Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 09:11   #1

Buying Sailboats In the Med &

Hello All
So, being about a year or so out from being ready to start looking to buy, and now with the hurricanes in the Caribbean and the US mashing a lot of boats, I have started drooling of sailboats (mono) in the 30-37 ft range as advertised in Italy and the Med.
All things being equal, I think I can afford what I am seeing (there are sailboats in my price range) and I can travel etc to Italy and the Med.

However, one major question (for now): How to determine if a boat was a previous charter? and, should it matter much?

I have been reading these here pages for a while now, your collective knowledge and generosity in sharing is probably what makes the tides rise and fall

Thanks!!

redbrix
redbrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:19   #2
cruiser

Re: Buying Sailboats In the Med &

Tax and import status, unusually high number of engine hours and interior layout are usually good indicators as to the boats prior charter status. And yes it does matter.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 12:47   #3

thanks!
i did see a few that mentioned taxes paid/unpaid, a few mentioned charters, and engine hours all over the place. i was trying to figure out from the details provided which were obvious charters from the view of my desktop

a year is a long way out in my book, many things can happen, so am expanding my search options from my desktop until i can retire and go

thanks again
redbrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 15:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrix View Post
How to determine if a boat was a previous charter?
Simple: <10 years old Bene/Jeanneau/Dufour? 2+toilets, max number of berths, shoal draft? "Cheap"? = Charter.

Quote:
...and, should it matter much?
Is a set of new sails and a new engine much? If they are, than yes, it matters much. Also matters if you don't like the charter (=bus) layout.

Tags
boat, buying, sail, sailboat

« Avon redshank | New »