Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2008, 22:48   #1

Brand Spankin New

I just joined here because I have been looking at getting into sailing for the past 3 or 4 hours and am gettting a pretty good idea of what to expect. I would really like it if anyone could offer any advice or tips to get me pointed in the right direction. I have seen boats, I like boats and I have even been on a few but I am unsure as to where the best place to begin is.
I live in Vancouver in the West End and really love the idea of being able to take off on a long weekend and sail up and down the coast. or even just go boogie around English Bay on a Sunday morning.... This sounds like a really great time to me and would like to make this dream a reality.
I dont have a ton of cash but so have some disposable income as I have no kids or wife... I see boats for around $5000 but it seems moorage can be a problem these days.
Anyways there is about about me and why I am here.
So if anyone wants to tip me off... go ahead!
hamdog9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 00:05   #2

Have ya been to sailfar,It's a great site for what you discribed as your main need.Mainly 30ft and under.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 09:01   #3

Not yet, but thanks for the suggestion!
I am open to any ideas.
Thanks mudnut!
hamdog9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 10:48   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ham,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and asking questions. It would good for you to go to a few marinas or clubs to get an idea about boats and their cost. The purchase price is just the beginning.
Sometimes it is much more prudent to start with a club that gives sail training and then offers chartering options.
For learning to sail and what the beginner needs to know I recommend "Start Sailing Right!" and there are a lot of sailing books in your public library.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 18:22   #5

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome. Take a sail and get hooked the rest of the way. . . . Again, welcome to the board!
Old 19-03-2008, 18:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdog9999 View Post
I just joined here because I have been looking at getting into sailing for the past 3 or 4 hours and am gettting a pretty good idea of what to expect.
fast learner...you'll do fine around here, welcome
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote