Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 14:09   #1

Boat: C&C 27 Libelula
C&C 27 on the way to cape cod

Dear all,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and my family. My husband, toddler and I own an orange C&C 27 Mk I. We love our Libelula and our homeport in near Baltimore Maryland. This summer (in a few weeks actually !) we are going to cape cod to spend the summer living aboard in Woods Hole. We have never made this trip before, so if there are any insights into how to make this trip more fun and safe, please share with us. Currently, Our main concerns are sailing in the ocean in NJ and Hell Gate.

thanks and cheers!
Old 12-05-2008, 14:46   #2
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by libelula View Post
Dear all,

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and my family. My husband, toddler and I own an orange C&C 27 Mk I. We love our Libelula and our homeport in near Baltimore Maryland. This summer (in a few weeks actually !) we are going to cape cod to spend the summer living aboard in Woods Hole. We have never made this trip before, so if there are any insights into how to make this trip more fun and safe, please share with us. Currently, Our main concerns are sailing in the ocean in NJ and Hell Gate.

thanks and cheers!
Hell Gate is just a spot on the East River where it's a bit narrow and there is a good current. You will want to time it so you are going with the current in this area, as the top speed of the C&C27 will make it difficult for you to get through in a reasonable amount of time. There are some commercial tugs and stuff going through, but the name is scarier than the spot itself. There are plenty of posts on here about Hell Gate. Take a search.

During this trip, the three bodies of water you will want to pay attention to for exposure are:

*Chesapeake
*Long Island Sound
*Buzzard's Bay

These places seem protected, but often whip up a good chop that is steep and nasty compared to the larger, but more gentle swells you get during the ocean legs of the trip.

Also, the current going into Woods Hole by Naushon Island is pretty darn fast itself.

Sorry I can't write a more detailed account, but I'm trying to get a laptop up and running for nav. Broke my other one on the steep chop in the Chesapeake the other day!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:04   #3

Boat: C & C Wave 26
Off topic, but are you aware of the C & C 27 website? Lots of good info regarding your boat

http://www.cc27association.com/index.html

Good luck on your summer voyage
rickquann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 19:14   #4

Thanks!
yes the website is very useful. We have been using it as a resource for all of our refurbishing.
cheers
libelula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 19:29   #5

Thanks,
Hell gate does not seem that scary if you hit it at the right time.
We are very familiar with the Chesapeake, being our home port and we were out yesterday, and wow that was fun. We turned back before the winds got too bad, but Libelula is a good boat and was totally in her element (but we were sissies and only let out 1/2 of the Ginny).
We'll keep an eye out for buzzards.
My husband is more concerned about the New Jersey leg actually. He has never been in the ocean. I grew up in Rio de Janeiro and sailing in the ocean was almost all we did so I am more nonchalant about it. Any thoughts on going from cape may to sandy hook? I'll also do a search.
thanks again !
Old 13-05-2008, 02:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
New Jersey Tides:
New Jersey Tidal Locations, Tides Online, Tidesonline.com

Or:

Tides - Tidal Differences between locations: From Sandy Hook through Virginia!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 20:40   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Libelula,
Welcome aboard! I can't help you one little bit but hope you have a great cruised and vacation this summer.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 14:25   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Welcome aboard.

Our first boat was a C&C 34 that we kept on the Magothy River for almost 15 years.

I would recommend you to carefully consider the leg on the Delaware River/Bay as another one to look out for. It is tremendously important to pay attention to the tide v. wind on this stretch of water. I am sure the others on the C&C 27 website can give you more details there.

As far as offshore NJ goes you can hop up the NJ coast as ther are a number of inlets that can accomodate you. We always like to run from Cape May to Barnegat inlet or maybe Atlantic City to Barnegat and then up to Sandy Hook or the 79th St boat basin on the Hudson side of Manhattan Island.

If you have a good weather window, you can also consider running from Cape May to Block Island, but you might want to have at least 3 crew since it will be at least an overnight trip.

What is the height of your mast? If you decide to go through Hell Gate, I would strongly urge you to make sure you go during slack to just after the start of the flood which will give you a little push towards LI Sound. The trip past The Statue of Liberty and Manhattan Island is just an awesome experience! Enjoy!
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 18:41   #9

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Libelula, welcome aboard... It's a fun trip you are taking. As with any family cruise, I think picking your weather windows are critical. It's better to sit at the dock safe and sound than battle the elements if you don't have to, after all, you're on vacation!! Timing the tides and the currents are just as important.
I agree with Yagao, Delaware bay is not to be taken lightly, I have been beaten up there by weather and eaten alive by greenhead flys. ( flyswatters are essential! )
It's a long trip down the delaware.. If it's a hot day I stop the boat and jump in the water to cool off....or tow along on a line.

You can lay over in Chesapeake City if needed to time the current. I've also layed over at south jersey marina in Cape May, a little pricey but great showers and they can get you a table at the Lobster house next door . The run up the outside can be terrific. It's about a 24 hour run, plus or minus to Sandy hook. You can lay over at the Highlands, Horseshoe cover or one of the marinas ( Liberty Harbor, Newport) on the Jersey side of the Hudson, to time the current at Hell Gate. The cruising guide recommends hitting the battery 2 hours after low tide. I believe this timing also gets you a favorable current when you hit the sound. ( the currents run opposite) I've left after that and held a favorable current through the gate. Plan this carefully. You can duck behind Governors island and enter the east river to avoid the Staten island ferries. Keep to the Brooklyn side
There's big ship ancorages on either side keep a good watch for tugs etc.

If you have to duck in on the Jersey Coast, Atlantic City is easy. Little egg is a gorgeous natural inlet but, poorly marked and can break. Barnegat can be dicey follow the locals. I prefer Manasaquan but the currents in the river need to be respected. Brielle has a few tie ups, and nearby restaurants. If the weather is good I'd stay outside. Listen to the forecasts...don't wait for the weather to turn bad to run an inlet. I like to cruise along 2 to 3 miles off, ( 60 foot of water ) The big ships are usually further out. You'd want to enter New York harbor in the daylight. There are few supplies on the Hudson so get what you need before you get there.

You might want to carry extra fuel ( diesel) I carry an extra supply in my anchor locker ( secured) I have found that when cruising you're usually on some kind of schedule, or have the wind on your nose!. I think I end up motor sailing at least 50 % of the time. Not my preference, just reality.

I have the Northern Crusing guide and a few other cruising books that give you good information about the waters as well as phone numbers for marinas, berths, fuel docks etc. City island has no diesel if you need fuel Manahasett bay ( the capri marina is a quick in and out. ) I liked the Long Island side of the LI sound.
There are some nice stops and good anchorages. I found Port Jefferson to be a good Layover they have lots of moorings and launch service. Watch the ferries.
Port Jeff is a good Run from Block Island or the islands, you might cross over to Old Saybrook on the Connecticut river ( 40 miles I think) to set you up for your trip through the race. it's an easy in easy out layover. ( again, timing is key) Or you can head to the Fishtail.
SSullivan is correct Buzzards bay is also to be respected, and there's a lot out there to read about the woods hole passage timing is critical.

If you've never sailed these waters, you might want to play with google earth!! you can take a virtual tour of every port of call it's fun. You can zoom in, and lay the image down to get a ships eye view. I love google earth!....and it's free.

I hope you have a great! fun! safe trip. I'll be up there in July!!...

Tempest..
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, cape cod