I sail out of Galesville (Paradise Cove) occasionally with a friend that lives there.
You and I are neighbors! I'm at the Hartge Marina in Galesville! I really hope to make a lot of connections on the Bay next year and hope to meet you one day on the water.
Old 03-11-2014, 13:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Looks like a lot of varnish! She is a beauty.
What does she have for engines?
kind regards,
Funny you should mention her engine, John, because one reason why she's at the yard is because I am having her converted to electric. She did have a Diesel 3-cyl Perkins (a nice little engine), but she was so loud, I couldn't even hear my radio. Also, my boat is a "Elco" and they are still in business and make electric launches, so it just made sense (for me) to convert her to an electric Elco propulsion system, at least for my type of cruising.

Honestly, most people express dismay when I mention the conversion, but I've always wanted an electric launch as it is better suited to me as a nature lover and bird watcher. On the Chesapeake, I'll be able to cruise year-round, and as the 2nd largest estuary on the planet, we get some amazing waterfowl that I hope I can capture in my little electric boat.

Anyway, the conversion is rather intense, but I can't wait until she's launched again next year. There's something to be said about cruising with no noise -- well, I guess the sail boaters understand.
Old 03-11-2014, 14:07   #10

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Hi Starside, we are nearby, up in Selby Bay. I'm excited for you and the electric conversion! I am planning an eventual electric conversion on our sailboat, most likely next winter after I address the more urgent upgrades to our (new to us) 30 y.o. boat.

I was wondering if it might be possible to stop by sometime and see how the conversion is going. I've read almost everything I can find on line, but it would be great to see an actual installation.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:12   #11

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Welcome aboard
Old 03-11-2014, 14:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

I'm not in your are, do have a look at the Classic Yacht Association you will find many Classic Owners.

I am a member of the PNW Fleet, CYA.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome!
-joan
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 14:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starside View Post
Funny you should mention her engine, John, because one reason why she's at the yard is because I am having her converted to electric. She did have a Diesel 3-cyl Perkins (a nice little engine), but she was so loud, I couldn't even hear my radio. Also, my boat is a "Elco" and they are still in business and make electric launches, so it just made sense (for me) to convert her to an electric Elco propulsion system, at least for my type of cruising.

Honestly, most people express dismay when I mention the conversion, but I've always wanted an electric launch as it is better suited to me as a nature lover and bird watcher. On the Chesapeake, I'll be able to cruise year-round, and as the 2nd largest estuary on the planet, we get some amazing waterfowl that I hope I can capture in my little electric boat.

Anyway, the conversion is rather intense, but I can't wait until she's launched again next year. There's something to be said about cruising with no noise -- well, I guess the sail boaters understand.

Howdy and Ahoy and Welcome!

I saw the title and before seeing your photo of your boat I was thinking "Elco Patrol Torpedo Boat."

Your boat looks very nice and I think the idea of conversion to the Elco electric propulsion is a great idea and will make it even nicer…especially quiet and cool for silently gliding in the water.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimini View Post
Hi Starside, we are nearby, up in Selby Bay. I'm excited for you and the electric conversion! I am planning an eventual electric conversion on our sailboat, most likely next winter after I address the more urgent upgrades to our (new to us) 30 y.o. boat.

I was wondering if it might be possible to stop by sometime and see how the conversion is going. I've read almost everything I can find on line, but it would be great to see an actual installation.
Very exciting! and I'm happy to show you. My boat is being converted now and the yard is working closely with Elco (Starside is an Elco, so that was an easy choice for me).

Anyway, Starside's engine has already been removed, but the yard is finishing up her refastening first before they start the conversion in December.

I'd be happy to meet up with you and we can go over together. She's in the covered bay and I want to respect the yard -- that is, they don't like just anyone wandering around, but I could introduce you to them. In fact, my boat is their first conversion, so if you do decide to convert your own boat, they would be a good choice, b/c by then, they'll have the experience.

Meanwhile, check out Elco's website if you haven't done so already -- do a search for "Elco Electric Motor," and you'll get the site and tutorials. There's a lot of information there...
Old 03-11-2014, 19:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
I'm not in your are, do have a look at the Classic Yacht Association you will find many Classic Owners.

I am a member of the PNW Fleet, CYA.

Lloyd
Lloyd, I have contacted the CYA twice via their website and haven't heard anything from them, so I gave up, but if you have a contact here on the East Coast you can hook me up with, I'd really appreciate it. I'm a member of the Antique Classic Boat Association, and they have been amazing, but most of their boats are smaller...and I'd love to get involved with CYA, assuming they are active in my neck of the woods. (I'm not sure they are...either that or the website doesn't function very well...)