Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 15:04   #61

Re: Catamaran in the Philippines

i'm very interested in your comment about this region favoring the shallow cats. i'm much in the same boat as bruce. can't wait to be on my floating apt with all the amenities. i initially was looking at the 34' american tug, and others like it for their sea worthiness, and overall rugged, functional impression i get from them. but the cat has some real advantages in upper space and fuel efficiency. could it's accessing shallow areas unreachable by semi-displacement hulls be really be important? now, i will not be doing any exploring, just light fishing just a few miles out, and parked in the marina on any day less that optimum with occasional 100-200 trips to other islands. there doesn't appear to be a lot of yacht friendly ports in PH. should that make the choice of a cat all the more important?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sounds like you will need some sailing lessons. The Phils are an ideal place for a cat & tri. Especially a tri with the shallow waters, and with over 7k islands you will never run of places to visit & drop the hook.......lessons, lessons, lessons........i2f
nuccifilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 16:10   #62

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

nuccifilms -

This is an old thread and unfortunately John (i2f) passed away in the meantime.
He is missed.
Old 25-10-2016, 04:25   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
The boat is hand built from wood and fiberglass - it is probably more rugged and slower than most commercial boats similar to it in size.

The mast is only 42' from where it sits on top of the bulkhead that separates the salon from the cockpit. This is a bit far back but Nigel gave me a choice of where I wanted it and I didn't want the mast (support) in the salon. This means that the mainsail is not as long as it might be - but since Nigel rigs his boats without a mainsail I didn't see this as a problem. If you compare with other commercial boats the mast is about 10' shorter - Nigel explained why but you have to ask him - safety and rig tension. Nigel says that they are 'downwind' boats and primarily designed for comfortable living rather than sailing.

Originally the boat was going to be rigged to sail with a half height jib on the centerline and a genoa from each forward corner stay. Nigel has since changed his mind and is planning to rig the boat with a single genoa (or some such) on the centerline along with the jib (I think). Stays go to all four corners and there were originally plans for some side stays (shrouds?) - I will know more when I see it rigged. I figure that once I have some experience I can experiment with the sail plan and try the double genoa rig from the corner stays. I also think that it would be relatively easy to mount a small (200sqft?) mainsail using a bolt rope or hoops and leaving it footloose. My only experience has been sailing with a Bermuda (jib & mainsail) rig so I will just have to learn how to sail all over again.
I am just now reading thru this subject thread, so pardon me if i am replying to some older postings.

I think you will find a number of interesting rig postings and photos similar to those you discuss above:
Wishbone Sailing Rigs
Old 25-10-2016, 04:34   #64
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
No referigeration? You must prefer Rum over beer.
I am presently visiting with a friend onboard his 75' cat called Ppalu. He and his wife live onboard part time. His refrigeration is one of these Dometic units powered ONLY by two solar panels,....and it stays cold.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/MS-11346-...olers-Freezers

His AC needs are met by opening windows and by small 12v fans. His lighting is LEDs. The whole boat is solar. It can be done these days
Old 25-10-2016, 05:16   #65
Marine Service Provider

Picnic/Weekender Cat

A boat like this could make a great boat for the the Philippines.

Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - General Catamaran Discussion | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!
(scroll down to posting #19 for more photos, and other similar vessels)

If I were building one of these vessels I would be utilizing something like these prefab polycore panels instead of plywood.
Polycore Composites - Polycore Australia - Polycore Honeycomb
http://polycorecomposites.com/Polyco...sed-Panels.php

...or Duflex panels
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ong-22948.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PowerCat Thailand 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	133813  
Old 28-10-2016, 07:10   #66

Hi Bruce.
How have you been getting on since 2011 post?
I have just joined this site and noticed your post bacause its mentioned Philippines.
Two of us are headed out there on 4th Nov (next week).
We are both ICC certed (monohull though) and are looking to crew on a boat for a few days and cover skippers costs.
Let us know if this would be of interest to you guys..We are Brits, male and female in our thirties.

All the best
Dom
sv goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 11:14   #67

hi bruce,
i've been following your initial footsteps, where i hope my path ends with me retired, on my own 30 foot something powercat in one of the cebu marinas. could you be of any help in any leads that will put me in contact with nigel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Hi Daruffians! Last I heard Nigel was still in Tambobo living on his three story cat. Yes, I still have my catamaran and we are currently in Carmen, Cebu at Zeke's. Still some work to do on the cat - as always. Zeke charges P8,000/mo to tie to his dock/pier which includes water. I pay an additional P400/mo for electricty. I was moored off the Cebu Yacht Club (really expensive to join) for several months - P400/night to use their mooring(s) which did not hold my cat and three of them got drug into deeper water. You can moor for free at Zeke's as some yachts do with no charge to tie the dingy - I have been seduced by not having to haul water so am willing to pay the fee. Still, Liza would like to sell the cat and move back on land - or to the USA. I am content here and our small dog, Pearl, is OK with boat life as well. I suspect that I will eventually have to give in - just not today. Good Luck. Have a good day.
Old 14-11-2016, 16:11   #68

Hi im from australia with a pinoy beautifull wife you desires are the same as ours .we too are about to build a cat in philippines just for the two of us plus my dog .. boat is to be a humble 38 foot was going to buy in australia . And sail to leyte . But .as offshore shore boats can only stay in philippines for 12 months ..better to get local ..love your passion and thoughts so many islands to explore .
0224scalpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 18:49   #69
Marine Service Provider

Misting Fan

Here is an item that could become very handy to have over in that part of the world.
And it can be made to operate off of a lithium-ion battery that also powers cordless tools.

https://www.arcticcove.com/product/1...ent-title-link
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misting fan.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	136216  
Old 14-11-2016, 20:13   #70

a little bit of an update with me. i've found the most ideal boat for me and my wife, thr schionning growler gtr8800. there are budget minded, good builders of the kit in thailand. about $160k USD without the outboard motors. it is a somewhat light, shorter and wider powercat, giving it an extremely shallow 12 inch draft and ability to run more efficiently than most anything else relying on just engine power. check it out. it is really not sacrificing much from the 38 foot slightly bigger cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0224scalpel View Post
Hi im from australia with a pinoy beautifull wife you desires are the same as ours .we too are about to build a cat in philippines just for the two of us plus my dog .. boat is to be a humble 38 foot was going to buy in australia . And sail to leyte . But .as offshore shore boats can only stay in philippines for 12 months ..better to get local ..love your passion and thoughts so many islands to explore .
Old 28-02-2018, 13:25   #71

Boat: Leopard 38

Hello Bruce,

are you in the Philippines or can you give me advice?

Kind regards
Alex
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 20:52   #72

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Hi Alex! Yes, I am still here in the PI on my catamaran with Liza and Pearl - still in Carmen, Cebu (actually at the Republic Drydock in Danao at Zeke's marina). I will be glad to provide advice if I can. You can contact me off CF at Bruce626 [@] gmail [dot] com as this can speed things up a bit. Have a good day.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, Philippines