Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 13:19   #1

Build papers for C&C yacht

Sorry I'm not sure if this is the right place to post. But I have just purchased a C&C landfall 43 1984 and to help get cat1 in New Zealand I need the build papers can anyone help where I can find them

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dannyround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 14:40   #2

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Re: Build papers for C&C yacht

Try southshoreyachts.com They're based in Toronto Canada and carry many C&C parts. I bought my boat's build sheets from them over 10 years ago for $35 Canadian, unsure if they still carry them or not. If that doesn't work try the Kingston Maritime Museum in Kingston Ontario Canada.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 14:49   #3

Great thanks very much I'll try

Old 01-09-2015, 15:10   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "build sheet"? And why does the Cat One crew care about them? Just curious...

Jim
Old 01-09-2015, 15:30   #5

Cat1 in New Zealand is a rating that all yacht must have if they go offshore and want to clear out of the country the build papers help prove she is off adequate stability and strength. So I believe

Old 01-09-2015, 17:21   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Your best bet might be to try an owners group or other owner from a registry list. The actual papers for your boat probably went to the first owner and the factory copy, IIRC, of all that stuff was destroyed as the business went belly-up. Might very well be wrong about that, but that's what usually happened when companies closed shop.

If your boat was previously documented in the US, a record would still be on file, and again that might suffice for your authorities.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 17:45   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Rob McLachlan at South Shore Yachts | Certified Yacht Broker, C&C Parts and Service
is an ex C&C employee who bought all the inventory, blueprints etc. when they closed the doors and will be happy to sell you anything you need.
Old 01-09-2015, 20:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyround View Post
Cat1 in New Zealand is a rating that all yacht must have if they go offshore and want to clear out of the country the build papers help prove she is off adequate stability and strength. So I believe

G'Day DannyR,

Yep, I'm familiar with the NZ Cat 1 rules, and the need for inspection for outward clearance. I was one of the cruisers who forsook cruising in NZ when the infamous "section 21" rule was applied to overseas yachts cruising in NZ. A sad misapplication of political power...

And now this! If "build papers" means some sort of blueprint or designer's calculations/measurements, then a great many otherwise superb yachts will fail to get the coveted cat one rating. It's not just C&C... a great many builders of fine yachts have ceased business over the years, and in fact, many yachts are not delivered with such papers. Then there is the case of one-off vessels, such as my own. Built by a shipwright for his own usage, no papers of any sort came to me when I bought her, yet she is of superior construction. How would she fare if I sold her to a Kiwi who wanted to go offshore?

Anyhow, I'd sure like to hear the actual requirement, and the rationale behind it. Seems nonsensical to me!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-09-2015, 21:40   #9

Hay Jim I am finding out now if this is compulsoryto have theses papers with a surveyor now but I know it makes the stability measurements a lot easier. I agree it's pretty hard work.

Old 01-09-2015, 22:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day DannyR,

Yep, I'm familiar with the NZ Cat 1 rules, and the need for inspection for outward clearance. I was one of the cruisers who forsook cruising in NZ when the infamous "section 21" rule was applied to overseas yachts cruising in NZ. A sad misapplication of political power...

And now this! If "build papers" means some sort of blueprint or designer's calculations/measurements, then a great many otherwise superb yachts will fail to get the coveted cat one rating. It's not just C&C... a great many builders of fine yachts have ceased business over the years, and in fact, many yachts are not delivered with such papers. Then there is the case of one-off vessels, such as my own. Built by a shipwright for his own usage, no papers of any sort came to me when I bought her, yet she is of superior construction. How would she fare if I sold her to a Kiwi who wanted to go offshore?

Anyhow, I'd sure like to hear the actual requirement, and the rationale behind it. Seems nonsensical to me!

Cheers,

Jim
Does the category 1 thing still apply for non New Zealand registered boats to cruise in New Zealand?

I just read the information on their website, and it didn't indicate that any boats other than those that are New Zealand registered fall under this legislation.

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Recrea...t-overseas.asp

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Rules/...itime-rule.asp

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-09-2015, 22:53   #11

Quote:
Does the category 1 thing still apply for non New Zealand registered boats to cruise in New Zealand?
No, that legislation was thrown out some years ago when an angry yottie took it all the way to the NZ Supreme Court, overthrowing Ms Shipley's (sp?) pet rule. The 'section 21' nonsense cost the yachting support industries of NZ a lot, 'cause most of us went elsewhere for the cyclone (and refitting) seasons.

And DannyR, good luck with y our quest and your eventual certification.

Jim
Old 01-09-2015, 23:32   #12

Thanks hope to be sailing out on nz by May next year

Tags
yacht