Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 11:01   #1

C&C 29 and lovin it.

A quick Hello from a new guy on the site. I saw this site mentioned on Sailnet and thought I would check it out. As I don't have enough time to make all of the mistakes on my own, I figure I can try to learn from the experience of you all.
Hannah Lee is my first keeled boat, having learned to sail on E scows and Hobie Cats. I also spent about 20 years windsurfing before buying a 78 C&C 29. (It is so different sailing and not getting wet ,well, mostly anyway.) Last year, our first full year of ownership, I taught my wife the basics of sailing and she is more comfortable each outing. I do have to realize that she isn't as aggressive a sailor as I. When I forget, we both suffer. But she is getting there.
We sail mostly in the Navesink river in NJ, which I find a bit confining. But when the tides are right we motor out to Sandy Hook Bay. Eventually we want to venture up to NYC and Long Island sound and other coastal stuff.
Nuff said for now.
BP
Bruceyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 11:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME aboard, Brucep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceyp View Post
... As I don't have enough time to make all of the mistakes on my own, I figure I can try to learn from the experience of you all ... BP
It's a wise man who profits by his own experience, but it's a good deal wiser one who lets the rattlesnake bite the other fellow; or as Oscar Wilde said: "I am not young enough to know everything."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 11:14   #3

Gordy,
What year is your 29? How do you like her?
Mine is more "tender than most as she has a Shoal (4') keel. But She's great.
BP
Old 24-07-2008, 11:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
As I don't have enough time to make all of the mistakes on my own, I figure I can try to learn from the experience of you all.
It's a good try but the mistakes give you plenty of time to find them. It sounds like your prior background was not for nothing. It takes a while to learn that so much of it is really the same ideas. All the extra boat sometimes hides that fact.

Getting your wife into sailing techniques is the best way to make it more comfortable and more fun for her and that means more fun for you both. When you both sail it means your ability to travel far is actually possible and you can set your own limits.

Best of luck and I'm sure there is plenty here to entertain your time on shore.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 11:22   #5

Thanks PB,
Yeah, after Flipping Scows and Hobies over I feel like I can heel to 45 degrees and still not panic. The Admiral on the other hand....
Actually, that is one of the biggest lessons to learn. Don't panic. Use your head. Unless of course the Admiral has just emptied the last cold one! Then it is time to panic!
BP
Old 24-07-2008, 13:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our (1984) 29 was the smaller (28'-6") "new" one.
Lived aboard for 9 years, and hated (NOT) every moment.
It's not the boat - it's the life.

Old 25-07-2008, 11:14   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha BP,
Welcome aboard! A suggestion, try not to heel to 45 degrees. Your boat will sail faster up to about 15 and it'll keep your first mate happier. Just kidding - I know you know that already.
I've never sailed on a scow but I heard they are really fast and nimble.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 12:14   #8

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Hey BP

Similar situation with my Admiral being into her 2nd season sailing. I've learned to reef often and early. She's enjoying it a lot more now that I'm keeping the scuppers dry. SkipperJohn is right about the amount of heel. Last week we were in 15 knots with a double reefed main and half a Genny and were doing hull speed with only 8-10 degrees of heel. She (the Admiral) was grinning from ear to ear. I even got a coldie delivered to the helm at the end of the day. That'd be a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

All the best!
Old 25-07-2008, 12:53   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
... Similar situation with my Admiral being into her 2nd season sailing. I've learned to reef often and early...
Similar situation with ME, being into (much) more than my second decade of sailing. I too, have learned to reef deep and reef early.

Old 28-07-2008, 04:46   #10

Skipr,
Yeah, E Scows were fun when I was younger. Now they would be too demanding on this aging body. The owner of the scow liked to see how far he could heel the boat without it actually going over. Miscalculations were frequent. The standing joke was that every time he put a new wind indicator on top of the mast , he would lose it in the mud. But it was fun.
Bp

Tags
c&c