Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 12:58   #1

Cartoonist Ahoy !

A great big “ahoy” to all of you from a previous “lurker.”

I’m a Toronto ON based cartoonist (I’ll post a couple of them), and have been following the threads on here from all of you very knowledgeable people for quite some time with my girlfriend (Who’s my soon to be wife, I just hate using that six letter “f” word. The one with the proverbial “nails on a chalkboard” ring to it…)

We want to join in all the fun you’re having out there, and we have been talking about it and researching it for over a year. Although we’ve learned a lot this year, the biggest thing we’ve learned is that we have a lot more to learn. But, no bother. We’re too excited, and it’s lit a fire in us to learn all we can about our new passion. We’ve both sailed before, but have nowhere near the knowledge we’d need. Yet. Big yet.

Our plan in a nutshell:

We aren’t rich, so we’re looking to do it on a shoestring. The plan is to work like dogs, save save save, and hopefully buy something on the less expensive side this year, literally between $10-$20k for a +/- 32 footer with a fiberglass hull. While understanding that the boat may not be prepared for long journeys, at that point, neither will we. So – we crew a lot in Toronto this summer, and work on said boat while the weather is still warm. Then – this is the tricky part – winter on our boat to complete some of the tasks that will need attention to the inside of the boat, and of course, save a lot of money. Then next year, finish the reno’s to the deck and hull (with a copy of “This old boat” beside me, and help from my new found and very friendly community). All of this while we’re still employed, spending money on the boat and saving money all the while for our cruising kitty. We’d hope to be able to sail her a little in the summer of 2012 around Lake Ontario and hone some of the skills that people have been so good to teach us. And then – make the move… late summer, head down the ICW and spend a long while living frugally in the Caribbean/Bahamas. I understand the ICW is shallow in parts, it is a lot of motoring…. I’ve done lots of research. But, with the motor going, and a little bit of sailing with a shore on either side, and lots of other boats, I think it would be a tremendous learning experience to add on to the knowledge we’ve already acquired. In fact, the trip from Toronto to Norfolk will probably be more treacherous! And the ultimate goal; If I can just double the business of what we’re doing with my comic strip right now, we may just not come back.

That was long, sorry. We’re just very excited, and are looking to make friends all over, and especially in Toronto if anyone would be so generous to help us up to your level. We’d be much obliged.

Thanks in advance, cruisers. In a couple of years, we won’t have to be jealous anymore.

T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dibbs.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	22966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second hand.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	22967  

inkthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 13:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Welcome aboard. I love the cartoons! I look forward to hearing and seeing more from you

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 13:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, inkthomson.

Where can we see more of your 'tunes?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 09:13   #4

Thanks! And you can check out more at the Facebook page. Join up and you'd be doing me a favour!

Ink cartoons | Facebook

But! Back to our cruising plan... Do the goals we have set out (in pencil) work? It sounds like a "do-able" plan.....right?

Thanks again..
Old 21-01-2011, 10:57   #5

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Welcome aboard! Good to see another Great Lakes sailor here. Not only is your plan doable, but it's realistic. If you want to get in some time on a smaller boat and a better lake, send me a PM- crew is always welcome on Whiskeyjack.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:56   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Welcome aboard

Plan sounds in the ballpark - certainly not the most "optimistic" that arrived on CF

My only caution would be the living aboard in Winter - Canada sounds cold - and boats can be cold places, especially those unfinished inside / not insulated.........appreciate that you folks may be built hardier than round these parts but might be worth having a plan B for living ashore, eve n if you hope not to. Even a bare 1 room bedsit ashore may be better than sitting in a floating fridge 24/7

But I've never been to Canada, so for all I actually know Toronto could be the Tropical part of Canada - with winters in the high 20's............

........but cold? brrrrrrrr
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:38   #7

Oh yes, it will be cold. Ridiculously cold. It'll probably feel like we're in shock, but ya gotta pay to play.

It would just take more research on how to do it... there are a few in Toronto and area who make it work. So... as much as we're not looking forward to it, we do look forward to what's on the tail end of it.
Old 21-01-2011, 13:47   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
That very subject is also being dicussed here ... from a Kingston perspective.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rio-53342.html

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 13:46   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have another sailor with a sense of humor here.
kind regards,
Old 29-01-2011, 07:53   #10

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes! We are very excited to get rolling...Er.... floating on this great style of life. Keep the info coming, I'm on this forum reading the wisdom constantly.
Old 29-01-2011, 23:32   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well cool!!! Love the cartoonists - I hit the like button on your FB page! Gotta say, I don't get the one with Mr Happy and the PacLady.....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 17:11   #12

Hey - thanks Saucy! Pac Man came home to find Ms. Pac in bed with the happyface, everyone being round, yellow, and all... Try this one.... Keep smiling, tell a friend, and keep the sailing wisdom coming.

Really excited to get out there...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4112957139.png
Views:	163
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	23312